Bill Russo - "The World of Alcina"

garthsj

Amazon has just cancelled my pre-order for this album. It was supposed to have been reissued on November 21st in Japan. Can anyone tell me if this album was reissued, and where I can get a copy?

Garth.

It was part of a series of 20 lesser known Atlantics, put together by 2 identities on the Japanese Jazz scene.

Release of the series was originally planned for November, then put off till January. Now the Warner Music Japan site says release has been postponed. I can't imagine it will just disappear, as it had some publicity, and the compilers are well known ...

Q

Amazon has just cancelled my pre-order for this album. It was supposed to have been reissued on November 21st in Japan. Can anyone tell me if this album was reissued, and where I can get a copy?

Garth.

It was part of a series of 20 lesser known Atlantics, put together by 2 identities on the Japanese Jazz scene.

Release of the series was originally planned for November, then put off till January. Now the Warner Music Japan site says release has been postponed. I can't imagine it will just disappear, as it had some publicity, and the compilers are well known ...

Q

Many thanks for this information. Hiroshi Tanno told me essentially the same thing, and promised me a copy when it is finally available.

I've said it here before , but I wish Mosaic would see fit to present some of Russo's non-Kenton work such as this Atlantic , the two Roulette sides , and the London session that was on Fred Miles' FM label . World of Alcina has three unissued numbers ; would be a nice surprise if they had somehow survived Atlantic's vault fire .

While we're on the subject of Bill Russo , has anyone here picked up the Fresh Sound CD of Something New , Something Blue ? I'm curious about the sound quality .

I've said it here before , but I wish Mosaic would see fit to present some of Russo's non-Kenton work such as this Atlantic , the two Roulette sides , and the London session that was on Fred Miles' FM label . World of Alcina has three unissued numbers ; would be a nice surprise if they had somehow survived Atlantic's vault fire .

While we're on the subject of Bill Russo , has anyone here picked up the Fresh Sound CD of Something New , Something Blue ? I'm curious about the sound quality .

The sound quality is so-so .. better than my scratchy original vinyl, but I have a feeling that this reissue was made from a vinyl copy ... this important album obviously needs a remastered reissue ... will Columbia ever do it? Probably not in my lifetime...

How about the John Lewis material on Columbia ... The Jazz Orchestra U.S.A. sides and especially P.O.V. ??

If you ever get word of those Jazz Orchestra U.S.A. sides ever resurfacing, garthsj, please give me a holler! Was the Weill reissue originally on Columbia? The CD came from Koch, iirc....

"The Sextet of Orchestra USA Plays 'Mack The Knife'" was originally on RCA , and was reissued on French BMG. (I am holding it in my hand as I write this ... )

What a lineup ... Mike Zwerin, Nick Travis, Eric Dolphy, John Lewis, Richard Davis, and Connie Kay ...

"The Debut Recording of Orchestra USA" was reissued by LonhehillJazz in 2004. This CD has both the mono and stereo versions, providing 75:56 minutes of music, and well worth getting. This is the only Orchestra USA material that I know of on CD ...

The sound quality is so-so .. better than my scratchy original vinyl, but I have a feeling that this reissue was made from a vinyl copy ... this important album obviously needs a remastered reissue ... will Columbia ever do it? Probably not in my lifetime...

I'm afraid I agree with you Garth ; If Sony/Columbia can't even see their way to giving us a proper CD reissue of Mingus' Let My Children Hear Music , then there can't be much hope of their reissuing the Russo , let alone something like the Bob Prince .

Quasimodo-have you a list of this series of 20 Atlantics?

Tony , here is the list . They were to be mini-LP sleeve CDs with a list price of 2310 Yen :

WPCR 25076 Patty McGovern Wednesday's Child

WPCR 25077 Lars Gullin Baritone Sax

WPCR 25078 Helen Merrill American Country Songs

WPCR 25079 Mary Lou Williams & Barbara Carroll Ladies of Jazz

WPCR 25080 Bob Brookmeyer Portrait of the Artist

WPCR 25081 Slide Hampton Something Sanctified

WPCR 25082 Vi Redd Lady Soul

WPCR 25083 Philly Joe Jones Philly Joe's Beat

WPCR 25084 Various Artists Jazz Piano International

WPCR 25085 Jimmy Giuffre Travelin' Light

WPCR 25086 Dave Pike Jazz for the Jet Set

WPCR 25087 Diahann Carroll Fun Life