remembering benny

alocispepraluger102

Is there any BG worth listening to after the 1940s? His career after the 40s seems to be focused on nostalgia, whereas many other artists from the swing era (Duke, Mary Lou Williams, Hawk, Benny Carter, even Basie etc.) moved on.

Personally, if you think Basie "moved on" then I'd say Benny did too, at least as "far."

I like a lot of Benny's fifties and sixties smaller group work (more than orchestra) with great players such as Zoot Sims, Red Norvo et al. The Yale box sets are quite good listening, and there are others (mainy of which aren't on cd).

I guess I was thinking there's enough contrast between the old and new testament basie bands to qualify as 'moving on'.

I realize Basie's more creative arrangers were somewhat constrained by him (Thad Jones comes to mind) but my impression is that Basie was more adaptible in his approach than BG. I don't think Thad Jones would have lasted quite as long in BG's big band as he did with Basie! I need to check out the Goodman small group stuff, as you suggest.

Oh. Sorry, no such problems here w/this Firefox, but sorry anyways.

Here's a link: http://bp2.blogger.com/_ff5MJzk-sRY/Rg3BgP...odmanMoscow.jpg

The legendary/infamous USSR tour captured for posterity, including one or two "band comments". Damn good latter-day Goodman, and a snapshot of NYC's early 60s studio mafia posing as mad gypsies and road dogs, which at one point, a lot of them no doubt had been.

Oh. Sorry, no such problems here w/this Firefox, but sorry anyways.

Here's a link: http://bp2.blogger.com/_ff5MJzk-sRY/Rg3BgP...odmanMoscow.jpg

The legendary/infamous USSR tour captured for posterity, including one or two "band comments". Damn good latter-day Goodman, and a snapshot of NYC's early 60s studio mafia posing as mad gypsies and road dogs, which at one point, a lot of them no doubt had been.

That link isn't working for me (nor is the image) :blink: It's like some sort of Soviet censorship or something. I'm curious (and clueless) about which session y'all are referring to.

Benny is one of those players I've tried to like but, believe it or not, I think his best best work was up to about 1931 - some early trio things with a guy whose name I can't remember, and some incredibly mature playing with an early Chicago bandleader - and it's late so forgive me for being completely unable to come up with citations - will have to check some discographies. But in those beginning years I feel like his technique is more at the service of the music, instead of the other way around. I am in a VERY small minority here, but later Benny always sounds to me that he's playing at improvising, instead of really being inside the music. And in those early things he's under the influence, somewhat, of Teschemacher, which gives his playing an edge it lost later on.

just my opinion...

That link isn't working for me (nor is the image) :blink: It's like some sort of Soviet censorship or something. I'm curious (and clueless) about which session y'all are referring to.

When I get those IPB Image items, I do a right click and open it, then the image pops up.

Hope it works for you too!

Benny has always been my favorite clarinet. I don't care about the fact that the innovation was over by the early 40s at the latest. He had a perfectly developed style, and he just sounds good! Why change?

I didn't like Artie Shaw criticizing his style (Artie didn't think Benny was sufficiently adventurous harmonically). Benny was fabulous and I always enjoy hearing him.

Plus, he sure knew how to set up a great big band! His original four sax section, led by Hymie Schertzer, is my all-time favorite (above Ellington and Basie). What a sound!

Benny is one of those players I've tried to like but, believe it or not, I think his best best work was up to about 1931 - some early trio things with a guy whose name I can't remember, and some incredibly mature playing with an early Chicago bandleader - and it's late so forgive me for being completely unable to come up with citations - will have to check some discographies. But in those beginning years I feel like his technique is more at the service of the music, instead of the other way around. I am in a VERY small minority here, but later Benny always sounds to me that he's playing at improvising, instead of really being inside the music. And in those early things he's under the influence, somewhat, of Teschemacher, which gives his playing an edge it lost later on.

just my opinion...

I have to agree he was spectacular with Ben Pollack.