Moby Grape

Tony Pusey

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T-Pain: from what edc hears in the folk rock underground, what Sundazed put out for public statement & what really happened... well, reality is a lot more complicated, & interesting, tho' it's safe to say it's Matthew Katz again. i'm un-privy to the whole story but am curious, & was flabber-fuckin'-gasted when the news first came in via the drum.

(a Queens-native friend of edc's was Arthur Lee's bassist on some earlier "comeback" tours; more on that anon.)

Anything more complicated and interesting than Katz got some court to issue an injunction against Sony/BMG? That's what I figure.

ah but Felser, ask yourself, how & why would Katz

1) go to court over something that was already settled?

2) why the fuck would Sony/BMG & all their lawyers of the world accede to that?

i ain't implying edc has all the answers but it's almost certainly more complicated than the previous x versus y pissing match.

Was it settled, or did Sony/BMG just decide that Katz had no grounds at this point to hold them up, and they went ahead and did the deal with Sundazed, and Katz got lucky in court somewhere? I'm truly asking, have always found the whole thing fascinating if incredibly frustrating (for me, with IABD even more than with Moby Grape), and would love any additional insights into the whole thing, including the origin of how Katz and CBS had competing claims in the first place. Was the original contract so vague to leave such conflicting interpretation? And how big a deal cash-wise can this be anyways? If the era of the CD is over, and if these are two cult bands from 40 years ago, what are the potential sales? How is it worth the legal fees to battle this out?