Enter the Time Machine...

If it were possible for you to go back in time and attend recording sessions - club, concert, or studio - which ones would you choose?

My choices:

Club sessions - Dolphy, Little, Waldron, Davis, and Blackwell at the Five Spot, 1961.

Ornette's Trio at the Golden Circle, 1965.

Trane's sextet at the Penthouse - Seattle, 1965. (Perhaps an unusual choice, but there's something disturbing and even a little frightening about this recording when I listen to it, and I've wondered what it was like to have been there.

Studio sessions - King Oliver's Jazz Band - June 22 or 23, 1923. I'd love to hear how that band really sounded.

Teddy Wilson with Billie Holiday - January 25, 1937. To be there and hear Pres play his solo on "I Must Have that Man".

Charlie Parker's November 26, 1945 Savoy date. "Koko", "Now's the Time", Billie's Bounce".

And a final choice - Steve Lacy's 1961 Evidence date. So I could find out if Carl Brown is Carl Brown or a pseudonym.

Hope I haven't grabbed too many good ones. There are a lot more out there - make your choices.

I would love to have been at those 1967 Montmartre Jazzhuis Dexter Gordon dates that ended up being released by Black Lion.

Would have loved to hear Charlie Parker live during the earliest days of bebop.

Some Stan Getz Bossa Nova dates would have been nice - live or studio.

I would really have liked to have heard Chick Corea's original Return To Forever - Purim, Airto, etc -live. I still dig that stuff.

How about any live Grant Green date during his classic Blue Note period.

Great topic!

I would love to have been at:

Armstrong's Hot Fives session(s)

Minton's Playhouse during the birth of bop.

Eddie Condon's Town Hall Concerts in the 40's

Coltrane's Ascension studio session (The OM session would be good too)

I'll force myself to stop, I could list at least 100 things. :g

Trane's sextet at the Penthouse - Seattle, 1965. (Perhaps an unusual choice, but there's something disturbing and even a little frightening about this recording when I listen to it, and I've wondered what it was like to have been there.

I took a course in Jazz History at the local community college a few years ago, and the instructor was there and was telling a few of us about it after class one night. Basically, his comments were that he appreciates the music now, but at the time it was being played "disturbing" and "frightening" seems to have summed up his recollection...

Coltrane at the Villiage Vanguard, Duke Ellington at Newport ,Max Roach and Clifford Brown,those sessions with Art Blakey,Clifford Brown,Horace Silver and Lou Donaldson,Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie,Horace Silver at the Villiage gate with Junior Cook and Blue Mitchell and I'll probably think of more later.

Grant Green - Idle Moments sessions

Lee Morgan - Live at the Lighthouse recordings (I've really been digging these lately)

Dizzy Gillespie/Sonny Rollins/Sonny Stitt - Sonny Side Up/Duets sessions (great tenor battles!)

Stan Getz - Focus sessions

Any of the Lionel Hampton/Oscar Peterson Quartet/Quintet sessions

Herbie Hancock - The Prisoner sessions