The genius of Krzysztof Komeda

Bought the boxset wednesday, only started listening to it today.

First of all, the content is really a boxset, that is a big black box where you put the CDs inside, no booklet or essays about the musician. Also the box is so tight that once all the CDs inside you can barely close the box, a little bit like my pants around my waist but that is a subject for another thread.

Regarding the music i have so far listened to one CD called Ballads, where Komeda plays with the classical formation, piano, bass, drums. Beautiful stuff, very enjoyable, on the lyrical side of things.

Currently listening to the Cd called Ballet etudes, Breakfast at Tiffany's by the way poorly documented on the booklet, listening the beautiful sounds of the great Tomasz Stanko on trumpet. So far the music has a very warm feeling about it mostly lead by the horns. Beautiful interpretation by the singer Jedrusik also.

Has anybody else took the plunge ?

Edited by Van Basten II

So far. it's great stuff music wise, excellent atmospheric jazz built on beautiful melodies and of course subtle interpretations, the Komeda and of course the Stanko fan in me is very pleased apparently there is an even bigger boxset of 19 CDs which includes everything he ever did. Now i'm looking for a trade.

http://www.chazzforjazz.com/servlet/Detail?no=116

I deeply love Stanko's performance of Komeda's composistions on ECM, but I am a bit scared about a 19 (or 13) cds box set. Lately I am getting too lazy to dig huge box sets, (and I have to much work). How is the sound of recordings? And wich box sets do you suggest?

Edited by porcy62

Not much of an audiophile but the sound is quite good without being great. As far as what i would suggest, to be quite honest one week ago i did not even know that such boxsets existed about him, maybe you should try to buy individually one or two cds, they can be sold separately, and if you don't get your fix, buy the big one.

In my case, kind of wish that i knew about the larger set before buying the "small one".

Edited by Van Basten II

Finally listened to the whole set, i would say that both soundtracks, especially enjoyed the eclectic Rosemary's baby soundtrack, are required. For the rest it is more a question, budget, time and obsessivness.

For some a few sample cds will be good enough, for others you will want the whole batch. All the music is quite a thrill.

Edited by Van Basten II

• 2 years later...

The tapes for "Fearless Vampire Killers" and "Rosemary's Baby" used for this set were supposedly Komeda's own 1/4" reel mono mixdowns. His widow apparently supplied them. RB features the actual film tracks. The album that came out on Dot, typical for the time, was a re-record, but the arrangements were identical (or close) to those used in the film. The track titles on RB CD are mixed up, and it omits music from the final 20 minutes or so of the film. The Dot album includes the incredible track "Panic," a variation on the main theme using ondioline for the melody, which does not show up on the box set CD (The track is listed but it's not really "Panic"). So, until we get an expanded RB remixed from the multi track masters, we'll need both sources to get an approximation of RB.