had a good burger lately?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the "In & Out" chain as good as "they" say?

Not sure, but it is pretty good.

Guy

In & Out never impressed me much when out west. One chain that did though, was Fatburger.

Some good-a-burgers can be found in Queens at Donovan's Pub in both Woodside and Bayside.

Bosna-Express in Ridgewood was recommened by clementine and it lived up to the hype.

When in Brooklyn, check out Dumont, or Peter Luger if you dare.

Some good-a-burgers can be found in Queens at Donovan's Pub in both Woodside and Bayside.

Bosna-Express in Ridgewood was recommened by clementine and it lived up to the hype.

I have to say that I recently went to Peter Lugers with three friends - three of us ordered steak, the other a burger. The guy who ordered a burger made a mistake.

OTOH, I've been to PL about 10 times and once got a really, really, really bad steak (the other 9 were among the best steaks I've ever had). So I suppose that my buddy could have just been unlucky and gotten a bad burger on a fluke.

Anyone ever had an Australian style hamburger? They put bacon, sunnyside up egg, beet and pineapple on their burgers. The really surprising thing is.... it's pretty good. I've had quite a few of them since I met the Australian side of my family.

Yech. I disagree. And BTW, generally speaking you gotta ask for the pineapple - it's called a Hawaiian burger. Same deal with Aussie pizzas in terms of egg, pineapple and so on. Thankfully, in the past decade or so there's a whole bunch of joints opened up doing real Italian style pizza. Yum.

My burger vote goes to Bud's Brolier in New Orleans. No.1, No.2, etc etc.

Here in Melbourne there's a growing trend of places that are sort of real upmarket McD's or Burger King. Grill'd is one of them - good meat and trimmings and fries, so much so that it is tasty and relatively healthy.

Where does the "Australian side" of your family come from? I need to know so I can choose the appropriate put downs. :P

Edited by kenny weir

I have to say that I recently went to Peter Lugers with three friends - three of us ordered steak, the other a burger. The guy who ordered a burger made a mistake.

OTOH, I've been to PL about 10 times and once got a really, really, really bad steak (the other 9 were among the best steaks I've ever had). So I suppose that my buddy could have just been unlucky and gotten a bad burger on a fluke.

It happens. I've only had one burger from Lugers and it was pretty damn good.

What's your pick for Manhattan?

And BTW, generally speaking you gotta ask for the pineapple - it's called a Hawaiian burger. Same deal with Aussie pizzas in terms of egg, pineapple and so on.

You're triggering memories here...first ham and pineapple pizza I ever had was in Australia, way back in '82. Sounded strange, but damn, it was good! (It was in Bunbury, if putdowns are required... ;) )

And BTW, generally speaking you gotta ask for the pineapple - it's called a Hawaiian burger. Same deal with Aussie pizzas in terms of egg, pineapple and so on.

You're triggering memories here...first ham and pineapple pizza I ever had was in Australia, way back in '82. Sounded strange, but damn, it was good! (It was in Bunbury, if putdowns are required... ;) )

None required. :P

Yeah there is quite a different culture here for such things. Dill pickles in burgers only came in with the arrival of the golden arches. The poms are different asgain from whats I recall. How could they call a burger chain Wimpy? :crazy:

Edited by kenny weir

Best burger?

Oh, that's easy:

[tommys1.jpg

BEST burger anywhere and on any planet :g

I was there a couple of times 20+ years ago. Yes, very very good, well worth visiting when in the LA area. Went there an extra time rather than try Fat Burger. :) I had chili fries on the 2nd visit. :party:

But I wouldn't call it the best, mainly because I could not pick just one. I do like 'em fat, grilled & rare too.

I've heard that neck meat makes the best burgers. I once had a burger that was partially from neck meat (hand ground) when I shared a camping spot in Canyonlands. It was very good, but I had hiked 16 miles that day, so a grilled lizard would have been tasty too. :lol:

Edited by Quincy

Best burger?

Oh, that's easy:

[tommys1.jpg

BEST burger anywhere and on any planet :g

I was there a couple of times 20+ years ago. Yes, very very good, well worth visiting when in the LA area. Went there an extra time rather than try Fat Burger. :) I had chili fries on the 2nd visit. :party:

I've never managed to make it to Tommy's whenever I've visited LA, but I have trouble believing their burger could best the one that was offered at another longtime LA burger joint, the late, much-lamented Jayburger. Fresh bun, hunk of meat, slice of cheese, chili and a fried egg on top, presented in a carefully-folded piece of paper as if it were a work of art. Unbelievably good.

Jay was a former employee of Tommy's who'd struck out on his own many years ago. First time we ever went to Jayburger, there was Jay chatting with customers new and old, quite dapper in his jacket and bowtie. Sadly, he got in a dispute with the landlord who owned the parking lot his stand was anchored in when the landlord wanted to redevelop the site, and Jayburger closed several years ago despite much vocal support from the community. Looks like it's changed hands and has reopened under new ownership and a new name (Sean's Burgers) since then. No idea what ever happened to Jay - he must be in his late eighties by now, if he's still alive.

Hard to say. Here are a few picks by neighborhood:

West Village: Corner Bistro over on Jane Street.

Little Italy/Soho: Eight Mile Creek on Mulberry is the place that adds the lamb fat to the beef.

Hell's Kitchen: Island Burger (on ninth street?). Only problem is they don't do fries.

Daniel's burger, though gimmicky, is really good. But like I said it isn't a real burger.

Little Italy/Soho: Eight Mile Creek on Mulberry is the place that adds the lamb fat to the beef.

Hell's Kitchen: Island Burger (on ninth street?). Only problem is they don't do fries.

Daniel's burger, though gimmicky, is really good. But like I said it isn't a real burger.

Island does the fried pickles, right?

Burger Joint on 57th Street is good.

Island does the fried pickles, right?

Burger Joint on 57th Street is good.

Not sure about Island and fried pickles. Not a big pickle person.

I keep hearing that Burger Joint is good, but they don't deliver to my office, and I only go to midtown to work, so...