Favorite "underrated" movies with Jimmy Stewart

So, what are some really great Jimmy Stewart movies that I haven't seen before??

Not the Hitchcock movies with Jimmy, cuz I've certainly seen all of them (who hasn't??), and "Anatomy of a Murder", which is also great. I've also seen "Harvey", "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", and the perennial favorite "It's a Wonderful but Overplayed Movie".

If it helps any, my favorite Jimmy Stewart movie might well be "Vertigo", since he plays a more complicated character in it. Quite nice to see Stewart in a darker role.

Anyway, here's his All Movie Guide bio, with a huge list of movies that he was in...

Link: James Stewart "All Movie Guide" entry

Especially, what are some of his best "lesser known" films???

Rooster, some choices, depending out your taste, which I assume runs more serious from what you said but will toss in a few comedies as well. First, Call Northside 777 is very underrated, check out the review, though there are always spoilers in their reviews...Winchester '73 his first turn at a serious western, which seemed so far off from what he could play till he did it...when he pushes a guy's head down into a bar in one scene, he looked as crazy as I have ever seen him look! :ph34r:

My favorite western of his is Naked Spur (directed by Anthony Mann who directed him in several films) I will now get lazy and post what Allmovie says///Stewart plays a taciturn frontiersman who loses his home while he's off fighting the Civil War. To raise enough money for a new grubstake, Stewart becomes a bounty hunter in Colorado territory. His first quarry is fugitive, killer Robert Ryan. Stewart's efforts to bring in Ryan and collect the reward are compromised by the presence of Ryan's loyal girl friend Janet Leigh and Stewart's two disreputable sidekicks, wily prospector Millard Mitchell and disgraced Union-officer Ralph Meeker. There's plenty of "cat and mouse" byplay between Stewart and Ryan before the brutal climax; the drama is intensified by the fact that both men are on the outer rim of total insanity.

No Highway in the Sky is a suspenseful tale about an engineer who, as allmovie saysengineer who has formed a scientific theory about metal fatigue in a specific model of aircraft. He tries to convince British Airways that their airplanes will come apart after a certain amount of miles, but no one believes him.

now, comedy wise, Destry Rides Again is very good, it saved Dietrich's career, (she is also in No Highway in the Sky) The Shop Around the Corner, with the ultra sexy voiced Margaret Sullivan in the first and best version of You've Got Mail....I mentioned on another thread that I didn't "get" why Harvey was so well thought of, but it grew on me each time I caught it, to the point it is one of my favorite Stewart films...and Peggy Dow....is a babe! ;)

It's a Wonderful World(no, I didn't confuse the film title!) from 1939 with Claudette Colbert , and Vivacious Lady from 1938 with Ginger Rogers are both out of print, but you might find them...but start with the earlier ones if you have missed them! Many Anthony Mann westerns to see if you like them!

How many of his western movies have you seen? Some of them are among his best work as an actor. I'd particularly recommend Naked Spur, Bend of the River, and Winchester '73. If you really can't stand westerns then just see Winchester '73, which everyone should see once.

Flight of the Phoenix is probably his last decent movie, though it's a bit on the long side. Magic Town (1947) is a good idea that's handled poorly, but is worth a rental. Stewart's appearence in the second Thin Man movie, After the Thin Man, is worth the price of admission. And if you haven't seen Shop Around the Corner (1940), by all means, give it a look.

One of my all-time favorites. I loved him in Rope (actually ALL the Hitchcocks), Liberty Valance, The Shootist, Flight of the Phoenix and I can't help but enjoy the Glenn Miller Story, with all its faults. I love the part where Glenn discovers his "sound". :)

I had a girlfriend once who was from Indiana, PA (Stewart's home town- there is a statue of him there).

As I said in another thread, I love the part in It's A Wonderful Life where we get to see the evil Potter-controlled version of Bedford Falls. THAT place had the best jazz. Figures.

Remember the SNL skit about the "lost ending" to IAWL? After the Auld Lang Syne scene they all went to the bank and beat the shit out of Potter (Jon Lovitz). An actual funny bit on SNL.

I also loved Jimmy on the Tonight Show.

Edited by Free For All