Visiting Arizona

JohnS

We'll be visiting Arizona again at the end of the month and into early October. We've been to Flagstaff before but despite being snowed in some of the time managed to get the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Sedona and more. We'll want to head back there in better weather but what are the essential places we need to try to see in the south of the state to get a real taste of the west.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely try the local chilis. I can easily handle a raw habanero, but some red jalapenos that I bought in a Phoenix area grocery store were pretty fierce!

Also, there's a good Cowtown Boots, which is an outlet for Justins and Tony Lamas with undetectable flaws and no label, but for $69.99 instead of two hundred bucks. They last for years! Terrific value.

Personally, Flagstaff's the only city in the state (among those I've visited which includes probably every city over 50,000 population) that I like. Sedona's good for a laugh. Friends whose tastes I trust claim to like Tucson, but it's never really done anything for me. Still, in terms of scenery and geology, Arizona's a nice place. Just watch out for the silver and turquoise (sp?) jewelry.

You just missed the rodeo in Payson. :D Used be greatt bar fights. High school reunion coming up.

Sedona was great 30 years ago. We used to grab a couple of 6 packs and go there to get away from the big city of Payson.

If you are in Payson or Tonto Basin tell 'em Clark says 'hi'.

Shrdlu: Definitely try the local chilis. I can easily handle a raw habanero, but some red jalapenos that I bought in a Phoenix area grocery store were pretty fierce!

You can handle a raw habanero? My hat's off to you, sir! Though if that's tame enough for you, a mere jalapeno shouldn't even cause you to break a sweat!

Going in the wrong direction, I urge everyone to visit the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

So it's worth the trip, huh? I know it's a lot less busy and commercialized- is that the draw? Less people and more nature? I've been to the south rim many times and have wondered about the "other side". Last time my wife and I were there we stayed in the park so we could do both the sunset and sunrise- that's about the coolest thing I've ever seen. How do they look from the north rim?

BTW Chuck, I picked up "God is in the House" and it's a beautiful thing.

I enjoy going to Bisbee, Arizona. It's a few miles from Tombstone... about 1.5 hours from Tucson.

Bisbee is an old mining town which is still intact. The old hotel, The Copper Queen, is still there and still open for business. The old-style architecture is nice to see. You can purchase good food, good coffee, and other tourist treasures. One of the restaurants, I forgot which, plays 1920s & 1930s jazz on their speaker system.

You can take a tour through the old mine. It's interesting to start the mine tour on the surface in the 100° weather, then travel into the mine where the temperature is around 50°.

http://bisbeearizona.com/

The problem with Phoenix is I don't know that there is really much worth seeing.

What I mean by that is people come here more just to get away from the cold, so we have a shit load of resorts and golf courses.

If you want shopping try here...

http://fashionsquare.westcor.com/

or here...

http://www.shopbiltmore.com/

Some good food....

http://www.digitalcity.com/phoenix/dining/....adp?vid=207466

I have a soft spot for this place. ;) The top-notch pastry chef is our ex-governor.

Steak...

http://www.durantsfinefoods.com/

Try a martini.

And check out Frank Lloyd Wright's house.

http://slipdogg.com/fllw/buildings/west.php

Aggie, jalapenos are theoretically nowhere near as hot as habaneros, and that's why I was surprised to find that the jalapenos were so hot. They were red, by the way, not green, but still ...

Over $200 for a pair of Justins? Way out of my price bracket, especially when there's nothing wrong with the "seconds" from Cowtown. Mind you, I only wear cowhide and similar ones, no exotics like Paraguayan snake.

Going in the wrong direction, I urge everyone to visit the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

So it's worth the trip, huh? I know it's a lot less busy and commercialized- is that the draw? Less people and more nature?

What you said, and it is around 1100 feet higher so the flora and fauna are different. You drive through some beautiful meadows on the way - we saw elk grazing. We arrived too late for sunrise, but stayed 'til dark. Lodge and cabins available. We stayed overnight on the south rim too.

I once spent a summer at archaeology field school in Payson. Had my first legal drink at a bar there that is now an auction house - how times change.

Anyway, my opinion is to do more in the northern half of the state, above the Mogollon Rim, at higher than 5000 feet. The Hopis mesas are wonderful, as are all the other National Monuments, etc. in the northern half of the state. I also like Meteor Crater near Winslow, but it has its cheesy tourist elements.

And there's always Biosphere in Oracle, just outside of Tucson. ^_^

once spent a summer at archaeology field school in Payson. Had my first legal drink at a bar there that is now an auction house - how times change

I suppose you were looking for native American items.

We were at Punkin Center(Tonto Basin) when this old guy invites us for drinks at his shack. He was about 80 with classic bowed legs. Attached to his shack was 'his' collection of artifacts. Amazing display of items he'd collected over the years. He was going to donate it to a museum when he passed.

Hi-jack off.