Henry Mancini

Sundog

I'm really not too familiar with Mr. Mancini's work as a jazz composer. Of course there's "Days Of Wine and Roses" and "Moon River" both of which have become jazz standards. I haven't seen any discussions about this work or his relative "importance" in the whole scheme of things. All I know is that if he did nothing more than write "Moon River" that would be a damn fine contribution to the musical landscape. Just wondering what your thoughts are on Mr. Mancini and his compositions?

I think it's too bad that much of Mancini's stuff has been categorized as "Muzak" by many. He wrote some great tunes and IMHO was a master of orchestration. I always have liked the way he wrote for flutes, utilizing their low register, as well as writing for alto and bass flutes. What a great sound.

There are also some great jazz moments in his scores- the Pink Panther series, Peter Gunn, Silver Streak, Breakfast at Tiffany's, to name a few. I've always thought Dreamsville was a great tune.

I have a few Mancini recordings- Mancini '67 and Blues and the Beat on RCA are mostly big band-type affairs with some great moments (and some big names); some very atmospheric jazz, some of it kind of film-noir in style. Also there's some music from Peter Gunn on Fresh Sounds that has the Candolis, Rosolino, Bud Shank, Jimmy Rowles et al as featured soloists. The cuts aren't real long, not much stretching, but some interesting stuff nonetheless.

I think we've heard so many lame versions of his tunes in elevators and grocery stores it's soiled his name for some, which I think is a shame.

Edited by Free For All

I've neglected a more thorough exploration of his work... been meaning to get to it, but keep putting it off. From what I do know, however, I think Free For All is right on. Dreamsville is a nice tune, and another one that pops up quite a bit in jazz is "Mr. Lucky". One of these days, I'm going to grab some of his own works...

I really enjoy Sarah Vaughan's Mancini tribute that was reissued a few years ago by Verve. "Slow Hot Wind" and "Dreamsville" are a couple of tracks I particularly like on that album. Eric ALexander has a Mancini song, "Moment to Moment" on his recent release "The Second Milestone". Just bought the CD so I haven't really listened to it closely yet, but it's good to see that Mancini is still being played by today's jazzers.

I've neglected a more thorough exploration of his work... been meaning to get to it, but keep putting it off. 

Well, it's tough to get fired up about buying Mancini when you have to go to the dreaded "easy listening" section to find it. A lot of his discography consists of various "pops" orchestras playing medleys of his greatest hits arranged by someone who hasn't checked out Mancini's writing much. Not very enticing.

I think you're better off trying to get the actual soundtracks (or the CDs I mentioned above), where you can hear HM's own settings of his tunes. Granted, there are some "pop" moments that can be a bit cloying, but there are also some great swinging cuts as well as subtle moments that are almost Gil Evans-ish.

I think he had a real gift for melody- his tunes seem to have real staying power.

Some other Mancini tributes were put out by his daughter Monica, James Moody, Dave Grusin and a real quirky group called Oranj Symphonette.

Once at a gig some high roller came up to the stand and tipped the band $50 PER MAN to play Baby Elephant Walk. Normally, I try to maintain a modicum of dignity and artistic integrity, but for a $50-per man tip you can believe we were all over that shit.

We played the first chorus or so (it's a blues) and then took it hard left. The guy looked moderately bewildered but seemed to be generally OK with it. Another satisfied customer!

Edited by Free For All

Very mixed bag of an output. As a Hollywood writer, he wrote for specific occasions and settings more often than not, so if it was a hokey setting, you got hokey musc. If it was a drama, you got drama, if it was melancholy, etc. I tend to think of him more as a master craftsman than a consummate artist, but the respect for that craft is high.

I've heard a few of his big band albums from the 60s, and they mix moments of really nice writing with moments of "cuteness", often in the same piece, that steer the overall impact into the realm of moderately hip EZ Listening, AKA Stop It Hank, You'll Worry The People!

No doubt, though, when the guy had a chance to write a meaty song, he did it, and did it well. I'm just bugged that he didn't seem to do it except when he had to. But DAMN did he rake in the bucks, so far be it from me to begrudge him his situationality. It seems that Hollywood was where his heart was, and that he had no ambition to REALLY stretch himself as a writer, bandleader, or any other musical position. That's cool though. He did what he wanted to do apparently. He never seemed frustrated like some cats of that ilk do, you know, the "I got into film scoring for the challenge and the bread, but what I REALLY want to do is play bebop" type, so good for him! Quality Pop is quality first, and pop second, a fact worth remembering, maybe.

Hey, anybody who gave heavy work to Plas Johnson gets SOME respect in my book! :g

Edited by JSngry

...Don Byron recorded a theme from "Hatari!"

this is the first track on YOU ARE NUMBER 6 -- it's subtly heavy to me -- how conguero Milton Cardona invokes orishas -- laying on some old-time religion to counter the John-Wayne-on-safari-story of Hatari itself.

I'm remembering a thread on some other bulletin board about Peter Gunn (the TV show and its music) -- reminds me, did ED! ever make it over here under another handle?

Two more Mancini soundtracks that provide a great synaesthetic experience when you watch the movie at the same time: TOUCH OF EVIL and CHARADE.

Mancini has put out some great stuff and along with his themes for "Peter Gunn", "The Pink Panther", "Charade" and "Mr Lucky" one of my favourite LP's has almost a cross-section of his talent, divided into five distinct styles. The album is "Mancini Concert", which features his versions of Simon and Garfunkel, March with Mancini, the Overture from "Tommy", and "Medley From Jesus Christ Superstar". However, I bought it for the Big Band Montage which has a killer version of "Take The 'A' Train". He can swing hard when he wants to and, I think, he is well worth exploring.

Another collection that I like very much is "Mancini '67" which has a great version of 'Round Midnight" included as well as his take on "Satin Doll".

Mancini may very well have gotten a lot of his success from what almost amounts to MUSAK, but he is a very accomplished songwriter and arranger, as well as the orchestra leader with whom we are all familiar, in elevators. :blink:

Mancini's music, more than some, hits me variably depending on who's interpreting it. Probably because of the underlying "cuteness" Jim indicates in many of his compositions, in the hands of artists who also tend in that direction, his stuff can sound schmaltzy and sentimental.

On the other hand, check out Grant Green's immortally great rendition of "Moon River," which was already an overplayed tune even then, on GOODEN'S CORNER (also issued in the COMPLETE QUARTETS WITH SONNY CLARK). Green had a real knack for taking rather unpromising pop tunes and tearing your heart out with them...would have been great if he'd lived long enough to do a whole album of Mancini tunes, I suspect it would have turned a lot of heads.

In fact, just thinking about how great this rendition is - how it just encapsulates almost everything that made Green such a unique artist - made me want to change my avatar in tribute...

Edited by DrJ

On the other hand, check out Grant Green's immortally great rendition of "Moon River," which was already an overplayed tune even then, on GOODEN'S CORNER (also issued in the COMPLETE QUARTETS WITH SONNY CLARK).

Couldn't agree more! I've heard that rendition hundreds of times and never get sick of it. Definitely a career highlight. "Simply" Beautiful.

You were wrong, B3-er: the board problem does lose some posts, as I posted on this thread about 2 days ago but the post disappeared. Not to worry. No harm done.

I just wanted to say that I think Henry is top-class all around. My favorite is the "Peter Gunn" music (two LPs), which is good enough to sustain interest after many dozens of playings, especially the first album. The compositions, the arrangements, the sidemen, the production and execution are all first class.

Many years later, he even shows up as the composer of the "Remington Steele" theme, though it was not performed under his direction.