The last roundup

Dave James

With all respect to your feelings, and my own, at the same time I feel some relief there ain't no more - at least one collection that can be complete!

Of course I know what we are talking about here - it's a sad thing. But wouldn't Hank turn us on to other players?

So what is your least played Hank album - and unjustly so?

Probably 'Another Workout'. It's always seemed to me a bit of an anti-climax after the great peaks of 'Soul Station', 'Roll Call' and 'Workout' and I've tended to put it sort of on one side. I really must have another in-depth listen to this session and - yes - suspect that it is long overdue for RVG treatment (as is 'A Caddy For Daddy'). Message to Classic Records - please may we have a 200g vinyl deepgroove of this one?

First impressions of 'Another Workout' back when it was first issued in the 80s was of a hugely swinging, solid and very listenable Hank hard bop date but there was nothing that really caught the ear and said this was special. At the time, there were reissues of things like 'Search For The New Land' and 'Empyrean Isles' coming out of Pathe Marconi and this one sounded routine in comparisson. On that basis, this one is well overdue for my listening attentions.

I've also just picked up a Prestige twofer of the 'Messages' sessions, which I wasn't familiar with before, so its nice to have a bit more new (at least to me) Mobley to savour.

Edited by sidewinder