Dusty Groove

Dave James

I know other threads have mentioned Dusty Groove, but an occasional reminder of just how good these guys are never hurts. This was driven home again last week when the CD's I ordered on Tuesday were in my mailbox on Friday afternoon. That's all the way from Chicago to Portland, Oregon in less than three days. Sure, their postage may be a little higher and Lord knows the guy who writes the reviews on their website could stand to invest in a new book of adjectives, but all things considered, does online music retailing get any better than this? It's as close to a brick and mortor buying experience as you can get.

Frankly I have a hard time imagining a poor customer service interaction with these folks.

Up over and out.

They went to the well too many times, but the first Dusty Groove Madlib thread grooved in a fun-kay way you don't often see on a jazz discussion board! Jim R. grooves in a really groovy Brazilian way and GHF keeps cracking us up. BNBB pressing. Not available online anymore!

:g

From the thread's later, post-Blue Note days. A more tightly produced, less spiritual sound, but still some good moments, and try finding the original! (Record has a few visible scuffs and teeth marks, but should make a good play copy. Cover has split seams, and slight ringworm wear) $14.95

• 1 month later...

Up for fun. These guys are busting my wallet out, as I'm just for the first time checking out the Groove Merchant label.

But what I really want to hear is ... more Dusty Groove mock reviews! (Just read some of the Hadley Caliman reviews to get jump-started. Jesus.)

Edited by Late

Album: "John Denver Sings, Bootsy Plays"

Price: $59.95

Label: Strata-East

Condition: Mint-, just some heavy ringwear, a light cat-smell, and heavy water damage.

Sure, maybe not as good as some of Denver's earlier work. But when he and Bootsy hit a groove, it makes you want to jump up and say "Thank God I'm A Country Boy!" Bootsy's vocal improv scat on "Take Me Home Country Roads" may have been a mistake. But other than that, it ranks right up there with some of Bootsy's best solo albums of the 70's. We don't see this one too often, and when we do, some dumbass usually buys it pretty quick thinking it MIGHT be good. Then we mail it to him with super-high postage and laugh our asses off.

You guys have apparently never been there. Used Vinyl is ridiculously overpriced. Yes, they have great reissues and they keep them all in stock but the used market there is just crazy. Last time I was there they had a $40 tag on a hip hop 12" that I paid $20 for on ebay only a few weeks prior. And ebay is the lutmus test for the HIGHEST prices, right. Granted, I got what I bought on a good week but $40 is just outlandish. They seem to base their pricing on "the market" and, more often than not, it's the most that they could possibly get for that particlar item. I mean, c'mon.......