Coltrane Box at Best Buy

Ragu

I prefer the sound of the new single disc version of Africa Brass to the Impulse two cd set, but of course there is far less material.

I just got the thing yesterday, so I haven't had a lot of time to listen closely, but upon first inspection it seems that the 2-CD Complete Africa/Brass Sessions set has some added reverb that isn't present on the new remaster. Anyone else notice this? Overall, the remastering is improved - nothing drastic, but better bass definition and just a bit of overall clarity. And the discs luckily don't seem to subscribe to the "louder = better" philosophy.

Also, my Africa/Brass CD has a different design than the other CDs, an unusual design that I've never seen before. Is everyone else's like this, or did I get some freak version?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, my Africa/Brass CD has a different design than the other CDs, an unusual design that I've never seen before. Is everyone else's like this, or did I get some freak version?

So what does it look like?

Mine only has two designs; this one for Africa/Brass:

africabrasscdtf2.jpg

And this one for the rest:

balladscdwy3.jpg