Art Farmer Live in Tokyo - CTI w/ Jackie McLean

That's going to be a tough one to find.

According to this CTI discography

the session was not initially released back in 1977 as CTI was in the throwes of bankruptcy at the time.

There apparently has been a subsequent Japanese CD release however (no surprise there).

Good luck in your search..........

Don

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this? In any format? Much obliged.

That's going to be a tough one to find.

According to this CTI discography

the session was not initially released back in 1977 as CTI was in the throwes of bankruptcy at the time.

There apparently has been a subsequent Japanese CD release however (no surprise there).

Good luck in your search..........

Don

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this? In any format? Much obliged.

Thanks Jazzy for looking this up for me! I had a feelling this was going to be an uphill battle. Damn!!

ART FARMER LIVE IN TOKYO

Art Farmer Meets Jackie McLean

Live at Yubin-Chokin Hall; Tokyo: April 27, 1977

Art Farmer (flhrn); Jackie McLean (as); Cedar Walton (p); Sam Jones (b); Billy Higgins (d).

a. Constellation (Charlie Parker) - 10:32

b. What's New (Bob Haggard/Johnny Burke) - 4:47

c. In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning (Dave Mann/Bob Hilliard) - 3:40

d. Love Letters (Victor Young/Edward Heyman) - 9:00

e. Moving Out (Sonny Rollins) - 10:05

g21074o8oly.jpg

Edited by Free For All

Something about this front line combination sounded familiar and sure enough, I looked at my list of private CD-Rs, and found this item of interest evidently broadcast the day before the recording above:

Tokyo, 26 April 1977: Farmer, McLean, Walton, Sam Jones, Higgins; 36 minutes

1) Bags' Groove

2) In a Sentimental Mood

3) Movin' Out

4) 'Round Midnight

Something about this front line combination sounded familiar and sure enough, I looked at my list of private CD-Rs, and found this item of interest evidently broadcast the day before the recording above:

1) Bags' Groove

2) In a Sentimental Mood

3) Movin' Out

4) 'Round Midnight

How's the sound quality??

And if so, would any or all of these tracks be suitable bonus material for a CD release of the date that this thread is about??

1) Bags' Groove

2) In a Sentimental Mood

3) Movin' Out

4) 'Round Midnight

How's the sound quality??

And if so, would any or all of these tracks be suitable bonus material for a CD release of the date that this thread is about??

I think the sound quality was OK. In a Sentimental Mood is incomplete, so that's out. Certainly the others would fit. Brings up another question - if something were broadcast, does the radio station retain any control of the resulting tapes? Or do the rights holders remain the artists or their estates, plus any labels that they were contractually obligated to?

Totally an uninformed guess here, but my money would be on the radio station retaining some rights to the material. What specific rights, I couldn't even begin to say, but if that weren't the case -- then wouldn't there be way more (legit) releases of "airchecks" than there are??

I mean, there are MANY good-quality airchecks that we've all (collectively) heard over the years (in collectors circles) -- a number of which would make incredible releases (for instance, I've heard a couple Woody Shaw things that are just as good as (or maybe even better than!) anything legitimately released with him).

So then, my theory is that it ain't just the artists and labels that have to get cleared. Otherwise, what accounts for some really outstanding recordings (performance and sound-quality both) never having been released.

(All this is wild-ass speculation on my part -- there are plenty here that know how this stuff really works, I and certainly will defer to their expertise.)