Australian Open Tennis 2008

Ok, so since last year, I have had the tennis channel and now finally I can see full coverage of what's going on in the Aussie Open. Of course I also get additional coverage from ESPN, so now its complete covereage. So, in short, who are your favorites? A week's already gone by and anyone who saw the Federer/Tipsarervic (sic) match saw, in my opinion, the best match so far. So with the No. 1 & 2 seeds out in the women's draw and Federer and Nadal heading to an inevetable second final match, viz. Wimbledon 2007coming on, what are your thoughts, opinions? Again, excuse me for cutting corners, but since this is the first grand slam of this year let's get a move on! :crazy:

Edited by Holy Ghost

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Djokovic/Ferrer now (Eastern time). I have to admit that I thought that Ferrer would have the edge, but on the contarary its the other way around. Watching the US Open last year, I have no faith that Djokovic has a chance in beating Federer, if I checked the bracket correctly.

Oh HELL YEAH I'm watching the Australian! :g

On the women's side I always favor Sharapova (and watch with the sound off) and it looks like she has regained her form along with her health. I give her the edge on the remaining field.

I always root for James Blake until he loses, which I expect was last night against Federer but I haven't checked the scores yet, and then its Federer for me. I watched that tough match last week and it was definitely an instant classic. I suppose some day Nadal may break through in a major not played on clay, hopefully it won't be this week. I think Roger will go down as the all-time greatest champion, almost at the level that Tiger Woods is expected to reach.

And best of all, I've finally found some practice partners so I hope to be playing tennis 3 times a week starting today. I'll get in shape yet. :g

Not to ruin those who were sleeping on the EC, but I stayed up to watch the Federer/Blake match live and Federer won in straight sets: 7/5, 7/6, 6/4. I'm a fan of Blake too, maybe because of his incredible journey back to tennis. Sharapova is looking like a heavy favorite to win since she doesn't have to worry about being destroyed by Serena anymore.

Not to ruin those who were sleeping on the EC, but I stayed up to watch the Federer/Blake match live and Federer won in straight sets: 7/5, 7/6, 6/4. I'm a fan of Blake too, maybe because of his incredible journey back to tennis. Sharapova is looking like a heavy favorite to win since she doesn't have to worry about being destroyed by Serena anymore.

I saw those scores and I'm presuming ESPN will re-run the match later today. It sounds like it was one of the stronger performances Blake has had - yet its still not enough against Federer. But Blake had a down year until the Davis Cup, maybe he's ready to re-assert himself as a top ten, maybe top five player. That would be good to see.

The Federer/Blake match is on ESPN now if you want to catch it; it just started about 10 mins ago. I think Blake has nothing to be ashamed about; he played a very good game. But RFed is the kind of player that when he has competition, he always raises his game to the next level. I don't see very many players who have the capability to do that.

This is the first Oz Open during which I've had pay tv, so for the first week I had the luxury of three live feeds - the free-to-air host Channel 7 and two Foxtel channels.

I've seen some great stuff and some fine upsets. Sharapova gives me the shits, but man she wiped the floor with Henin. I expect Federer will win the men's singles, but I feel he's peaked and there's a bunch of yoiung hot shots who will likely take him down in the next year or so.

Melbourne has been unusually mild and cool for the Open so far, compared to previous years.

ivanovich greatly impressed me in the match with venus. such athleticism and strength and mental toughness i have seen in very few lady tennis players

Venus's leg injury may have prevented her from playing her best as I saw a noticble limp before the match started and her thigh was almost completely bandaged. Nonetheless, Ivanovich capitalilzed on the situation and made Venus pay. Should be interesting to see if Sharapova will be her next opponent.

Sharapova would have rolled over either Williams sister had they played. I think she would have beaten Venus, injury or no injury. She looks as good as she ever has in any Slam.

Venus yes, Serina questionable. She destroyed Sharapova in straights last year at the Australian.

I believe Sharapova was hurt almost all of last year. She destroyed Henin - I think she would have taken care of Serena, too.

Sharapova would have rolled over either Williams sister had they played. I think she would have beaten Venus, injury or no injury. She looks as good as she ever has in any Slam.

Venus yes, Serina questionable. She destroyed Sharapova in straights last year at the Australian.

I believe Sharapova was hurt almost all of last year. She destroyed Henin - I think she would have taken care of Serena, too.

I wanted to add that I agree that Sharapova is playing some amazing tennis and that she deserves to be in the finals. I was shocked at Henin's rather ordinary play against Sharapova. Serina's run was extrordinary last year whereas this year she really didn't defend her title as well as I thought she was going to.

Well, I was going to wonder aloud if the guy who took Nadal out could handle Federer too, only to find out just now that Federer had his streak of Slam finals ended by the guy who he beat at the US Open last year. :angry:

Somewhere, Pete Sampras is smiling.

:g

I couldn't watch the match, but I just found out this morning!

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Israel's Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram won their first grand slam title with a 7-5 7-6 victory over Frenchmen Arnaud Clement and Michael Llodra. They became the first Israeli pair to win a grand slam title!!!

:tup:D

MEL112_m.jpggg792966.jpg

Edited by B. Goren.

French fans won't be able to say Cocorico as Tsonga was beaten by Djokovic

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Djokovic Beats Tsonga for Aussie Title

By JOHN PYE – 13 minutes ago

Novak Djokovic fended off unseeded Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 (2) in the Australian Open final Sunday, earning his first Grand Slam title.

No. 3-ranked Djokovic's win broke a sequence of 11 straight majors won by either Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal since Marat Safin's triumph at the 2005 Australian championship.

Djokovic had not lost a set in six matches leading into the final, including his semifinal win over two-time defending champion Federer.

But with Muhammad Ali lookalike Tsonga coming out swinging like he did in his straight-sets upset over No. 2 Nadal in the semifinals, that streak came to a sudden end.

The 20-year-old Djokovic rebounded in the second and third sets and after saving a crucial breakpoint in the fourth, clinched his first major at his 13th attempt.

He was the youngest player since Stefan Edberg defeated Mats Wilander in 1985 to win the Australian title and the first man from Serbia to win a major.

As well as Tsonga, he had to overcome cramps.

Djokovic got treatment on the back of his left thigh while holding for a 3-2 lead in the fourth set, then fended off a break point while serving at 5-5.

Wanting to finish it off quickly, he raced through the tiebreaker — with some help from Tsonga, who double-faulted to make it 5-1 and then sent a running forehand long to give Djokovic four championship points.

He only needed one as Tsonga hit a forehand wide.

Djokovic fell on his back, then got up to shake hands with Tsonga and put his arm around the Frenchman. He got on his knees and kissed the court, shook hands with his family, then tossed two rackets into the stands before burying his face in a towel.

"First, before I thank everybody in this world, I want to thank everybody in my box, who've supported me all the way through, not just these two weeks, all the way in my life," Djokovic said. "Thank you very much, I love you.

"Second of course Jo. Unbelievable tournament and you should be proud of yourself — if he won tonight it would be absolutely deserved, so well done for his success."

Djokovic, who has had a hot and cold relationship with the Melbourne Park crowd, won them back over again in his post-match speech.

"I know the crowd wanted him to win more," he said of Tsonga. "That's OK, it's alright. I still love you guys, don't worry.

"I'm very, very happy that I won my first Grand Slam here, so hopefully we'll see you here on this stage a lot more often in the future."

Tsonga, ranked 38th, was playing his fifth Grand Slam tournament and had never previously gone beyond the fourth round. He was aiming to be the first Frenchman in 80 years to win the Australian title and the first to win any of the four Grand Slams since Yannick Noah's win at Roland Garros in 1983.

Rod Laver Arena was packed and awash in red, white and blue, the national colors of both countries, but there was little doubt where the rowdy crowd's loyalties lay — with underdog Tsonga, who has delighted the Melbourne Park fans with his ebullient personality and go-for-broke style.

A portrait of Ali, a racket sketched in one hand, was taped to a wall, and Tsonga sprinted onto the court for warmups.

Djokovic, who had complained after his semifinal victory over Federer that he had to fight two opponents because of the overwhelming support for the Swiss star, was at it again, frequently turning toward a pocket of chanting Serbian fans to get them fired up after he fired winners.

Both men looked tight at first, dropping their first service games before settling in.

Tsonga suddenly picked up his game when it appeared the first set was headed for a tiebreaker. He blasted three aces to take a 5-4 lead, then came up with two great shots to break Djokovic.

Serving at 30-30, Djokovic had an easy overhead, but didn't do enough with it. Tsonga ripped a forehand crosscourt passing shot for a winner, then raised his racket and roared with the crowd.

Another good forehand winner finished off the set, and Tsonga went down on one knee to pump his fist before dancing over to his chair to a standing ovation.

Djokovic refused to crumble. He never faced a break point in the second and third sets, yielding only 10 points in his nine service games.

Tsonga, who had been so aggressive in beating four top 14 players earlier in the tournament, including No. 2 Rafael Nadal in the semifinals, seemed more content to rally from the baseline, especially after getting passed several times.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't see the game, it was played at 3 am for us. What makes Tsonga intriguing is that he's way better suited for hard courts than clay which setss him apart of other recent French players who generally have their best for clay courts. Although from memory Pioline was getting great results on hard surfaces So you gotta like his chance to have a great run late in the summer and make some moves on the rankings.

Edited by Van Basten II

Rarely able to gather some interest for a game that i already know the outcome. Only sport i can witch knowing the results is boxing.

That's understandable; tennis is played all over the world and the time change plays a major role in that. the only slam that can be watched live here in the states is the US Open (I know, obviously :rolleyes: ).

3 PM ET on the Tennis Channel.

Tsonga dominated that first set, and I was quite impressed with his game. In short, he made a couple of amazing shots. Once Djokovic settled in though, it was all Novak after that. It must be a thrill for Novak to win his first major and no doubt it won't be his last. And for Tsonga who's unseeded to make the finals is also very noteworthy. He'll be ranked in the 20's for sure.