AOTW June 18-24

felser

Blakey made dozens of great albums in his career, of course. This one is notable for being, I believe, the jazz world at large's introduction to Bobby Watson (I know it was mine). It also introduced Russian trumpeter Valery Ponomarev. The other personnel include tenor player Dave Schnitter, pianist Walter Davis Jr. (at least his second tour of duty with Blakey - he held the piano chair in between Bobby Timmon's two spells with Blakey in the late 50's), and bass player Dennis Irwin. A solid and overlooked edition of the jazz messengers, soon to be overshadowed by the arrival of Wynton Marsalis and other young talent (though Watson still shined in that company - check out the excellent and ubiquitous Live at Bubba's recordings). Watson's writing and playing on this album are stunningly strong and original. The writing overall is incredible, including the all-time best compositions by Watson (the awesome "Time Will Tell") and Davis ("Jodi"). Released on the Roulette label in 1977, very hard to find on CD(I have it on an obscure 2 CD set paired with a couple of lesser sessions controlled by Roulette). This would be a great choice for Mosaic to put out as a single. I love Watson's music, and this is where it began for me, full-fledged from the get-go.

I've never heard of it either. Might it be good to have an AOTW that people either have or can actually get?

Adam,

I understand your point on one level, but on a different level

1 - The vinyl is not particularly rare

2 - This thing SHOULD be on CD, and Blue Note owns the masters, so Cuscuna and company at Mosaic could easily get it back in print.

3 - I think that an AOTW which is one of the all-time great Jazz Messenger albums and it turns out people didn't even know it existed is a much more useful exercise than running another classic Blue Note title out there for people to either A: say "Yeah I love that one too" or B: debate if it is more/less classic than some other classic Blue Note title(s). If someone would alert me to a great album by a great edition of the greatest hard bop group ever, and I previously didn't even know it existed, I'd be real glad. And, you'll have no complaints about the drummer on this one :D

All valid points back. Except "not particularly rare" still doesn't make it easy to find.

But I still think they might be overridden by the fact that if no one can discuss the actual Album of the Week, then does it make for a very good AOTW?

But feel free to ignore me, since I'm not a good participant in the AOTW discussions anyway. And you will probably get more discussion on Bobby Watson-era Jazz Messengers albums beyond this one.

I picked up this one on LP when it first came out (UK Pye) and have always liked it.

At the time it seemed to herald the start of a new phase of intensive recording and touring by the Messengers after several 'quiet' years (apart from those two Sonet LPs with the Giants of Jazz and Sonny Stitt).

Very much a sophomore effort for Bobby Watson as arranger I think - and a very good one.

'Time Will Tell' I think is probably the most memorable track on this album. Dennis Irwin and Blakey lay down a heavy groove.

There was a bit of a debate in the UK jazz press at the time about the subject matter for 'Ronnie's a Dynamite Lady'. Mathews or Scott?

Edited by sidewinder

All valid points back. Except "not particularly rare" still doesn't make it easy to find.

But I still think they might be overridden by the fact that if no one can discuss the actual Album of the Week, then does it make for a very good AOTW?

But feel free to ignore me, since I'm not a good participant in the AOTW discussions anyway. And you will probably get more discussion on Bobby Watson-era Jazz Messengers albums beyond this one.

Adam, I never ignore your comments! And there is vailidity in your question since it took over 36 hours for anyone to even respond to the post, and so far only one other person has reported that they have even ever heard the album (which is a jazz tragedy).

There was a bit of a debate in the UK jazz press at the time about the subject matter for 'Ronnie's a Dynamite Lady'. Mathews or Scott?

My money would be on Ronnie Spector, who was still in her early 30's at that point.

Here's a great Mosaic Select (IMO): The two Roulette mid-70's Blakey/Jazz Messengers albums ('Backgammon', 'Gypsy Folk Tales') combined with the two 70's Watson albums on Roulette ('ETA','All Because of You'), "The Complete 70's Roulette Recordings of Art Blakey and Robert Watson".

Here's a great Mosaic Select (IMO): The two Roulette mid-70's Blakey/Jazz Messengers albums ('Backgammon', 'Gypsy Folk Tales') combined with the two 70's Watson albums on Roulette ('ETA','All Because of You'), "The Complete 70's Roulette Recordings of Art Blakey and Robert Watson".

:tup I'd buy it ! Have heard bits of the Watson albums but never bought them.

Always regret not buying that Watson/Blakey Big Band album on Timeless (I think) - had a nice version of 'ETA' on it.

Judging by the cover, Art was influenced satorically, by David Schnitter (the bib overalls). I have the LP and saw Art at the Jazz Showcase shortly after the record was released. (The Showcase was on Rush St. then). I can't recall the piano player, but it wasn't Walter Davis Jr.