ipod w/windows

JSngry

first of this is not jim, but his son. i just got an ipod today becuase i didnt want to have anything less than the best. well after installing everything i go and pulg the usb plug into the port only to get the messgae on all 3 ports, " usb port not regonised then high speed usb pulg inserted into non high speed port" out webcam works when pulged into every port so i dont know what the deal is. i get a "dont unplug" yet its not being noticed. i dont know what the deal is and i would greatly appericate any help becuase i just spent $300 and i dont think i can return it either, thank you.

Thanks for that advice, John. I'll tinker some today and see what happens.

As for Charlie, spelling is not his strong suit, but he's a good kid and a fine trumpet player (who is JUST now beginning to warm to jazz, so no other posts from him here...). I told him that if he wanted an answer waiting for him when he woke up in the morning to ask here before he went to bed, and gave him permission to speak for himself usung my account. I shoulda told him to type it in Word & do a spell check first. :g

Good advice for te faher as well as the son, no doubt... ;)

Hey Jim --

I didn't notice it in your son's post, though I could very well be overlooking it, but I think you have to have a Firewire card installed in your PC for the iPod to work with Windows. It won't work through the regular USB port. At least, my version didn't (purchased in January '03).

I love mine! It's only a 10G, though (only! :g) ... I've been trying to convince the missus of the need for the 40G ... no luck so far.

Glad you're still digging your iPod, Mike!

Charlie,

I would just spend 35 bucks and install a firewire/USB 2.0 card. Your PC probably does not have USB 2.0 hardware. The cable looks the same as regular USB, but you gots to have the hardware to runs the software.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?...o%2Cusb%2Ccombo

15-102-003-05.JPG

Uh-oh ... so USB 2.0 and Firewire are the same thing, Jim? I'm pretty much a doofus when it comes to that dang ol' teknawlogee.

In that case, couw, you were right on the money. My apologies for coming in and 'trampling' on your post.

Nevertheless, it's a pretty cool little gadget ... I would highly recommend trying it out if one is so inclined.

Thanks, Jim, for the push! :g It's very nice to be able to take 2000 songs on road trips without having to tote the CDs!

Mike,

Actually Firewire and USB 2.0 are 2 different things. The PCI card I suggested above does both, as do the 3rd generation iPods. The 2nd Gen iPods, like ours, are firewire only. Sorry if I was confusing! :wacko:

Oh, and if anyone needs a cheap ipod, you can always print this out and fold it together!

cheap_ipod.jpg