Commercialization of 60s and 70s Tunes

You know, as an old guy [53 coming up] I am continually amazed by the use of tunes from my youth which were constantly degraded as "that damned hippie music" by people of that big, bad Great Generation [fucking hypocrites].

I mean, we are all real god-dammed grateful for their sacrifice during WWII [praise...Jeee-sus] and all of the Constitutional rights grab by their modern right-wing republican toadies who wipe their collective asses every time they bend over. Thank you, thank you, thank you already. GEEZ.

But I digress.

What really amazes me is how corporate America has decided to use that same music in their commercials now. The WWII veterans must be having a collective heart seizure.

Kellogg's: On the Road Again

Others: Same All Over has been used several times over the past few years.

Hotel chain: Even What I Like about You by the Rommantics is cool.

60s and 70s music is hip again.

Edited by GoodSpeak

You know, as an old guy [53 coming up] I am continually amazed by the use of tunes from my youth which were constantly degraded as "that damned hippie music" by people of that big, bad Great Generation [fucking hypocrites].

I mean, we are all real god-dammed grateful for their sacrifice during WWII [praise...Jeee-sus] and all of the Constitutional rights grab by their modern right-wing republican toadies who wipe their collective asses every time they bend over. Thank you, thank you, thank you already. GEEZ.

But I digress.

What really amazes me is how corporate America has decided to use that same music in their commercials now. The WWII veterans must be having a collective heart seizure.

Hotel chain: Even What I Like about You by the Ramones is cool.

Dude - wake up. We are them now.

But I digress.

I never fought in WWII...did you?

But I digress.

No, and my dad never fought in WWI.

This shit is not "cool" again. It's simply being repackaged to sell us back to ourselves.

If it makes you or anybody else feel somehow "vindicated", go for it. But we are The Establishment now, and today's young people think we're just as out of it as we thought our folks were.

Stuff like this leads me to believe they're right.

But I digress.

No, and my dad never fought in WWI.

This shit is not "cool" again. It's simply being repackaged to sell us back to ourselves.

If it makes you or anybody else feel somehow "vindicated", go for it. But we are The Establishment now, and today's young people think we're just as out of it as we thought our folks were.

Stuff like this leads me to believe they're right.

My did fight in WWII.

And you would be wrong.

This music was never intended to be fodder for cereal and car commercials....but the 30-somethings in charge of marketing have sold the buttheads in the CEO's office that it sells merchandise.

They sold us out.

Gen-X sucks.

Edited by GoodSpeak

This music was never intended to be fodder for cereal and car commercials....

I really think you're wrong there. That music was hyped as being not commercial in the sixties by the Clive Davises and Ahmet Erteguns of the world but what was happening was that, for the first time, hit albums were routinely outselling hit singles, basically because your generation had loadsamoney. Because of a slight historical disconnect (partly because so many of the big selling albums of the fifties and early sixties were jazz or jazz-related like Sinatra's), it was possible to persuade people (including the members of the new bands) that only singles were commercial. So a whole generation of kids believed that these bands were, in some way, anti-commercial, anti-establishment. But that had nothing to do with reality, which was that the moguls were making huge bucks out of supposedly non-commercial music.

MG

I like the way business panders to my nostalgia to sell their shit. <_<

That is the deal -- they play a song that was popular the summer that you were 16 and partying, you get that warm feeling of nostalgia, and the company's logo appears. Repeat until logo = warm feeling. Mission accomplished. Devious and outright mechanical, but effective.

That is the deal -- they play a song that was popular the summer that you were 16 and partying, you get that warm feeling of nostalgia, and the company's logo appears. Repeat until logo = warm feeling. Mission accomplished. Devious and outright mechanical, but effective.

I agree, but I also don't think that's a new development, been going on for a long time. Some of us have just reached the point in the process where we're the ones that now recognize the oldies that are being played in the commercials as "our" music.

I agree, but I also don't think that's a new development, been going on for a long time. Some of us have just reached the point in the process where we're the ones that now recognize the oldies that are being played in the commercials as "our" music.

True. Wasn't it Levi's that started it? And made hits out of Muddy Waters &etc.

MG

Granted, but just because it isn't a new development doesn't lend it "credibility" either. The damn shysters. <_<