Europa Jazz LP: EJ-1008

EKE BBB

Could anybody who owns it confirm the discographical details for the tracks from the 1958 edition of the Cannes Jazz Festival?

Thanks in advance!

Agustín

"Indiana" recorded at Cannes Jazz Festival, July 13, 1958. The band is Stan Getz, Guy Lafitte, Barney Wilen, Don Byas, Coleman Hawkins (ts), Martial Solal (p), Arvell Shaw (b), J. C. Heard (d)

"Dear Old Stockholm" & "Lady Bird" rec. April, 1959, prob. at Blue Note, Paris. Stan Getz (ts), Rene Urtreger (p), Jimmy Gourley (g), Jean-Marie Ingrand (b), Kenny Clarke (d).

"Theme For Emmanuel" & "Our Kind of Sabi" rec. August 26, 1971, Chateauville, France. Stan Getz (ts), Rene Thomas (g), Eddy Louiss (org), Bernard Lubat (d)

Thanks a lot, Stereojack.

So this Barney Wilen dissertation is wrong, as it lists two tracks from that concert in the Europa LP (Indiana & Now's the time) [see page 111]

and this Stan Getz online discography is right.

Are there liner notes in the Europa LP?

If so, do they mention if "Indiana" was recorded at a "regular concert" from the Festival or at a mammoth jam session that took place the last day of the festival (and that also included Dizzy Gillespie and Tete Montoliu)?

Regards,

Agustín

So this Barney Wilen dissertation is wrong, as it lists two tracks from that concert in the Europa LP (Indiana & Now's the time) [see page 111]

and this Stan Getz online discography is right.

Are there liner notes in the Europa LP?

If so, do they mention if "Indiana" was recorded at a "regular concert" from the Festival or at a mammoth jam session that took place the last day of the festival (and that also included Dizzy Gillespie and Tete Montoliu)?

Regards,

Agustín

The liner notes on this (and most of the other LP's in this series) are useless bullshit, and the discographical details are inaccurate. I got my information from Arne Astrup's Stan Getz discography. There is no "Now's the Time" on this LP.

I checked through the other Europa LP's, and on 1040 there is a version of "Now's the Time", credited to Rene Thomas Quintet. There are two tracks on the LP credited to Thomas, but the instrumentations don't match. The date given is 1962. On this track, the instrumentation is alto sax, guitar, bass, drums. Might this be Wilen?

Claude Schlouch lists "Now's The Time" as unissued. "Indiana" is listed as issued on "I Giganti del Jazz(It)10", "Déja Vu DVLP2125", "Europa jazz(It)EJ1008", "Los Grandes Del Jazz(Sp)10"

Claude Schlouch lists "Now's The Time" as unissued. "Indiana" is listed as issued on "I Giganti del Jazz(It)10", "Déja Vu DVLP2125", "Europa jazz(It)EJ1008", "Los Grandes Del Jazz(Sp)10"

I confirm that only Indiana is issued on Europa Jazz & I Giganti del Jazz both from Italy.

• 7 years later...

FWIW, here is the list of Tete Montoliu performances from that 1958 Cannes Jazz Festival:

------------------------------

Date: July 11, 1958

Location: Cannes Jazz Festival, Palais des Festivals, Cannes, France

Label: [television broadcast]

Tete Montoliu (ldr, p), Doug Watkins (b), Arthur Taylor (d)

a. Pennies From Heaven (Arthur Johnston, Johnny Burke)

b. Blues - 3:34 (Tete Montoliu)

INA CD: IMV 082 — Jazz Sur La Croisette: Cannes 1958 (2009)

c. Fine And Dandy (Paul James, Kay Swift)

Recorded by RTF. Tape exists.

According to JP, this set was not part of the official festival, but an informal jam session. Doug Watkins and Art Taylor were part of the Donald Byrd Quintet with Bobby Jaspar.

Date: July 12, 1958

Tete Montoliu (ldr, p), Ricardo Galeazzi (b), Ditto Edwards (d)

a. Somebody Loves Me - 5:20 (George Gershwin, Buddy DeSylva, Ballard MacDonald)

b. Lover Man - 6:58 (Roger 'Ram' Ramirez, Jimmy Davis, Jimmy Sherman)

c. Back Home Again In Indiana - 3:35 (James Hanley, Ballard MacDonald)

RTF archives and announcer incorrectly mention Datto Edwards.

According to JP, this concert was on July 11.

Date: July 13, 1958

Yvonne Blanc, Claude Bolling, Tete Montoliu, Sammy Price, Henri Renaud, Joe Turner (p)

a. Boogie Woogie Blues

Probably part of the mamooth jam session in the last day of the festival. The six pianists played three four-handed pianos.