Blue Notes box set

Chalupa

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! I sent them a mail, do they have some kind of mailing list or does one just have to visit their site from time to time to see what's going on?

They seem to be a bit 'hit or miss' as far as replying to e-mails go. I e-mailed them today to ask what the price was going to be so it'll be interesting to find out whether I get a reply.

I usually end up ringing them direct and ordering over the phone. Easy enough when you live in the UK but not so good if you have to ring from abroad, I know.

Great! I sent them a mail, do they have some kind of mailing list or does one just have to visit their site from time to time to see what's going on?

They seem to be a bit 'hit or miss' as far as replying to e-mails go. I e-mailed them today to ask what the price was going to be so it'll be interesting to find out whether I get a reply.

I usually end up ringing them direct and ordering over the phone. Easy enough when you live in the UK but not so good if you have to ring from abroad, I know.

Ah well, eventually if it's about business I guess they should be interested to sell me the box, and as long as I get the news from here, that's alright... it's my second mail there, no reaction to the first.

• 2 weeks later...

As an aside, and partially because I've given up looking for the South African Jazz thread, Hugh Masekela's Home Is Where the Music Is has just been reissued. It has both Dudu Pukwana (misspelled Phukwana in the scant liners) and Makaya Ntshoko (Larry Willis and Eddie Gomez round out the band). It's probably the best Masekela I've heard--and not just because of partiality to free South African music (and there's really none of that here, personnel notwithstanding)--but because the balance between jazz and R&B is truly fine, and the band plays wonderfully. Masekela is in mercurial form--as harmonically inventive and poised as I've heard from him. Dudu has a bit of that early Brotherhood anarchy in there. The rhythm section plays wonderfully, considering the rhythmic straightjacket of the R&B/mbaqanga groove.

(As an aside, Louis Moholo was telling me how what was inventive about his approach to rhythm on In the Townships were the cymbals and the bass drum. "Traditional" mbaqanaga tends to emphasize the snare and very basic cymbal patterns. Like Moholo, Ntshoko is all the fuck over the place in this music, and it works wonderfully).

I'd put this somewhat below In the Townships but definitely in shooting distance of Flute Music, in terms of music of this kind. Some of the repertoire will be familiar to those who follow(ed) Spear and Zila, so it will sit comfortably with those who want to have a listen, I think.

Edited by ep1str0phy

There's been a bit of discussion of this Masekela reissue in the Universal reissues thread - I agree, it's a wonderful disc! Can't compare it to those Spear albums, as I don't own those, but indeed, Ntshoko is wonderful here - his long solo somewhere in the middle of the disc is a treat as well! And Willis/Gomez fit in nicely with this kind of groove! Also indeed Pukwana is the wildest, edgiest element of this band, reaching beyond the "limits" of the grooves and of the all-together pretty polished sound. Highly recommended!

1027867.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got this in an email this morning....

AT LAST…

THE BLUE NOTES 5CD BOX SET OGCD024-028

WILL BE AVAILABLE FROM 05.09.2008

MAIL-ORDER PRICE WILL BE £32.00 INCLUDING POSTAGE.

Payment by cheque payable to Ogun Recording Ltd, or by credit card.

Card details, number, expiry date and last 3 digits on the back of the card,

should be sent in 2 or 3 emails for security.

And of course your address.

Many thanks, look forward to hearing from you. Hazel Miller

Shoot, I keep forgetting to post this.... From the Fledg'ling website....

Fledg’ling will be releasing Our Prayer a previously unreleased set by the Chris McGregor Trio (FLED 3070) on October 13th

Who else made up the trio besides McGregor?

I believe it is Louis Moholo on drums and Barre Phillips on bass.

BTW My Blue Notes box set arrived this morning. I've not had a chance to listen to it yet but the booklet is excellent.

I live in Philly and I ordered mine directly from Hazel. I just checked my CC statement and my final cost is - $56.68

Screw DMG.

In all fairness, DMG has a hell of a monthly rent to cough up. Buying direct from the source will always be cheaper.

Granted, but that doesn't excuse DMG marking up the price $34, IMHO. That's a 60% price gouge. But hey it's your money. YMMV.