A new year - a new Fathead!!

White Lightning

Nice to see Cedar in support rather than out front (not that I don't enjoy his trio albums, but I especially enjoy him with horns) and what I've heard of Curtis Fuller in recent years tells me this ought to be a real good 'un.

This sure looks like another winner. I loved David's recent recording, "Life." He continues to perform and record heartfelt and beautiful music. I'm wondering about the photographer, too...incredible photo of David - maybe Jimmy Katz?

Marla

Karen, David's wife, told me the photographer is Roy Gumpel.

David is going to be on the David Letterman show next Tuesday, not as a sit down guest, but as a guest of the band. For those of you in NYC, don't forget about the 75th Birthday Celebration for David - at Iridium - he's going to have some of the best of the best as guests on his gig!

Marla

Edited by makpjazz57

Here's some info on Gumpel:

Roy Gumpel, photographer/cinematographer...

He has been shooting various commercial projects for companies such as Sony Records, High Note Records, Canon, Citibank, Visa, Bell South, The American Lung Association, as well as for magazines such as Country Living, Organic Gardening, Scholastic, Wooden Boat. He has shot film projects for Nickelodeon, NBC, Garth Brooks (music video), America’s Most Wanted, National Geographic Explorer, and TLC. Roy has photographed two books, Masks, and Faux Flowers, and is currently working on three photo books. He makes his home, and is a volunteer firefighter, in High Falls, N.Y.

His website: Visit My Website

I'm somewhat disappointed that HighNote has stopped licensing their Newman CDs to eMusic; they have a lot of the earlier ones They haven't completely stopped their connection as some Eric Alexander CDs are turning up. I guess it is worth dropping them and perhaps eMusic a line.

I'm somewhat disappointed that HighNote has stopped licensing their Newman CDs to eMusic; they have a lot of the earlier ones They haven't completely stopped their connection as some Eric Alexander CDs are turning up. I guess it is worth dropping them and perhaps eMusic a line.

Interesting. I wonder if the firm perceives that there is a somewhat different market for some of these albums. Do they, for example, license the Mel Sparks, Houston Person, Reuben Wilson and other similar albums to Emusic?

MG

Here's the info on David's "birthday bash" at Iridium next week -got this from jazztimes.com:

Saxophonist David “Fathead” Newman to Celebrate 75th Birthday with All-Star Guests

Date: January 17, 2008

Written By: Jeff Tamarkin

Saxophone great David “Fathead” Newman will celebrate his 75th birthday at the New York jazz club Iridium with a parade of guests including Phil Woods, Jimmy Heath, Cedar Walton and many others. The shows will take place on January 24th to 27th, with sets at 8:30 and 10:30 PM. Newman will also appear on The Late Show with David Letterman as a guest of bandleader Paul Shaffer on January 22nd, and will be interviewed on radio station WBGO by Gary Walker at 9 AM on the 25th

Iridium is located at 1650 Broadway (at the corner of W. 51st Street) in Manhattan. For reservations or more information call 212-582-2121 or visit Iridium. The ticket charge is $35 and thre is a $10 minimum per person per show.

Newman’s band will include Warren Bernhardt on piano, John Menegon on bass and Yoron Israel on drums and the guest lineup is expected to be as follows:

Phil Woods (January 24)

Jimmy Heath (January 25)

Frank Wess (January 26)

Cedar Walton (January 27 first set)

Eric Alexander (Jan. 24 or 25)

Vincent Herring (January 26 or 27)

Lew Soloff (January 27)

Jimmy Cobb (January 24)

Steve Turre (January 27)

Marcus Belgrave (January 24)

Ken Peplowski (January 25)

Paul Shaffer (January 24)