What are Your Favoritie Keith Jarrett Impulse Albums?

AndrewHill

Keith Jarrett Impulse Albums  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I originally was going to start a thread seeking opinions of 'Death and the Flower' since I have an opportunity to pick it up for $8 at a used cd store, but then I was thinking that I really want to wrap my ears around Jarrett's entire Impulse catalogue, so I want to know what everyone's opinions are of everything he did for the label as leader. I have 'Treasure Island' and 'Mysteries' and I enjoy both of these a great deal. I have never heard 'Bop-Be' and 'Byablue' but I believe these were issued domestically as 'Silence' so I left that off the poll to cut down on redundency. So tell me what you think!

My favorite is the one that's not on the list - "Shades". When Dewey begins his solo on the title cut, I get a chill, even after 30 years! On the LP version, "Shades" makes an amazing segue into "Southern Smiles". On the Impulse boxed set, "Mysteries", the segue's not there - it was an edit, but a damn good one. "Backhand" is another good one, also not on the list. I would suggest saving the pennies and getting both Impulse boxed sets. I think that was one of the greatest bands of its time. Everyone sounded great, both live and in the studio.

or do you have "the survivors suite"? even better...i am just suggesting these because it's the same band but better music, imo.

I disagree -- I would pick at least 4 or 5 of the Impulse albums before the Survivor's Suite. But SS is easily worth it just for Dewey's playing during the last 5 or 6 minutes.

Guy

BTW I'd certainly pick up Death & The Flower for that price.

Ok, so I pulled the trigger and picked it up today. I have to say that my first impression so far is really good. Haden's bass on the first track is haunting and mysterious. I haven't listened to the rest of the cd yet, because I've had too many interuptions from my kids and so forth. But so far, I'm very happy I got it. Great sound too.

For those in the know: has 'Shades' or 'Backhand' ever been released on cd? I did a cursory search with no results.

BTW I'd certainly pick up Death & The Flower for that price.

Ok, so I pulled the trigger and picked it up today. I have to say that my first impression so far is really good. Haden's bass on the first track is haunting and mysterious. I haven't listened to the rest of the cd yet, because I've had too many interuptions from my kids and so forth. But so far, I'm very happy I got it. Great sound too.

For those in the know: has 'Shades' or 'Backhand' ever been released on cd? I did a cursory search with no results.

Just pick up the blue box set. It has a bunch of music that has never been released elsewhere and probably never will be. Unfortunately for Shades you will either have to pay for an expensive import or (if you want the great bonus tracks) Itunes.

Guy

• 1 month later...