LF: The Grateful Dead Fillmore West 1969 10 CD Box Set

Matthew

I'm looking for The Grateful Dead Fillmore West 1969 10 CD Box Set, and I'm willing to trade some Mosaics for it.

Willing to trade a combination of these Mosaics:

J.J. Johnson

Anita O'Day

Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band

Classic Capital Jazz Sessions

HRS Sessions

The boxes have usual self ware but cds and booklets are in great shape (I do keep care of my stuff).

The Dead set also needs to have the bonus cd and be in great condition.

PM me if interested.

PS: If you could post here first then PM me, that would be great.

Edited by Matthew

Matthew

I assume that you haven't heard this version. You may be surprised to know that the recordings were "cleaned up" for release, and not for the better, IMHO. Example: they added digital delay to a bunch of Jerry's solos.

Of course. I’ve gotten some flak online about some delays and other little things I put in on the 2/28 “Dark Star,” but they were things that I thought would make it sound a little better, whether they were right or wrong. But for the actual Live Dead material, I really tried not to do anything that was going to change it radically from what people already knew. David Lemieux was the guy who clued me in and said, ‘You know, people are going to be expecting this to sound a certain way. You don’t want to jar them too much.’ Matthews’ original mix was really excellent. I can see why everybody loves it so much. *

Not sure how you feel about that but that was over the line for me(and for the record he added stuff to more than just 2/28's DS :rmad: ) It's a shame because the box set represents the best version that we will probably ever see released commercially.

* http://www.dead.net/features/interviews/mi...-jeffrey-norman

Edit to say depending on how familiar you are with the original recordings of the entire run you may not mind or even notice the changes.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Matthew

I assume that you haven't heard this version. You may be surprised to know that the recordings were "cleaned up" for release, and not for the better, IMHO. Example: they added digital delay to a bunch of Jerry's solos.

Of course. I’ve gotten some flak online about some delays and other little things I put in on the 2/28 “Dark Star,” but they were things that I thought would make it sound a little better, whether they were right or wrong. But for the actual Live Dead material, I really tried not to do anything that was going to change it radically from what people already knew. David Lemieux was the guy who clued me in and said, ‘You know, people are going to be expecting this to sound a certain way. You don’t want to jar them too much.’ Matthews’ original mix was really excellent. I can see why everybody loves it so much. *

Not sure how you feel about that but that was over the line for me(and for the record he added stuff to more than just 2/28's DS :rmad: ) It's a shame because the box set represents the best version that we will probably ever see released commercially.

* http://www.dead.net/features/interviews/mi...-jeffrey-norman

Edit to say depending on how familiar you are with the original recordings of the entire run you may not mind or even notice the changes.

I've been going back-and-forth about this box for a year now. I have the SBDs of the shows, and they do sound very good to my ears. Plus, I know that Norman likes to "fiddle" with the music at times, but still, the completist in me would like to have a set -- there are limits though of what I would do to get one. But, you're right, I haven't heard the music so it does give me food for thought.

Edited by Matthew

depending on how familiar you are with the original recordings of the entire run you may not mind or even notice the changes.

It's only in my latter day zeal for the GD that I've actually grown to love this era, even though I'd been familar with the Live/Dead material for many decades.

So I got the box and love it to bits.

I didn't know about this digital meddling. I know now. And don't care! :crazy:

depending on how familiar you are with the original recordings of the entire run you may not mind or even notice the changes.

It's only in my latter day zeal for the GD that I've actually grown to love this era, even though I'd been familar with the Live/Dead material for many decades.

So I got the box and love it to bits.

I didn't know about this digital meddling. I know now. And don't care! :crazy:

That's cool. I mean sorry if I sounded a little harsh in my previous post. I'm glad you're digging the music. The box is a nice, albeit historically flawed, document. I just feel that they should have been forthcoming about adding elements to the mix. It wasn't until after they released the box that a bunch of very picky Deadheads(myself included) started complaining that they fessed up to it. I think that when it comes to fiddling around w/ history the less the better. If it boils down to authenticity vs. perfect sound, well.... I want warts and all.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

I've seen the Grateful Dead Fillmore West 1969 10 CD Box Set go for as much as $700 on ebay.

What's up with that Winterland '73 box that was supposedly in the works 18 months ago.......when the pre-order page was mistakenly put up on the Dead site by a staffer only to quickly get yanked? Not a peep outta them since..... I'm waiting for that rather than drop $600+ on this one.

http://www.deaddisc.com/disc/Winterland_19..._Recordings.htm

I've seen the Grateful Dead Fillmore West 1969 10 CD Box Set go for as much as $700 on ebay.

What's up with that Winterland '73 box that was supposedly in the works 18 months ago.......when the pre-order page was mistakenly put up on the Dead site by a staffer only to quickly get yanked? Not a peep outta them since..... I'm waiting for that rather than drop $600+ on this one.

http://www.deaddisc.com/disc/Winterland_19..._Recordings.htm

Supposedly, the rumor is that it's coming our early next year. It should be good, I just listened to the soundboards from that Winterland run last week -- first night was nothing to write home about, but the next two were outstanding.

• 1 year later...

If anyone is interested, the deal is still good....

I too have been wishing I'd gotten in on it at the beginning. I, too, have a ton of soundboards and much of that run. But I just thought about all the jazz I could buy for $500-$700. I ended up getting the whole box, plus the bonus disc, via the Net on MP3, which I burned as conventional CDs. It kills me to think about what I'm missing sonically from a lossy format, but until I find a box cheap, it'll have to do. The discs sound OK, frankly, and I just wanted to hear the music.

Corbin

Matthew don't do it if you want to make a statement against

a) fetish-ized archival releases (anybody's vault). it's really stupid, and a thing of this whole ugly winner-take-all era. even more ugly and stupid is "limited edition" marketing. I commend the GD for initially offering that great boxfor a modest price, but I prefer a more low key Dick's Picks approach.

b) ebay-driven greed, which glorifies the market price above all. excellent record stores with a business in used goods don't try to extract the last buck on every item, and so turning your back on ebay-type greed could result in fortuitous just-arrived-bin-karma at your local fair-deal independent record store. hey you never know.

c) these fillmore shows are out there in circulation in great quality, so enjoy them without the GDM's or Rhino's "product" sanction. it's hard to run with the weight of gold. go out and hear some great live music instead.

btw, best new GD show discovery tip from me is 12/26/70, in great quality now on archive.org. Check it out!

I have been thinking about these issues as a result of paying out the wazoo for Zappa's expensive vault releases, which are otherwise excellent. I know the Dead made a small sum on the Fillmore box compared to how the ebay scarcity trade has bubbled, I think that makes me all the more willing to speak out against the profiteering. Peace and return-to-real-work in '09!!! cheers, Dan

• 3 weeks later...