George Russell/Bill Evans/Art Farmer - TV Show

garthsj

Again, I apologize if this has been posted before, but it contains some amazing 1958 jazz, including Russell's "Billy The Kid" featuring Bill Evans ... and rare footage of Tony Scott, Gene Quill, Jimmy Cleveland ... and many others. It is well worth the 25 minutes of your time ...

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=vAgaqALyJJ4

Again, I apologize if this has been posted before, but it contains some amazing 1958 jazz, including Russell's "Billy The Kid" featuring Bill Evans ... and rare footage of Tony Scott, Gene Quill, Jimmy Cleveland ... and many others. It is well worth the 25 minutes of your time ...

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=vAgaqALyJJ4

OOOPS! I notice that Ghost had just beaten me to posting this ... still, it is worth anoother duplicate post .. :-)

simply wonderful. many thanks. what strikes me most about shows like this is that it hearkens back to a time when jazz, and people in general, were treated with more respect and intelligence that they are today. i'm sure it wasn't the norm, but it's a real eye-opener to see and hear people take the music and the musicians seriously. i've had a chance to view jazz performances on noneducational shows as well, and it just seems like it was a different time and even a different society altogether back then. perhaps i am a pessimist ( as someone mentioned in another thread), but i just don't think we'll ever recapture that sense of curiosity and hunger for discovery in music ever again. :(

I was fortunate enough to see the entire "The Subject Is Jazz" series when it was first broadcast in 1958. Other than possibly Father Norman O'Connor's jazz series on Boston public TV, it was the best jazz series ever. Certainly the most scholarly. As I've written elsewhere, one show featured an analysis, led by Tony Scott, of Charlie Parker's famous Night In Tunisia stop-time break - for the whole half hour! Try finding something like that on TV today.

There are also a couple of clips from the series used in the Lee Konitz video, "Live At The Village Vanguard." They feature Konitz and I think Warne Marsh with the house band (haven't watched it in a while).

Yes, you're right, Jazzshrink, it was a different time and frankly, a better one.

Has anyone heard this set with George Russell in K.C. that seems to be reissued?

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Swinging-In...6226&sr=1-1

Looks like a dodgy reissue . MSI Music ?? Six tracks - what about the two unissued tracks ?

I would love to see a legitimate reissue of this . Very good date , with excellent Decca sound quality too . Don Ellis shines .

Has anyone heard this set with George Russell in K.C. that seems to be reissued?

Looks like a dodgy reissue . MSI Music ?? Six tracks - what about the two unissued tracks ?

I would love to see a legitimate reissue of this . Very good date , with excellent Decca sound quality too . Don Ellis shines .

Had another listen to this one today . As much as I'm partial to early-period Ellis , it would be wrong to give the impression that he towers above the other soloists on this record . Everyone gives a good account of themselves on this recording . The record opens with a David Baker composition whose arresting , dramatic A section makes it the perfect opener . There follows a subtle , beguiling Carla Bley composition , the seamless hand offs between the short solos serving to emphasize that this music is about collective storytelling . A second Bley composition follows , one whose playful , West Indian-like melody gives way to less thematic blowing . The longest track on the album follows , a version of Brownie's Sandu . This " Blues In The Space Age " showcases Russell's blues playing , with his use of trills and dissonant clusters and his harmonic choices in general , making any Byard or Monk fan feel right at home . Next up is a version of Tune Up , which not atypically , becomes a Cherokee-style chops demo , especially Ellis' Harmon-muted solo .The last track on the album is a real headlong swinger by Russell featuring Dave Young's tenor . Young , who is fine throughout the date , uncoils one of the best solos on the whole record . Maddeningly , the track gets a fast fade out after three minutes , leaving the listener to imagine the solos Ellis , Baker and Russell might have taken with that much swinging momentum having been built up .

Had another listen to this one today . As much as I'm partial to early-period Ellis , it would be wrong to give the impression that he towers above the other soloists on this record . Everyone gives a good account of themselves on this recording . The record opens with a David Baker composition whose arresting , dramatic A section makes it the perfect opener . There follows a subtle , beguiling Carla Bley composition , the seamless hand offs between the short solos serving to emphasize that this music is about collective storytelling . A second Bley composition follows , one whose playful , West Indian-like melody gives way to less thematic blowing . The longest track on the album follows , a version of Brownie's Sandu . This " Blues In The Space Age " showcases Russell's blues playing , with his use of trills and dissonant clusters and his harmonic choices in general , making any Byard or Monk fan feel right at home . Next up is a version of Tune Up , which not atypically , becomes a Cherokee-style chops demo , especially Ellis' Harmon-muted solo .The last track on the album is a real headlong swinger by Russell featuring Dave Young's tenor . Young , who is fine throughout the date , uncoils one of the best solos on the whole record . Maddeningly , the track gets a fast fade out after three minutes , leaving the listener to imagine the solos Ellis , Baker and Russell might have taken with that much swinging momentum having been built up .

And it is one groovy cover on this album too:

33941.jpg