"Paul Gonsalves!"

jazzbo

I have quite a few (oh don't make me count!) Ellington recordings where he proclaims at the end of a number "Paul Gonsalves! Paul Gonsalves!" at least. . . twice.

I don't think I have one where he lets us know about this tenor man. . . just once. . . .!

Inquiring minds want to know: think I'll stumble across one?

No time to post the story here but I saw a very touching Duke / Paul exchange with all in tears. They were very connected.

They must have been. No other band leader would have put up with Gonsalves' shenanigans (like falling asleep on the stand). In '71 and beyond Duke carried an extra saxophone player to cover the times Paul failed to show up. BTW, I think Paul is a great player, perhaps one of the most underrated of all tenor players. Maybe that also explains Duke's devotion.

• 4 weeks later...

...BTW, I think Paul is a great player, perhaps one of the most underrated of all tenor players...

I agree completely. In fact, I came to this conclusion while on a fullblown Gonsalves kick over the weekend. I played "Gettin' Together", "Daylight Express", and "Ellingtonia Moods & Blues" consecutively on Sunday and loved every minute of it. "Gettin' Together" is a minor masterpiece in my book. It's a shame there aren't more people hip to him.

Edited by Brute

I would like to hear more about the Ellington-Gonsalves relationship in the later years. I knew a woman who was a steady girlfriend of one of the Ellington band members then and travelled with the band at times. She told me that from about 1970 on, Gonsalves was abusing hallucinogenic drugs rather severely, and that someone had to basically care for him on the road, keeping him safe and arranging for his laundry to be done and the like. I wonder if this is true. She had no particular reason to lie to me, but I wonder. If it is true, then Duke's loyalty to Gonsalves was notable.

• 1 month later...

I\'m not too surprised to hear that story and would like to know more as well.

I noticed that eMusic carries this title below and it spurred me to dig up my cd copy. Just finished listening to it and must say I really think anyone who likes Gonsalves should listen to it. . . really a nice session! Villegas adds an interesting dimension to the Ellingtonian air.

rem_encuentro.jpg

Enrique Villegas Encuentro

Edited by jazzbo

I\'m not too surprised to hear that story and would like to know more as well.

I noticed that eMusic carries this title below and it spurred me to dig up my cd copy. Just finished listening to it and must say I really think anyone who likes Gonsalves should listen to it. . . really a nice session! Villegas adds an interesting dimension to the Ellingtonian air.

rem_encuentro.jpg

Enrique Villegas Encuentro

Yeah, that's a great one! Joe hipped me to it back when I was in Dallas.

I've frequently read of the influence of Gonsalves on Tony Coe - listening to a fair few discs with the former playing of late, the influence is very, very clear. A sort of smearing, cloudy style - hard to put into words.

Edited by Bev Stapleton