Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, gvopedz said:

I do not believe Maradona was the best soccer player, but 37 years ago he did this:

I remember it all too well, watching it live. The final touch just before he shoots is exquisite. 

His other goal in the match was pretty good too...😁

Edited by mjazzg

• 1 month later...

New season.

My kid is desperate to go to a football game this season, but it's shaping up to be possibly the most depressing low morale season in my club's history.

We live in Arsenal territory, and his uncle is an Arsenal fan. I keep hoping he'll just see sense and I can take him to Emirates.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Season has started for Leicester City with two wins, first in the Championship, over Coventry, and then in the League Cup over Burton Albion. We have a new manager and four new players. We lost James Maddison (amazing footballer and club favorite) to Tottenham, Harvey Barnes to Newcastle and Yuri Thielemans to Villa. Our new manager Enzo Maresca was one of the Man City coaches under Guardiola for the past several seasons, including the last, treble one. 

Usually the stadium chants are just a background noise when watching on TV, but the Burton match was in a smaller venue, and I could hear some seemingly spontaneous nasty shit sang acapella. Hilarious! 

Edited by Dmitry

19 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Which is why I'm not too sad to be following my team in League One this season, first time for a while in tier 3...

What is the club?

And yes, Championship is crazy this season. Several very strong clubs will be battling for promotion. In the US ESPN+ televises many Championship matches for just $10/month.

Edited by Dmitry

55 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Which is why I'm not too sad to be following my team in League One this season, first time for a while in tier 3...

Well. See you there next year, if opening games are anything to go by. Hope the water's nice.

Just bought a ticket to go and see Dulwich Hamlets with my kids on the coming Summer Bank Holiday. Maybe that will be a more positive taster.

That presupposes that Reading's free fall doesn't continue to League 2 next season...transfer embargoes, points deductions and Andy Carroll

Dulwich trip sounds great (even with necessity to cross the river). I know someone who really enjoys taking young son to see Hastings Town.

That level is where the real football is, perhaps

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That presupposes that Reading's free fall doesn't continue to League 2 next season...transfer embargoes, points deductions and Andy Carroll

Dulwich trip sounds great (even with necessity to cross the river). I know someone who really enjoys taking young son to see Hastings Town.

That level is where the real football is, perhaps

Andy Carroll played for Villa or WH or team with similar purple and blue shirts? Striker, beard? ( testing my memory purposefully without resorting to Google). What is his story now?

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Andy Carroll played for Villa or WH or team with similar purple and blue shirts? Striker, beard? ( testing my memory purposefully without resorting to Google). What is his story now?

His big move was from Newcastle to Liverpool and then later onto West Ham. He had a very big impact on his international debut with a great goal. It became apparent he really wasn't as good as everyone initially thought. 

A big traditional centre forward, really not seen much anymore, whose bulk outweighs his finesse, almost always referred to as Big Andy Carroll.

Coming towards the end of his career playing for a side who aren't dealing too much in finesse, he's hardly setting the world on fire but still scoring goals now and again which is more than a lot of other Reading players!

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

You're right. They have had all their shots.

🤣

His first competitive goal for the national team, not his debut. Euros 2012. Also, his last goal for England

Sadly there's more chance of me scoring an original 'True Blue' for £150 than Reading coming back up 

Chinese owner doesn't seem to be able to pay the taxes or the staff. Two sets of points deduction last year and two transfer embargoes means club is hollowed out. More chance of a consecutive relegation. Hoping for mid table mediocrity 

All of which means it's a bit ironic that I booked tickets to a match in a few weeks time, it will be the first match I have attended in 45 years

Edited by mjazzg

10 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Not a great opening day, but as a lifelong supporter of Luton Town just being in the Premier League feels surreal. 

For a while I had a Football Manager save as Luton.

Long before he rose to prominence, and whilst my Luton was struggling in the Championship, I made a chance hire of a relatively unknown young Flemish player from the Dutch leagues called Kevin de Bruyne, who the FM scouts must have rated as a youngster. He turned out to be just as good a player as he later developed into in reality a year or so later, and propelled my FM version of Luton into the Premier League.

What I am saying is that this all seems very natural to me. I am also saying that Luton would probably benefit from signing De Bruyne. This is the kind of insight that only profound managerial experience can create.

Edited by Rabshakeh

3 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

For a while I had a Football Manager save as Luton.

Long before he rose to prominence, and whilst my Luton was struggling in the Championship, I made a chance hire of a relatively unknown young Flemish player from the Dutch leagues called Kevin de Bruyne, who the FM scouts must have rated as a youngster. He turned out to be just as good a player as he later developed into in reality a year or so later, and propelled my FM version of Luton into the Premier League.

What I am saying is that this all seems very natural to me. I am also saying that Luton would probably benefit from signing De Bruyne. This is the kind of insight that only profound managerial experience can create.

But he's crocked for the rest of the season...