Impulse! Reissues

tcd74

Just curious, I work at a record store and I have noticed in the past few months that quite an amount of impulse! cd's that we've always stocked here are starting to pop up on delete lists and are going oop. For example Elvin Jones Dear John C., Freddie Hubbard Body and Soul, McCoy Tyner Live at Newport I believe are no longer in print.

Now since they are tied in to the Verve music group are all these classic titles being deleted. Come to think of the Verve reissues have slowed to a crawl as well. I sure hope they're not deleted, great stuff and still consistent sellers at the store. Maybe their just deleting the titles in Canada and becoming imports from the U.S. ??? If anybody has any more information on the Verve/Impulse! reissue policy it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Todd

Greetings, TCD!

It's a long story, but basically, the situation at the Verve Music Group/Universal has been a mess for several years. A recent email from Blue Note's Michael Cuscuna said that things were still not great. It seems that the high ups are not very sympathetic about the massive amount of great jazz recordings that they control.

Your post is a timely warning that anyone who wants any U.S. Impulse reissues might want to think about getting them soon.

But I'm not an insider, so I'm no authority on this.

The U.S. (or, rather, non-Japanese) reissue program of Impulse albums on CD has been mainly produced by Michael Cuscuna, of course, though it's several years since he did that.

If anyone does miss out on any Impulse CDs, it's good to know that there have been a lot of LPs in good shape on eBay for the last few years. The pressings of these through 1972 sound way better than the U.S. CDs.

Just curious, I work at a record store and I have noticed in the past few months that quite an amount of impulse! cd's that we've always stocked here are starting to pop up on delete lists and are going oop. For example Elvin Jones Dear John C., Freddie Hubbard Body and Soul, McCoy Tyner Live at Newport I believe are no longer in print.

Now since they are tied in to the Verve music group are all these classic titles being deleted. Come to think of the Verve reissues have slowed to a crawl as well. I sure hope they're not deleted, great stuff and still consistent sellers at the store. Maybe their just deleting the titles in Canada and becoming imports from the U.S. ??? If anybody has any more information on the Verve/Impulse! reissue policy it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Todd

Looks like I missed out on 'Dear John C.', which I always meant to pick up. Thoughts on that title? Worth the premium it now is going for on Amazon Marketplace? I like Mariano a lot, FWIW.

"Dear John C" is an awesome album, Felser! I have not heard the CD, so I can't comment on the sound quality on that, but I strongly recommend the album itself, especially if you're a Mariano fan.

There's an intense vibe throughout, and the lineup is first-rate: Hank Jones, Roland Hanna and Richard Davis. The first track (which is the title track), a modal piece, is really electric. (Wish it lasted longer.)

Several 50s and 60s sessions were marred by mediocre alto players (bad intonation the worst problem) and so Mariano, being such a good player, is extra welcome.

I would look out for the LP on eBay, as that sounds wonderful. eBay has a lot of Impulse LPs in good shape. Look for the orange-black label, or black with red outer ring. Those are by Rudy van Gelder.

Charlie is also well-featured on the Impulse Chico Hamilton album "The Further Adventures of El Chico". You would enjoy that, too. LPs of it are on eBay, and there was a Japanese CD.