New Root Doctor CD is out!

Jim Alfredson

In case ya'll missed it in another thread, the new disc, Change Our Ways, by my rhythm & blues band Root Doctor is out and available for order direct from our website (CDBaby will be following soon). Click here to check it out and hear samples.

I am very proud of this disc, including the songwriting and arranging. It has only been out about a week and already we've gotten some very nice reviews including this one:

Change Our Ways, the new CD from Root Doctor showed up in my mailbox yesterday afternoon. I've had a chance to listen to it twice, and I'm knocked out.

On paper, Root Doctor shouldn't really flip my switch. I prefer down home blues, and these guys are clearly more "uptown." My taste in R&B leans toward southern soul, while these guys clearly draw a lot from their Michigan predecessors. When it comes to jazz, I prefer the kind that borders on avant garde, while Root Doctor clearly has a fondness for the smoky, blues-based jazz of Jimmy Smith and Big John Patton.

So why do I like this record so much? Because it absolutely bristles with energy and intelligence. The band clearly has huge chops, and they're not afraid to show them off – but never at the expense of the music. The songwriting is strong and varied and the performances are polished but never sterile. There are hints of Albert King and the aforementioned Jimmy Smith, but also Solomon Burke, Percy Sledge and even Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels!

Highlights abound on this beautifully produced and brilliantly programmed record. I'm particularly fond of "Give Me Love," which plays like a rousing R&B barnburner, but has a huge dose of country swagger to it. It's not hard to imagine Willie Nelson and his classic seventies band tackling this one. Another favorite is "Lucky One," co-written by our own Greg Nagy. This beautiful, gospel-drenched ballad would fit perfectly on one of Solomon Burke's recent comeback records. "Big Blue Cadillac" is a slab of deep funk featuring Greg's searing, Funkadelic-inspired guitar work and bruising horn work from the Motor City Horns.

Six of the ten tracks on Change Our Way are originals, but the four covers are no mere filler. Warren Haynes' beautiful "Soul Shine" is given an anthemic arrangement, complete with an Allman-esque intro by Greg. You can practically see the lighters waving in the dark during this one. But to me, the most stunning cover on the record is Root Doctor's goose bump-inducing take on the Temptations classic "I Wish It Would Rain." Its spare, piano-led arrangement is tastefully augmented by mournful cello and violin, while lead singer Freddie Cunningham delivers one of the most soulful vocals this side of Muscle Shoals. Absolutely stunning.

Very highly recommended. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna give this thing a third spin . . .

Jeff Konkel, Broke & Hungry Records

If you like blues and rhythm & blues at all, I think you'll dig this record.

• 2 weeks later...

We worked very hard on this one and it is now starting to get some national airplay. Here is just one of the early reviews:

"...I really like it [Change Our Ways]. The musical setting is really tasty and better than just solid, a sweet churchy/bluesy R & B sound. I especially like the title tune...It's an excellent CD..."

Dick Shurman

Producer and Historian

(Albert Collins, Johnny Winter, Robert Cray, etc..)

I got my disc on Thursday and I've given it a couple of spins and I am lovin' it!!! Soulful, funky, solid and loaded with tons of greazze. It had so much greazze I slid off the sofa while listening and then squeezed my clothes out and lubed my car! Great job Jim and the rest of Root Doctor- you hit a homer here.

I got my disc on Thursday and I've given it a couple of spins and I am lovin' it!!! Soulful, funky, solid and loaded with tons of greazze. It had so much greazze I slid off the sofa while listening and then squeezed my clothes out and lubed my car! Great job Jim and the rest of Root Doctor- you hit a homer here.

Oh man, thank you!

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Just got word that we debuted at number 13 on the National Living Blues Radio charts for the month of October! Also, have some airplay on CBC in Canada, and XM comin up...

Reviews coming in Downbeat, Living Blues, Blues Revue, and more!

If you haven't picked up the new one yet...what ya waitin for??

;)

Big O Records Store

• 4 weeks later...

Root Doctor's new disc, Change Our Ways, was just nominated for Soul Blues Album of the Year by the Blues Foundation (formerly the WC Handy Awards).

http://www.blues.org/bluesmusicawards/nominees.php4

Cool!

You can get it via CDBaby, or direct from the Big O Store.

It features 6 original tunes, all written or co-written by yours truly (and I even sing on a tune!) :)

http://www.blues.org/bluesmusicawards/nominees.php4

They call these awards the Blues Music Awards or BMAs for short. It was change a few years back from WC Handy and of course there was some controversy.

Anyhooo,

Soul Blues Album Of The Year

Also includes heavies like Tad Robinson (now on Severn formerly on Delmark), The Holmes Brothers (On Alligator I believe)...so I am not holding my breath on actually winning...lol. To be acknowledged however is a HUGE honor.

With that said, I am thinking about the next record...

AND tweakin' my friend Jimmy along toward the next organissimo release...which will be awesome (I've already heard some of the tunes and they are smokin).

Edited by GregN

• 4 weeks later...

Could one of our lovely Dutch members translate this?

Wie herinnert zich nog anno 2007 de bespreking hun cd 'Been A Long Time Coming' ? Wel nu hebben de heren een nieuwe cd uit getiteld 'Change Our Ways'. Toen ik de cd kreeg en de titel las dacht ik van “oh neen de heren hebben een andere richting gekozen”, gelukkig is dit niet het geval en is deze cd een mooi vervolg op hun voorganger. M.a.w. er wordt weer gezorgd voor mooie zangpartijen, klasse blazerspartijen van o.a. The Motor City Horns en natuurlijk mooi gitaarwerk en Hammond. Al deze ingredienten zorgen weer voor een mooie aanvulling van de donkere en warme stem van Freddie Cunningham. De song die me al dadelijk een goed gevoel geeft is track twee ‘Root Doctor', een bijna zes minuten durende song vol lekker Hammondklanken, schitterende gitaarpartijen en soulvolle zangpartij. Deze lijn wordt lekker doorgetrokken in het nummer ‘Keep Our Business Off The Street’. Beiden songs waarop je niet kan stil zitten maar het gevoel krijgt te willen dansen en genieten. Tien songs telt deze cd en weer wordt er blues gebracht met een lekkere mix van funk en soul zoals in het nummer ‘Give Me Love’ met als gast Peter Madcat Ruth op de bluesharp. Op elke song is te horen dat de band al weer gegroeid is t.o.v. de vorige cd en ik vraag me stiekem af hoe dit allemaal live wel mag klinken. Voor een rustpunt zorgt de gospelsong ‘Lucky One’, een song die me zo doet denken aan de grote gospelzangers en duidelijk laat horen wat Freddie Cunningham in zijn mars heeft. Elke song is voor mij weer een pareltje op zijn eigen vol energie en netjes in elkaar gestoken. Op deze cd is er ook veel ruimte gelaten voor Jim Alfredson en zijn mooie partijen op zowel Hammond als piano, een voorbeeld hiervan is de song ‘People Say’. Even door hun agenda lopen vertelt me dat deze heren tot nog toe de grote oversteek nog niet gaan maken en toch zie ik deze band goed staan op een festival als Peer, Ospel of Ecaussinnes.

Blueswalker

In the interim, here's how it comes out on this site:

Who remind themselves still do anno 2007 the discussion their album 'leg a lung Time Coming'? However, now the lords have a new CD from entitled 'Change Our Ways'. Then I got the CD and read the title I thought of "oh no the lords have chosen another direction", the happy this case is and this CD is a beautiful continuation on their predecessor. After beautiful song parties, class parties or fumarole among other things The city Horns engine and of course beautiful jet ear work and ham mouth it is looked Ie There. All these ingredients ensure a beautiful supplement of the dark and warm voice of Freddie Cunningham. The song gives me that feeling already without delay to a good track two is `root doctor, lasting almost six minutes full song nicely ham mouth consonances, superb jet ear parties and soulvolle song party. This line is nicely impregnated in the number `Our business keep Off The Street. Get both songs on which you can not sit quietly but the feeling because dancing and enjoy. Ten songs count this CD is brought and blues with a nice mix of funk and soul like in the number `Give me with Love as guest peter Madcat Ruth on the bluesharp. On each song is hear that the link has grown already with regard to the previous CD and I wonder myself how this all secretly live, however, can resound. A point the rest gospelsong `Lucky One, a song which does ensure think me this way of the large gospelzangers and clearly lets hear what Freddie Cunningham have in its top. Each song for me jewel on are put its own full energy and neatly in each other. On this CD also much space has been left for Jim Alfredson is beautiful and parties on both ham mouth and piano, an example of this is the song `People Say. Just as by their agenda run these lords tell me that so far the large crossing not yet will to make and I nevertheless see link these well stand on a festival as pear, or Ecaussinnes Ospel. Blueswalker

:wacko:

I especially liked this line: "On this CD also much space has been left for Jim Alfredson is beautiful and parties on both ham mouth and piano, an example of this is the song `People Say."