Australian Open Tennis 2008

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I woke up at 3:30 for some reason last night and I thought hey the tennis game is on. Saw the 3rd set tie break, glad I was up for the 2-2 break point back and forth in fourth set which was epic. Some of the best tennis I have ever seen in my life. These two guys never cease to amaze me.

Now that I've read the press coverage, I am especially ticked off that it seems apparent Federer lost due to his serve deserting him. 51% on first serves? All of those double faults? Makes this loss even more annoying. Guess I'll watch up to the fifth set - it sure sounds as though it wasn't very competitive and knowing the outcome, I'd rather watch the moronic Super Bowl pre-game.

Now that I've read the press coverage, I am especially ticked off that it seems apparent Federer lost due to his serve deserting him. 51% on first serves? All of those double faults? Makes this loss even more annoying. Guess I'll watch up to the fifth set - it sure sounds as though it wasn't very competitive and knowing the outcome, I'd rather watch the moronic Super Bowl pre-game.

The first four sets were high quality; it was the fifth where RFed dismantled himself. The doubles really sealed his fate. And like you said the 1st serve precentanges were appallingly bad. Rafa deserved the victory.

5th set was a letdown after 4 brilliant sets, don't think that his serve was that much the reason of Federer losing,even when those stats were at their worst he was able to get by it did not help though It basically came down that when important points were coming up, Nadal upped his game while Roger didn't. Also the 5th set, he just looked flat in his all around game

Nadal truly deserves to be called the numero uno

I haven't seen it yet so I can't say that my opinion applies, but when Federer is serving to his usual standards, on a hard court, with consistent first serves, he's exceptionally tough to beat. He lost serve at least twice in the first set, and that's not like him at all. Maybe he loses the set in a tie-break anyway. But I'll bet that Federer most regrets his service problems.

I HATE DVRS! :angry:

I wimped out and crashed after Federer went up 2-0 in the fourth figuring that I'd watch the rest of the match tonight. I didn't plan on the recording stopping just three games later.

Dan, I'd say Federer had more problems than just his serve, although that was a big one. He couldn't win a break point to save his life. Nadal kept giving him opportunities, and he just couldn't cash in. When Nadal got the opportunity, he snapped it up promptly. Nadal didn't seem at all well, physically; the previous match seemed to affect him quite a bit. But he still had what it takes.

If this match was any indication, Sampras may have a longer wait than he thought to enjoy his record...

I HATE DVRS! :angry:

I wimped out and crashed after Federer went up 2-0 in the fourth figuring that I'd watch the rest of the match tonight. I didn't plan on the recording stopping just three games later.

Yup, had the same problem with the Nadal v. Verdasco match because the length of the game surpassed the alotted 3 hour time slot. I got around this by DVRing the shows following the scheduled match-this worked out great with the Fed v. Nadal match. :rsmile:

I said it before but I will say it again, the sequence of going to the 8th deuce in the 4 set when it was 2-2 was epic. Just because it didn't have the great finish like 08 Wimbleton didn't mean it wasn't a great match.

Won't happen but if Fed can win the French vs Nadal....

Edited by WorldB3

Nice article on Fed and the open in the local rag.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../SPJB15LKUM.DTL

"God, this is killing me," said Federer, who then began sobbing, and he could not stop. True enough, he had been physically outplayed by Nadal, whose elements of desire and endurance border on the supernatural. But now, Federer's mind was blank. He seemed to sense that his reign is over, that a 14th major title (Pete Sampras' record) seems somehow unattainable, that Nadal (at 22) is five years younger and improving his game in every respect, that Sunday's fifth set was a lamentable mismatch, that things will get only worse at the next Grand Slam stop, the clay courts of Paris.

"Let's be honest, the guy (Nadal) is in his head," broadcaster Patrick McEnroe said after Sunday's match. "Roger basically folded in that fifth set, couldn't handle the pressure. It's going to be difficult for him to come back from this, and he definitely needs a coach. He's never had to adjust to something, because he's been so talented he could go out there and figure it out. All of a sudden, there's a guy he can't do that against."

Edited by WorldB3

Nice article on Fed and the open in the local rag.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../SPJB15LKUM.DTL

"God, this is killing me," said Federer, who then began sobbing, and he could not stop. True enough, he had been physically outplayed by Nadal, whose elements of desire and endurance border on the supernatural. But now, Federer's mind was blank. He seemed to sense that his reign is over, that a 14th major title (Pete Sampras' record) seems somehow unattainable, that Nadal (at 22) is five years younger and improving his game in every respect, that Sunday's fifth set was a lamentable mismatch, that things will get only worse at the next Grand Slam stop, the clay courts of Paris.

"Let's be honest, the guy (Nadal) is in his head," broadcaster Patrick McEnroe said after Sunday's match. "Roger basically folded in that fifth set, couldn't handle the pressure. It's going to be difficult for him to come back from this, and he definitely needs a coach. He's never had to adjust to something, because he's been so talented he could go out there and figure it out. All of a sudden, there's a guy he can't do that against."

It may take longer to get that 14th and 15th Slam, but let's remember that Federer has won 5 straight US Opens, where Nadal has yet to reach the final. Pete had a great record at the US Open, too and set the record there, too. The big difference with the rise of Nadal is that a year ago, it looked like Federer would roar past Sampras, and now it will probably be a slow, unsteady climb.

It may take longer to get that 14th and 15th Slam, but let's remember that Federer has won 5 straight US Opens, where Nadal has yet to reach the final. Pete had a great record at the US Open, too and set the record there, too. The big difference with the rise of Nadal is that a year ago, it looked like Federer would roar past Sampras, and now it will probably be a slow, unsteady climb.

Fed for sure will win another US Open, its almost a home court for him at this point. Its crazy how fast Nadal has improved all areas of his game. Its been awhile since Tennis has has two players with such complete games and an aura of greatness. Agassi and Samprass were amazing but these two guys for some reason are more fun to watch and root for.

The FED will be back. They also said Sampras was dead before he won his 14th. Federer is younger than Sampras when he won his 14th, isn't he. Don't count him out. Nadal will get his wins, but the Fed is not through. Somebody said earlier he needs to get a coach to straighten out and strengthen his weaknesses against Nadal (or anybody for that matter).

WHY is nobody harping on how lucky Nadal was to get to the Final in the first place??

WHY is nobody harping on how lucky Nadal was to get to the Final in the first place??

As much of an RFed fan as I am, I can't say that Nadal got where he did by luck, especially after that epic five-setter against Verdasco that landed him in the finals. If anything, RFed's side of the draw really opened up, especially after he got by Berdych in five sets and the Djoker retired. After that, Fed defeated Roddick in straights and had plenty of rest before the finals, whereas Nadal basically had a day to rest after defeating Verdasco in five. With all due respect, the championship was on Fed's racket and he dropped the ball (forgive the pun :P ) in the fifth set of the finals. It had to be one of Fed's sloppiest fifth sets I've ever seen.