Hot Sauce

I've spent considerable amounts of time in Mexico throughout my life (my father was born there), and I've not really found anything availaible in the United States that can touch the sauces/salsas that you can get there. However, this stuff is one of the best I've had here....

post-271-1191520812.jpg

Yucateca habanero sauce...great flavor and quite hot.

I'd have never guessed that.

Cool :cool:

That's why I mentioned it. I still think it's kinda strange. I'll bet they don't have it on the table in China.

It is strange.

Chinese restaurants in my neck o'the woods tend to just have soy sauce on the table.

Here too. . . but Vietnamese restaurants will have hot sauce, big dispensors of it.

2578_large.jpg

Oh yes, that stuff rules as an everday condiment. I've started putting it on hot dogs, sandwiches, eggs, durn near everything.

FWIW - the "Americanized" Chinese (ane we have a diverse enough Asian population around here that I do mean Chinese, specifically) restaurants here won't have hot sauce out, but the "real" ones will, usually just some crushed peppers in oil, and buddy, you better respect that shit, or else it'll knock you out. The Korean & Vietnames places have different hot sauces out as a matter of course. Thai, otoh, is a different matter altogether, you cna get it, but you have to ask. (and if you order right, you'll not have to, they'll make it plenty spicy in the kitchen).

I love it!

I picked up some of the habanero Tabasco today. It definitely brings some heat (I'm battling a cold and cough and this stuff really does help clear the sinuses).

The box listed the habanero as ranging from 7000-8000 Scoville units (the measure of capsacin), regular Tabasco as 2500-5000 and the chipotle as 2000-2500.

I have no desire to try any of that million-Scoville-unit stuff I hear about. :wacko:

I have no desire to try any of that million-Scoville-unit stuff I hear about. :wacko:

I have, and it's nuts. Just one drop on a toothpick will take you out for about 15-30 minutes. They talk about using it in stews, soups, etc, but hey - using more of a less concentrated sauce makes more sense to me.

Other than novelty, conversation piece, etc. I really don't see the point.

• 8 months later...