Blue Note CDs that are no longer copy-protected

Kyo

I guess all European board members remember that not long ago all EMI discs

were issued with annoying copy protection, forcing many fans to order imports

from the US (those discs were still issued as regular audio CDs for some reason).

EMI has dropped copy protection meanwhile and I've been seeing more and more

discs from those batches without the copy protection - obviously re-pressed CDs

with slightly altered artwork to get rid of those old copy protection warnings -

they didn't even bother to use the original RVG spine lettering, instead the area

where the copy protection message used to be is now just left black - weird).

Here's what I've personally seen or even bought recently WITHOUT copy-protection:

Horace Silver - Horace Silver Trio (spotlight on drums: Art Blakey - Sabu)

Jimmy Smith - Home Cookin'

Lonnie Smith - Turning Point

Stanley Turrentine - That's Where It's At

I bought a few, and with one it had the new non-CC design but the CD itself actually had CC - I only found out at home when I wanted to put it on my ipod - that sucked, but I didn't bother to bring it back... (it was the Freddie Hubbard Sextet/Septet disc, can't remember its title).

Titles I bought are: the Cecil Taylor disc, also Smith's Turning Point, and another Hubbard that I think was CC (Here To Stay). Also Blue Train was a CC disc, no? Not sure, but I think I got a few more, but I'm too lazy to check.

A bit out of topic. The Copy Protection was one the reasons that pushed me back to vinyl. Funny, if you think that I usually didn't copy nor I had an iPod. I bought a CP's David Bowie cd that didn't play on my Linn cd player, because it didn't fullfill the CD Red Book requirements. I gave it back to the store...and I bought a vinyl reissue of the same title.

iirc these used to be cc but i bought non-cc copies at the local store:

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul

Grant Green - Grantstand

Lonnie Smith - Think!

Jackie McLean - Destination Out

i also remember seeing the Joe Henderson disc with the larger ensemble (Mode for Joe?) as non-cc while the copy of the quartet disc (Inner Urge?) they had was still cc, also some of the Dexter Gordon discs were non-cc while others still were cc

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul

Grant Green - Grantstand

Lonnie Smith - Think!

That's good news, all these are on my Blue Note wishlist (I didn't get them because of the copy protection until now). :)

Edited by Kyo

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul

Grant Green - Grantstand

Lonnie Smith - Think!

That's good news, all these are on my Blue Note wishlist (I didn'g get them because of the CD until now). :)

:) they are among the 10 cds i keep in my office (more would look decadent i thought), just switched from Think! to Heavy Soul, they're a great bunch!

Edited by Niko

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul

Grant Green - Grantstand

Lonnie Smith - Think!

That's good news, all these are on my Blue Note wishlist (I didn'g get them because of the CD until now). :)

:) they are among the 10 cds i keep in my office (more would look decadent i thought), just switched from Think! to Heavy Soul, they're a great bunch!

Makes me wonder which are the other 7?

JB