A little help please.....

Free For All

Hey all,

I'm in the process of applying for a summer grant that FSU offers to first year faculty members. For my project proposal I was thinking about writing some new arrangements for big band (possibly a future recording project), and choosing tunes by musicians associated w/Florida, who were either from here (like Cannonball) or spent a lot of time here (like Sam Rivers, who I believe was actually born in Oklahoma). Those two alone provide lots of possibilities.

Some others who have come to mind:

Jaco

Eddie Higgins

Ira Sullivan (I know Ira primarily as a player, I'm not aware if he's written many tunes)

I'm sure there are many who I'm not thinking of. Did GoM ever do a show on this topic?

I was hoping that you folks might have some suggestions. Dan maybe?

Thanks, I appreciate your help! :)

Paul, I don't think Eddie Higgins is too much of a composer so I don't think there would be many options there. Not sure about Ira, we both think of him more as a player but ... on the other hand, I think some big band arrangements of a Gigi Gryce tune or two could be very cool. It looks like you'd have quite a few options just based on the suggestions so far.

Good luck!

Just submitted it. Whew....

Thanks for all the help everyone. After some mentoring I ended up going a little different direction, but my main intent is still to write a bunch of new music, it's just that it will be original tunes instead of arrangements. I'll find out in January if I get it or not.

The biggest challenege was to format it correctly and describe everything in that academic-speak. They're very picky about how you submit everything. I'm just glad to have the opportunity to apply- it will be a pretty sweet deal if it comes through.

Edited by Free For All