watch this clip on You Tube - I have died and gone to

AllenLowe

there's actually a whole web site devoted to her - early and openly gay at nightclubs in NYC during the Harlem Renaissance - apparently marries a woman in NJ at some point - moves West and goes through a local anti-gay backlash, marries a few men as cover, does some performing, and than dies in a flu epidemic -

I love her 1920s recordings - sorta campy but substantial. But man, I had no idea she could play that kind of piano -

well, a few years ago I came across a private collection from a famous old pop/jazz musician, and among the collection were an incredibly clear test pressing of the original Shave 'Em Dry, unexpurgated, by Lucille Bogan - much better than any version extant; also a version of something called When the Cows Come Home , just as dirty, and hilarious - I cleaned them up and they were the sources for the Sony Legacy release of Bogan - I haven't made too big a deal of this because I had to sneak the test pressings OUT of the collection, master them, and then sneak them back in -