AOTW June 10-17: Joe Henderson POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Big Al

and noj-i think CW is that the kicker and i guess even tetragon (which is pretty decent, i think) are just "ok" so i don't think it should be a surprise if you find PTTP to be a better album. the kicker isn't even in the top 10.

CW? Cedar Walton?

Conventional wisdom.

Ah yes, I sorely lack that.

and noj-i think CW is that the kicker and i guess even tetragon (which is pretty decent, i think) are just "ok" so i don't think it should be a surprise if you find PTTP to be a better album. the kicker isn't even in the top 10.

CW? Cedar Walton?

Conventional wisdom.

Ah yes, I sorely lack that.

That's why were jazz fans! Ain't nothing conventional about us!

Seriously, though, I can put my finger on why I prefer Joe as a sideman, and I think it's the thing that endears him to his biggest fans: he pushes the envelope with his solos too far for my own tastes. I can take it in concentrated doses, but rarely for an entire album.

As I said I saw him quite often before his last recording period for Verve. It became predictable after a while, same tunes, similar verrrrry long solos ..... What I liked about Keepnews producing Henderson was that he kept pushing him in all kinds of directions he never would have taken by himself - the results were always interesting, and sometimes great.

Well, I first saw Henderson in person in the 1980s (and I saw him a dozen or so times over the years until his death) While his solos may have been long, I always found them interesting.

I can't say that about many of the Keepnews sessions contained in the Milestone box, the second half of which (except for the live sessions) I find uninteresting and I am a big fan of Joe Henderson.

Just my opinion

Seriously, though, I can put my finger on why I prefer Joe as a sideman, and I think it's the thing that endears him to his biggest fans: he pushes the envelope with his solos too far for my own tastes. I can take it in concentrated doses, but rarely for an entire album.

As I said I saw him quite often before his last recording period for Verve. It became predictable after a while, same tunes, similar verrrrry long solos ..... What I liked about Keepnews producing Henderson was that he kept pushing him in all kinds of directions he never would have taken by himself - the results were always interesting, and sometimes great.

Well, I first saw Henderson in person in the 1980s (and I saw him a dozen or so times over the years until his death) While his solos may have been long, I always found them interesting.

I can't say that about many of the Keepnews sessions contained in the Milestone box, the second half of which (except for the live sessions) I find uninteresting and I am a big fan of Joe Henderson.

Just my opinion

Oh, I'm glad you said that..... now I'm NOT gonna want to find the whole Milestone box! :lol:

Guest donald petersen

without the box set or the LP, you will be missing what i consider one of henderson's best-black narcissus.

crappy sh_tscumbags concord certainly won't reissue it any time soon. it's a great one, to me.

actually a bit like "power to the people", imo. except with mostly euro players.

I agree, but I think you're not allowed to post something positive about Orrin Keepnews here! :lol:

Just my opinion

Oh, I'm glad you said that..... now I'm NOT gonna want to find the whole Milestone box! :lol:

well I think most of the sessions are available as single cds, so I suppose you could pick and choose which of those later sessions you want.

I hate to ask this question...but how is the sound on the new issue? I've got the Milestone box (and I hate to re-purchase things) but this session IS exceptionally nice and sounds a little "flat" to me in the box set.

I think the sound is fine, it's fairly lively and Carter is well-recorded. I don't have the box so I can't compare it. I imagine most anyone would be satisfied with the sound on the OK (even if it's not overwhelming), so I guess it depends on how dissatisfied you are with what you currently have.

Thanks for giving this session some extra love by making it aotw, good choice. Over the last month I've been listening to this CD more than any other in my collection. The opening, Black Narcissus, is classic. The title track, in fact, is the only one that I find less than stellar--RC's bass line gets a little annoying to me.

There seems to have been a golden moment in jazz in the late 60s and very early 70s where jazz incorporated elements of rock--instrumentation and a rock sensibility-- without losing itself, as it later did imo, in the slick overproduced swamp of backbeats and endless vamps. In that golden moment I would add PTTP right alongside Filles, Red Clay, and even Hancock's Fat Albert Rotunda as some of the most enjoyable jazz music in my collection.

There seems to have been a golden moment in jazz in the late 60s and very early 70s where jazz incorporated elements of rock--instrumentation and a rock sensibility-- without losing itself, as it later did imo, in the slick overproduced swamp of backbeats and endless vamps. In that golden moment I would add PTTP right alongside Filles, Red Clay, and even Hancock's Fat Albert Rotunda as some of the most enjoyable jazz music in my collection.

I could not agree more!!! Brilliantly said! :tup Nice to see some love for FAT ALBERT ROTUNDA, on which Joe also (and magnificently) appears!

I could not agree more!!! Brilliantly said! :tup Nice to see some love for FAT ALBERT ROTUNDA, on which Joe also (and magnificently) appears!

Ever heard Patrice Rushen's first LP Prelusion? It's strictly instrumental and Joes makes a guest apprearance and blow the roof off. A complete anomoly but brilliant.