Bop Banjoists?????

BERIGAN

So I come across this cd on ebay of Harry Reser music(What?? You are not familiar with him??? ^_^ )And I go to allmusic to see what they think of the Yazoo cd, and the first lines of the review say.....When one thinks of pre-bop banjoists, it is of purely rhythmic players whose chordal solos differ little from what they play during ensembles. Harry Reser however was quite a bit different, an outstanding virtuoso who was arguably the finest banjoist of the 1920's.

So I give, there really were some bop banjoists??? Who?? What's it like????? Avant Garde Banjoists as well????

EDIT...I meant to say his Biography starts this way, not the review of the cd.... :winky:

Edited by BERIGAN

Well, the article only mentions pre-bop banjoists, and there were plenty of those down in New Orleans. You can still see one with most "Dixieland" revival bands.

But a bop banjoist? Hmmmmm.

I bet an avant-garde banjoist would be easier. In fact, I think I've seen one, or am I just thinking of the accordian player with Dave Douglas's group (well, one of his groups)? Must consult my notes....

I think it's probably just some really imprecise writing. He wrote "pre-bop banjoists" when he may have meant "pre-bop jazz" or "pre-bop guitar."

Funny you should post this, Berigan as I was just about to download the Harry Reser album from EMusic (they've got the whole Yazoo catalog available).

Once I do and give it a listen I'll post a report...

While I was cruising Comcast the other night, I came across something called "Jam Sessions" on the BET Jazz channel. The featured group that night included Bela Fleck and, among others, Pat Martino, Rick Braun and Gerald Veasley. I know that sounds tipped a bit towards the smooth jazz side of the equation, but it wasn't that at all. The format allows for the leader, in this case, Braun, to call the tunes and then everyone plays. I was absolutely knocked out by Fleck. Most of the material was straight ahead and he just played his butt off. I've never really listened to him at all, but after seeing this set, I don't think there's anything this guy can't do on the banjo. Really impressive.

Up over and out.

I remember that Chuck Wayne played banjo on a couple of mid-1960's albums he recorded for Focus and Prestige. I've never heard either, so I don't know how his playing sounded or even what style he played in. I'm sure that someone here has heard these and can comment further.

Chuck Wayne also played banjo on the Clifford Jordan Atlantic album 'These Are My Roots'. Will give this a fresh listen (and will also check the Focus and Prestige Chuck Wayne albums) and report on his banjo playing which I remember as pretty interesting.

The Focus date is a gem!

Chuck Wayne has two banjo features on the Focus album 'Tapestry'. He does a commendable job on 'Greensleeves' and 'On Green Dolphin Street' but the banjo bit sounds like a novelty bit. The guitar part is what makes the album a gem.

The notes (by Dom Cerulli) refers to Wayne's banjo playing on 'Greensleeves'. Cerulli writes:

'Wayne plays six-string banjo in the ensemble, giving the sound a funky air. His sound is pure bop. 'The banjo is pretty ridiculous' he notes 'but when you can play it like a guitar and get that funky sound, it's a different story'.

On the Prestige album 'Morning Mist', Wayne plays banjo on the last track only 'Lovely". He sounds more adventurous on that one.

On the Clifford Jordan 'These Are My Roots' Atlantic album, Wayne is heard on banjo in the ensemble playing of the opening track 'Dick's Holler' and he also has a short, exciting banjo solo on 'De Gray Goose'.

The Clifford Jordan album is also a rare opportunity to listen to the excellent trumpet playing of Roy Burrows. I caught Burrows when he played with the Duke Ellington band and with the Archie Shepp big band but I don't recall having heard him solo.

Burrows could really blow.