Egberto Gismonti.

7/4

Guest bluenote82

who?

Simply one of the greatest South American musicians. You never heard of him? Hmmm.....7/4 you should seriously check his work out. I would start with his album with Charlie Haden and Jan Garbarek. From there I would start exploring his own solo work like "Academia De Danças," "Sol Do Meio Dia," and "Sanfona."

Egberto_Gismonti.jpg

Edited by bluenote82

Guest bluenote82

Yeah, 7/4, I'll tell you man, you're going to like Gismonti. He's fantastic! He also plays piano and is a better pianist then he is a guitarist. His style is so distinctive. You're going to really like hiim.

Speaking of guitarists, have you ever checked out Steve Tibbetts? He's really awesome as well.

Fantastic player, though you have to tread carefully. I particularly like his folksier/Brazilian music - but he also performs music that veers towards contemporary classical (which I also like) and there are some older records that are rather prog-rocky (which I'm not so keen on).

I was drawn to him by his guitar playing; but he often records on just piano, which took me longer to enjoy.

This band record is a thrill from start to finish, lots of humour:

C3502g.jpg

Rather more serious but giving two sides of the player is this double:

E1203g.jpg

And along with seeline's suggestions I'd also suggest:

E1279g.jpgE1136g.jpgE1116g.jpg

Agreed on the recs, Bev - though for whatever reason, ECM seems to do a great job at recording Gismonti's guitar work and (I think) badly on his piano and keyboard playing.

I'm not so fond of his more experimental recordings (which were - mostly - done in Brazil, in the 70s), but some of his early stuff is quite lovely - Sonho 70, for instance.

Sonho_70-thumb.jpg

yes some of his fusion experiments from the 70s are amusing to listen to.

speaking of fusion, he is on cal tjader's "amazonas" playing keyboards along with dawili gonga duke. one song has a legitimate piano excursion of interest (CD bonus track).

i find the ECM stuff boring but the song "don quixote" off of duas voces is pretty haunting. it used to trip me out when i was in college.

actually the two albums (w. garbarek and haden) are surprisingly good considering my dislike of percussionless music and my dislike of charlie haden.

and sol do meo dia or whatever it is called is ok since you know what you are getting. a bit boring to me as the instrumentation can be sparse. but it had a use or two in my life.

I have Charlie Haden with Egberto Gismonti In Montreal. I'll give it a spin, I don't think I ever gave it more than one.

Gismonti is much more interesting than that disc would suggest. A nice enough record but I don't feel it even begins to touch the breadth of his music.

Played this one tonight, one of his more 'classical' recordings:

E1586g.jpg

Something of a potpourri of 20thC classical styles - I'm not sure it hangs together but I enjoyed it. Everything from Stravinsky to Copland to Ives in there somewhere.

Guest bluenote82

I would start with his album with Charlie Haden and Jan Garbarek.

Egberto_Gismonti.jpg

I'm gonna go put this one on now...; I think I've got it...

This is the one you mentioned in the Towner thread, right?

Yes it's called "Folk Songs." You'll enjoy it.

Phil Ken Sebben: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

[points to left eye]

Phil Ken Sebben: And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels... All those moments, lost in time... like... eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die...

[the duplicate Phil Ken Sebben is unceremoniously jammed into a woodchipper]