Tomasz Stanko - What Do You Guys Think About Him?

Guest bluenote82

Guest bluenote82

Tomasz_Stanko.jpg

Biography by Stacia Proefrock

Jazz trumpeter Tomasz Stanko began his tenure as a major force in European free jazz in the early '60s with the formation of the quartet Jazz Darins in 1962 with Adam Makowicz. From 1963 to 1967 he played with Krzysztof Komeda in a group that revolutionized European jazz and made an impact across the Atlantic as well. Stanko also put in time with Andrzej Trzaskowski in the mid-'60s before leading his own quintet from 1968 to 1973. The Tomasz Stanko Quintet, which included Muniak and Zbigniew Seifert, garnered considerable critical acclaim, especially for their tribute to Komeda entitled Music for K. The early '70s brought collaborations with a number of avant-garde and creative jazz artists, including the Globe Unity Orchestra, Michal Urbaniak, Cecil Taylor, and Gary Peacock. From 1974 to 1978, Stanko played in a quartet with Edward Vesala, then returned to performing as a leader and soloist. The '80s brought Stanko collaborations with Chico Freeman in Freeman's group Heavy Life, as well as work with James Spaulding, Jack DeJohnette, and Rufus Reid. He was also briefly part of Cecil Taylor's big band in 1984. Shortly afterward, he formed another ensemble, Freelectronic. The '90s brought an alliance with ECM, which issued some of Stanko's most acclaimed work, including another lush, gorgeous tribute to Komeda, 1997's Litania, which was heavy with that composer's film work. The follow-up on ECM, 2000's From the Green Hill, drew from many of the same emotional and historic sources as Komeda's work, but this time the compositions were Stanko's. In 2002, Stanko's contributions to European jazz were honored when he was issued the very first European Prize, which was intended to honor outstanding European jazz musicians. During the final round of voting from 21 critics from as many countries, Stanko won ten votes, narrowly topping the runner-up, Dutch piano player Misha Mengelberg. That same year Soul of Things was released on ECM, followed by Suspended Night in 2004, also on ECM. Too Pee appeared in 2006, as did Chameleon and Lontano.

Article taken from All Music Guide.

What do all you think about this master trumpeter? He's influenced my own music a great deal and I hope everyone has at least heard him once.

Guest bluenote82

I had "Soul of Things" awhile back and was left largely unimpressed. He reminded me of a mellower Miles and I ended up selling the disk. Maybe I'm being too rash with my assesment but I have no desire to rush out and buy anything else. Just my opinion.

Have you heard "Suspended Night"? That's a fantastic album. You should at least give him another try. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

I had "Soul of Things" awhile back and was left largely unimpressed. He reminded me of a mellower Miles and I ended up selling the disk. Maybe I'm being too rash with my assesment but I have no desire to rush out and buy anything else. Just my opinion.

Have you heard "Suspended Night"? That's a fantastic album. You should at least give him another try. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

I haven't but that's the thing...ok, I'll at least try some clips at CDnow. :rsmile:

Since you're new here, you'll get some recommendations to use the search function and add to existing threads, instead of trying to start from scratch.

Here are two existing threads with healthy discussion of Stanko:

Tomasz Stanko Thread #1

Tomasz Stanko Thread #2

It makes it easier when people are searching for existing threads to find information in one thread instead of 20, IMO. Therefore it doesn't make sense to start a new thread every time a new poster arrives on the scene and think he's creating a discussion that didn't exist before.

orgfordummiesum1.png

Edited by Aggie87

Guest bluenote82

I haven't but that's the thing...ok, I'll at least try some clips at CDnow. :rsmile:

Yeah, man, give that album a try. I really like that album, I think it's beautiful. His pianist (Marcin Wasilewski) is wonderful. He comes out of a Herbie Hancock/Bill Evans/Keith Jarrett influence.

Since you're new here, you'll get some recommendations to use the search function and add to existing threads, instead of trying to start from scratch.

Here are two existing threads with healthy discussion of Stanko:

Tomasz Stanko Thread #1

Tomasz Stanko Thread #2

It makes it easier when people are searching for existing threads to find information in one thread instead of 20, IMO. Therefore it doesn't make sense to start a new thread every time a new poster arrives on the scene and think he's creating a discussion that didn't exist before.

orgfordummiesum1.png

:tup:tup:tup

The somewhat earlier quartet with Stenson, Jormin & Oxley is much more exciting than the group with Wacilewski &c--I have The Soul of Things, like it a lot, but don't need any more of it than the one CD I think. -- Bosonossa & Other Ballads on Power Bros is great stuff, a lot spikier than the title would suggest & the rougher sound makes a nice change from the ECM ambience.

Guest bluenote82

I also dug his album "Wolnosc W Sierpniu," which was a commissioned work and really great. The only ECM album I don't have "Leosia." I really want this one, but it's pretty hard to find.

Tomasz Stanko - Wolnosc W Sierpniu

i19614eef61.jpg

Some more good ones:

C.O.C.X. (good luck finding this one)

Too Pee

Tales For A Girl

Music '81

Chameleon

From The Green Hill

A guarantee: This absolutely will not happen because this guy is ...

1. Too lazy.

2. Too self-observing.

3. Not really interested in a conversation with people, but mostly in having his own views commented upon. Postively or negatively, doesn't really matter.

Looking up threads on artists would take time, and besides by posting on earlier threads he would be merely joining a conversation rather than initiating one. Not the same buzz at all, eh?

Edited by kenny weir

Guest bluenote82

A guarantee: This absolutely will not happen because this guy is ...

1. Too lazy.

2. Too self-observing.

3. Not really interested in a conversation with people, but mostly in having his own views commented upon. Postively or negatively, doesn't really matter.

Looking up threads on artists would take time, and besides by posting on earlier threads he would be merely joining a conversation rather than initiating one. Not the same buzz at all, eh?

Yeah, I am pretty lazy, but aside from that, I resent all of those comments. :)

Kenny, I'm just a good ol' guy with hankering for Pop Tarts.

poptarts_small.jpg

Mmmmm...Pop Tarts......

Edited by bluenote82

Guest bluenote82

Today I'm full-bore on some Dutch cinamon cookies Bennie and me got when we were buying some sausages for din dins. God but I'm a sucker for that sweet/bitter coffee/cookie combo! :excited:

Hmmm...cinamon cookies...never tried any of those. They good, Kenny?

Yeah, man, give that album a try. I really like that album, I think it's beautiful. His pianist (Marcin Wasilewski) is wonderful. He comes out of a Herbie Hancock/Bill Evans/Keith Jarrett influence.

Current band has two Finns in it, Alexi Tuomarila (pno) and Olavi Louhivuori (drs), plus Anders Jormin on bass

Today I'm full-bore on some Dutch cinamon cookies Bennie and me got when we were buying some sausages for din dins. God but I'm a sucker for that sweet/bitter coffee/cookie combo! :excited:

Hmmm, yup, fully of sugar. And cinamon. Crunchy, too.

I loved Stanko for a while there, and even saw him at a festival a few years back. I doubt, though, he'd turn me on these days.

Guest bluenote82

Current band has two Finns in it, Alexi Tuomarila (pno) and Olavi Louhivuori (drs), plus Anders Jormin on bass

Hmmm...haven't heard those two Finnish musicians, but I'm quite familiar with Anders Jormin. I can't wait to hear this new group.

Guest bluenote82

Hmmm, yup, fully of sugar. And cinamon. Crunchy, too.

I loved Stanko for a while there, and even saw him at a festival a few years back. I doubt, though, he'd turn me on these days.

Well those cookies just sound delightful, have you ever tried the Keebler Fudge Shoppe Peanut Butter Filled Cookies....they are excellent.

Guest bluenote82

have you ever tried the Keebler Fudge Shoppe Peanut Butter Filled Cookies....they are excellent.

No doubt, but we don't see much by the way of American sweet stuff in Melbourne. Besides, we have such a strong Italian influence here, that if ya really want quality sweeties it's best to think biscotti and/or gelati.

Biscotti is very good with a cup of cappuccino with some vanilla creme on top. Thank goodness for late night coffee houses. :)

Edited by bluenote82

Guest bluenote82

Where are you originally from Kenny?

I'm originally from Lyons-la-ForĂȘt, France, but my parents moved to the States when I was a boy.

Edited by bluenote82