Blue Note Discography Book

Soul Stream

For me, this seemed like such a raging 'deal', that I didn't hesitate a moment before pulling the trigger. In my mind, the effort involved and the value provided easily justify the cost.

And, as much of a book lover as I am, I had to recognize the value of searchability.

Edited by BeBop

For me, this seemed like such a raging 'deal', that I didn't hesitate a moment before pulling the trigger. In my mind, the effort involved and the value provided easily justify the cost.

And, as much of a book lover as I am, I had to recognize the value of searchability.

I'm sure you are more well-versed than I am in the world of discography, and I underestimated the value of searchability--that definitely makes sense as a plus over a book.

The market for discographies is often pretty limited - even for a popular (within the jazz world) label like Blue Note. I can remember paying $30 and more, 30 years ago, for discographies of not-well-known musicians. And the current Lord Discography - granted, it's huge...though I won't opine on accuracy and completeness - is something like $150 per year!

Thanks for the clarification on the years of coverage. I'd glossed over the last sentence. It's all releases through 1999, but reissues through 2004. (One advantage to the Lord work is that it does get updated.)

And thanks for the discussion. I didn't intend to sound argumentative. But I was pretty excited. And now, I'm even more-so, with your clarification on five years of reissues.

As an aside, I am - like you, I'm guessing - delighted to find as much discographical information on the web as has been posted. Lots of labors of love there. Personally, I recognize that there may not be enough "love" to compile 60 or 65 years of Blue Note information to lead someone to offer this for free (copyright issues aside). So, sometimes I pay, and sometimes I'm thankful for the freebie.

As I have said before, a discography without composer credits is incomplete.

An example: Wallace Roney has recorded two pieces entitled 'Lost': one by Wayne Shorter, and one by Jacky Terrasson. Tom Lord might lead you to believe that he recorded the same piece twice. There are many other examples.

I can see why there may not be enough room in a book, but I'm sure the CD-ROM would have had plenty of space for composer credits. Mike Fitzgerald could have done this in his sleep. Problem cases (Jimerick?) could probably have been resolved with Alfred's session notes.

Bertrand.