MLB 2008

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes that IS the marlins currently with the longest winning streak in baseball!!!

:excited:

Yeah. Nice. But, they've been beating up on San Diego, Milwaukee, Washington. Up next, Cincinnati and KC. Not too tough. (I know, I know. The Rays guy is all cocky now). Still, a win is a win is a win. ... Arizona should be a good series. I like the Marlins. Nice move locking up Ramirez. Starting pitching will be the key there, right?

Even a Rays sweep of the Yankees (wouldn't that be sweet) shouldn't put too much pressure on 'em.

My only consolation when the Rays take over first place is that the Yankees would have to be about the same distance behind.

Seriously, I fucking knew that their early inning futility with men on base, which was motherfucking pathetic, would bite them in the ass in the end. Then again:

If Lowell doesn't muff the ground ball, its a tie game

OR

If old man Timlin, who is cooked as cooked can be, doesn't serve up another home run to a hacker like Monroe, its a tie game (and if neither of those happen, they take the lead)

OR

if dumb ass Drew doesn't come to complete fucking stop in the middle of the baseline to give Nathan time to pick up the ball and nail him at third by 5 feet, its a completely different situation in the ninth.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with Drew? You are going on contact, particularly if you are half way down the fucking line. If you go on contact, and Nathan fields it cleanly, he can try to get the runner at home (you're safe at third, Coco at first) OR he can get you at third (run scores, runner at first) OR he can get Coco at first. Once he muffs it, if you run from the start, you are safe all around. One run game, runners at first at third, one out. You can still fucking steal the game, even with Manny's 0 for 6 with five Ks against Nathan.

:rmad:

And before anyone makes assumptions about the Yankees (or the month of May for that matter), let's take a look at the interleague schedules for June:

Tampa:

Florida twice, Cubs, Houston, Pittsburgh

That's one flukishly successful team, one contender, one piece of shit, one slightly less bad piece of shit

Boston:

Cincinnati, Philly, St. Louis, Arizona, Houston

That's the best team in the league, two contenders (one surprising), one piece of shit, one slightly less bad piece of shit

New York:

Mets twice, Houston, San Diego, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh

That's four pieces of shit of varying degrees, and another team that is grossly underperforming its roster talent

Unless the Yankees completely collapse, they will look a helluva lot better after this abominable interleague schedule is over.

And before anyone makes assumptions about the Yankees (or the month of May for that matter), let's take a look at the interleague schedules for June:

Tampa:

Florida twice, Cubs, Houston, Pittsburgh

That's one flukishly successful team, one contender, one piece of shit, one slightly less bad piece of shit

Boston:

Cincinnati, Philly, St. Louis, Arizona, Houston

That's the best team in the league, two contenders (one surprising), one piece of shit, one slightly less bad piece of shit

New York:

Mets twice, Houston, San Diego, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh

That's four pieces of shit of varying degrees, and another team that is grossly underperforming its roster talent

Unless the Yankees completely collapse, they will look a helluva lot better after this abominable interleague schedule is over.

Dan, not sure which is the shitty team, and which is the less shitty team between Houston and Pittsburgh, ^_^ but we are in a brave new world this year....Houston can hit, if nothing else..and are 21-17. And Pittsburgh (17-19)seems to be playing much better fundamental baseball these days, and I think they have already beaten the braves 4 out of 5 times this year. But, considering the Braves have the worst road record in baseball(Naturally the best home record as well) they will probably sweep the double header today.

Adam LaRoche has been useless as usual to start the season, when he starts to hit, they will at least have a chance to be a .500 team this year.

I imagine the Sox will make mincemeat of the Cards and Cincy(If they had any offense, they would be in the race) and probably Houston as well, since their pitching hasn't been too good...Oswalt has been their worst starter so far.

The Yankees do seem to have the easiest schedule, but didn't Pittsburgh give them fits last year??? At least they beat up on the Rocket, but then again, who didn't last year???

Sounds like you don't like interleague play much. I love it! I get really tired of seeing the same teams again and again....I really don't care about the Nationals lineup...it's just boring. And because of playing a one game series to open their new park, we have already played them 4 separate times! Enough!

We only play Oakland for one series this month...no other interleague play til June!

Edited by BERIGAN

I only have a problem with interleague play when the schedule is so uneven between division foes. We get Arizona while the Yankees get San Diego? Give me an f-ing break! It hardly matters what order you put any of those other varying-degrees-of-shitty teams - none of them have much of a chance against most AL teams, but the Yankees sure as hell get more of them this year. If we're lucky, they give the Yankees fits again this year, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

I hated interleague before because our so-called "natural" rivals, your team, usually played us very tough. Only recently did we start to beat them, so naturally we get a break this year and don't play Atlanta.

I should have noted that the replacement for the Braves on the Red Sox schedule is the Brew Crew. The best thing is we miss Ben Sheets, who is scheduled to pitch Thursday. Next best thing is the players and fans get to say hello to old friend Gabe Kapler. Most disappointing thing is that while we may get a chance to face Gagne, its unlikely to be with the game on the line since he was removed from the closer role. Won't make a difference though as I am quite certain he will get booed the way certain Yankees get booed.

Gagne did one smart thing while he was a Red Sox. He tried to protect himself against any lingering resentment by the fans by holding up this shirt during the Rolling Rally (it won't help him this weekend):

post-42-1210611813_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dan Gould

And in about an hour or two, you can say hello to the first place Tampa Bay Rays, too.

And after this fucking abomination, is there any question that Buchholz deserves to be sent down or sent to the 'pen? He was fucking atrocious all night long. And now, after Tavarez was DFA'd, Buchholz goes 4+ and they have to wear out the bullpen again, without their long "reliever".

I am frankly glad that Hansen was kept up because he looks to be a better option than Timlin, Aardsma or DelCarmen at this point. But it makes me wonder what they plan to do with Colon. He's only made one rehab start, of three innings. Are they going to keep him at Pawtucket til they've stretched him out with two more starts? Will he make one start and then be called up, with the intention of giving him a long relief appearance to finish his rehab? That would be fucking stupid. Its obvious to me though that either Buchholz or Lester, and Buchholz clearly deserves it, will become the long reliever when Colon goes into the rotation. But it makes absolutely no sense to go two more weeks without a long man in the 'pen.

Actually, I see that I was wrong: The Rays will be a game ahead in the loss column but the Sox will be two up in the win column, so we'll still be barely holding on to the lead.

I should also make it clear that I am giddy at the thought of the Yankees falling below .500 again, and extra giddy at the knowledge that Pettitte, who has to pitch effectively for them to have a chance this season, is looking every bit his 36 years, with an ERA up to 4.40. IIRC, last year it took some bad starts at the end of the season to get his ERA over 4.00. Surely the Yanks are in trouble if only Wang can pitch with any consistent success.

Actually, I see that I was wrong: The Rays will be a game ahead in the loss column but the Sox will be two up in the win column, so we'll still be barely holding on to the lead.

I should also make it clear that I am giddy at the thought of the Yankees falling below .500 again, and extra giddy at the knowledge that Pettitte, who has to pitch effectively for them to have a chance this season, is looking every bit his 36 years, with an ERA up to 4.40. IIRC, last year it took some bad starts at the end of the season to get his ERA over 4.00. Surely the Yanks are in trouble if only Wang can pitch with any consistent success.

Another beautiful game by the Rays tonight. Efficient and smart, mixing in a little small ball every now and then and being aggressive on the bases to manufacture runs when they had opportunities. Defense was solid, turning three double plays. But Yankee bats couldn't handle Garza's fastball for the most part.

I still can't help seeing the Yankees as an old, wounded animal. Comparing the Rays' outfielders to the Yankee outfield, the difference is plain as day. Crawford (now looking comfortable -- to say the least -- in left) and Upton run down fly balls routinely every night. And Upton has a gun. Damon can sometimes run 'em down, but can't throw for shit. And Abreu doesn't even try to run down fly balls. Not tonight, anyways.

Pettitte looked uncomfortable after a strong first inning. He and Molina struggled to stay on the same page. Never did get it worked out.

Even Pena finally got into the act, with a meaningless single late ... but still. And I'm coming around on Bartlett. The guy has really good range at shortstop and a good arm, and his bat is steadily improving.

It's Wong tomorrow vs. Jackson. ... :excited:

Caught snippets of the Red Sox game between innings. Buchholz was long gone by the time I started tuning in. They definitely look like they're scuffling a bit though. Fightin' it. They should get better against the O's in a hurry.

Edited by papsrus

Feds Charge Bonds With 14 Counts Of Perjury

SAN FRANCISCO -- Federal prosecutors Tuesday re-filed an indictment against former San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds, charging him with 14 counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice surrounding his testimony in the BALCO Steroid Case.

The new indictment broke down every individual statement prosecutors claim was falsely made during his days testifying before the grand jury, increasingly the number in the original perjury indictment from four to 14.

A June 6th hearing was scheduled at which time Bonds would be required to enter a plea.

U.S. District Judge Susan Illston had told prosecutors on Feb. 29 to fix their original indictment because it lumped multiple allegations into too few counts.

Illston said that prosecutors needed to drop some of the allegations from the indictment or add more charges.

Nine people connected to the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, or BALCO, have pleaded guilty or been convicted of drug charges or perjury, including track legend Marion Jones who admitted lying to investigators about using steroids.

Tammy Thomas, an elite cyclist, was convicted about three weeks ago of three counts perjury and one count of obstruction. She is scheduled to be sentenced July 18.

Bonds was indicted in November on four counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice, charges stemming from 2003 grand-jury testimony in which he denied knowingly taking illegal performance-enhancing drugs.

Bonds was let go by the San Francisco Giants. The 43-year-old outfielder remains a free agent and wants to play this year.

"I'm not going to retire. I don't think that's going to happen," he told MLB.com. "I'm working out. I'm training. If my phone rings, it rings. If it don't, it don't. I have a cell phone."

"I have a Blackberry. They work. If something comes up, I'm sure they'll let me know. I'll come back in July if I have to. It depends on the circumstances."

Well the Rays fucking deserve to be in first place considering that the fucking assholes once again fuck away a 3-0 lead, load the bases with no out and a two run deficit in the seventh and can't even score a fucking run, and earlier Drew has come out of the game with a sprained wrist and Youkilis was forced into right field when Crisp got sick to his stomach. Jesus Fucking Christ.

Edited by Dan Gould

I don't believe I'm typing this, but Paul Byrd!!! 7.1 IP, 0 ER, 7K, 0BB.

Cleveland starters have allowed a grand total of 1 run in their last 39 innings pitched. If only Betancourt wasn't trying to do his best Borowski imitation. Kobayashi gets his first save tonight.

Edited by Patrick

I don't believe I'm typing this, but Paul Byrd!!! 7.1 IP, 0 ER, 7K, 0BB.

Cleveland starters have allowed a grand total of 1 run in their last 39 innings pitched. If only Betancourt wasn't trying to do his best Borowski imitation. Kobayashi gets his first save tonight.

Don't you hate wondering which team it is you've got?

And now the Rays get a walk-off single off Rivera to take over first place (gee, do you think Girardi was desperate to win this game, sending out his closer for a second inning in a tie situation on the road? Even if Rivera had gotten them out in the 11th, they would have needed someone not named Chamberlain, Farnsworth or Rivera to close)

I should be fucking ecstatic the Yankees look so bad but Jesus Christ, I've got more important things to worry about. Five out of seven losses. Horrific "clutch" hitting. A stopper who couldn't complete six innings. A young stud whose ERA is now 5.5. And they face Daniel Cabrera tomorrow to avert a sweep, and Cabrera is coming off a complete game three hitter, and he's also forgotten how to walk people (three BBs in the last two starts). There's no one at AAA to replace Drew, if that turns out to be necessary, because Moss just had an appendectomy and Kielty has been injured too.

And the fucking Rays can't lose. Unless that changes, the Rays are going to have the same 3 + game lead by this time next week that we had before we went to Minnesota.

Edited by Dan Gould

And now the Rays get a walk-off single off Rivera to take over first place (gee, do you think Girardi was desperate to win this game, sending out his closer for a second inning in a tie situation on the road? Even if Rivera had gotten them out in the 11th, they would have needed someone not named Chamberlain, Farnsworth or Rivera to close) ...

Went up for the game tonight. Great win. Gomes comes up huge! Again! ... Percival blows another save though. Just one pitch that Matsui jumped all over, but still troublesome. ... I was thinking the same thing when they sent Rivera in. They were playing all or nothing in the 10th and 11th. Now I'm thinking a sweep is within reach. They should be sky high tomorrow with Shields on the bump.

Papsrus, glad you went to the game! You are clearly a real fan, now I hope more folks will show up. Honestly, I couldn't figure out how a team with so many good young players was not making strides in the standings year after year, but perhaps they are going to be like the Braves of 1991, a worst to first team!!!

Whatever happens this year, they have turned a corner, and thats the most important thing!