Mel Martin/Benny Carter Quintet - Just Friends

GA Russell

I have a new CD I'm excited about. It's Just Friends by The Mel Martin/Benny Carter Quintet, with Martin on tenor and flute, Carter on alto, Roger Kellaway on piano, Jeff Chambers on bass and Harold Jones on drums.

It was recorded in concert at the original Yoshi's in April of 1994 when Carter was 86. Songs from that gig were released on Enja on an album entitled Mel Martin Plays Benny Carter. The six songs here are 63 minutes of previously unissued material, released to celebrate the centennial of Carter's birth the 8th of next month.

The songs are three standards (Perdido, Secret Love and Just Friends), two by Carter which I expect his fans are familiar with (People Time and Elegy in Blue) and one original by Martin (Spritely).

There is nothing innovative here. It's just great swinging music.

Speaking of swinging, this is the second album I've opened up in eight weeks with Roger Kellaway. I'm going to have to hunt for more of his records.

I had never heard of Martin before. He is a San Francisco Bay area musician. Since 1983 he has led a band called Bebop and Beyond, which at various times has included Eddie Marshall, John Handy and George Cables. He was a college classmate of Handy's, and played in his band at that time. He later played with Cold Blood and Boz Scaggs. He also led a fusion band in the 70s called Listen which recorded two albums for Inner City.

Just Friends is on the Jazzed Media label, which I have heard of before because of its Phil Woods releases. CD Universe says: List Price $15.99; Their Price $12.65; Sale Price $12.40.

5 stars

edit for typo

Edited by GA Russell

As for Roger Kellaway, I have the following records and they are all great:

- Art Of Interconnectedness (Challenge): Piano solo

- Alone Together (Dragon): Duo with Red Mitchell on bass

- Live At Maybeck Recital Hall (Concord): Piano solo

- Life's A Take (Concord): Duo with Red Mitchell

- I Was There (IPO): Piano solo

- Heroes (IPO): Trio with Bruce Forman and Brad Lutz

I have him also on :

- Inside & Out (Concord): Duo with Ruby Braff