Singer Robert Palmer dies

robviti

I just heard that singer Robert Palmer has died of a heart attack at age 54. I can't say that I've listened to anything he's done in a long time, but I think people that know him by songs like Addicted to Love and his work with overblown rock outfits like Power House are missing something special. I remember Palmer from his two excellent initial releases in the mid-70's: Sneaking Sally Through the Alley and Pressure Drop. Before anyone dismisses him altogether, I urge you to check out these two recordings.

Edited by jazzshrink

Guest youmustbe

I became a fan of his around 78.

CLUES is my favorite album, though I've had them all.

Used to take pics of him, tape his gigs.

He ran out of steam in late 80's, but he's one of few rockers I still listen to.

I know that Rolling Stone Mag called him The Fraud of Rock, because they thought he was dull and nerdy in real life and to look at in concert and his videos. He sounded hip but he wasn't.

It struck me that his was the Lester Young perspective - put everything you have into the music itself, not into the "look" of the performance.

I just heard that singer Robert Palmer has died of a heart attack at age 54. I can't say that I've listened to anything he's done in a long time, but I think people that know him by songs like Addicted to Love and his work with overblown rock outfits like Power House are missing something special. I remember Palmer from his two excellent initial releases in the mid-70's: Sneaking Sally Through the Alley and Pressure Drop. Before anyone dismisses him altogether, I urge you to check out these two recordings.

Yeah, I had to put on Sneaking Sally when I found out...Hey Julia is cranking right now!

RIP

but I think people that know him by songs like Addicted to Love and his work with overblown rock outfits like Power House are missing something special.

That's Power Station.

Yeah, his work in the 1980s was overblown, but that's how I like it. I always thought he was a smooth personality---not as nerdy as Rolling Stone thought.

And I loved his song "Every Kinda People" too.

RIP, Robert.

Edited by jmjk