MLB 2008

Yes, another GREAT game tonight , Dan explain to me why they don't put someone on the DL., how bad is Ellsburys injury or Drews . They keep saying they have 2 guys on the bench(cash,lowrie) and didn't want to pinch run for Ortiz until he

reached second ?

JD s injury sounds the same as A-Rod ( maybe not as bad??) and now Coco s leg is hurting .....geeeez .

Maybe they should put Casey on the DL and bring someone up that can run.

All these guys are sitting on the bench and they cant play ?

Casey is on the DL - Moss came up to replace him, since he's been playing 1B at Pawtucket. As far as I know, Drew and Jacoby have pretty minor injuries (Jacoby probably moreso, I'm not 100% on how bad Drew may be). It seems like they are the kind of injuries where you don't want to disable anyone because they won't need the full 15 days, which puts you right between the two proverbial hard places.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the New York papers didn't have much detail but the Star-Ledger had one medical source predicting a month for A-Rod, and they also said there were "indications" that Hughes could miss six weeks, then be optioned to AAA. Its definitely not a "general suckiness" DL stint for Hughes, he felt the strain in his previous, rain-shortened start, didn't tell anyone, then felt it in his last inning of Tuesday's game. Girardi said he watched video of the game and spotted Hughes taking a deep breath and then wincing on the bench after he was yanked. One thing you can credit the Yankees with is keeping this under wraps until they were ready to make the announcement. I don't think the Red Sox would have attained such airtight secrecy.

On a side note, its interesting to see the NY tab columnists making note of how snippy Girardi is with the media, and how that contrasts poorly with Torre's mastery of the art of dealing with the jackals. Something I predicted would happen, due to his general snippiness with the kitten-like south Florida media. Might get much uglier if the Yankees do go into a bit of tailspin and then Hank starts shooting death-rays out of Tampa.

And remarkable string of starting performances since Saturday at Tampa for the Sox:

30 IP over four starts, .90 ERA, 32 strikeouts

Another Clemens girlfriend?

Clemens linked to Daly's ex-wife

"For Roger Clemens, the hits just keep on coming. Several sources told the Daily News Wednesday that Clemens had a relationship with Paulette Dean Daly, a former wife of champion golfer John Daly. The sources said Clemens, a married father of four, arranged trips to Anaheim Stadium for Daly -- the latest woman to emerge as an alleged Rocket flame -- to watch him pitch for the Yankees against the Angels. Sources also said he spent time with her in Palm Springs, Calif. She declined to elaborate on the nature of her relationship with the pitcher, but did not deny allegations from several sources that it was romantic and included financial support. Daly is still involved with the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic as an organizer of famously lavish parties there. News reports have described Clemens as being in attendance as recently as two years ago, dancing around the party with an 8-foot-long boa constrictor around his neck."

The definition of injustice is the fact that we live in a world where Avery Johnson can lead the Mavericks to four straight playoff appearances (including one appearance in the Finals), have the winningest record of any Mavericks coach, and still get fired; yet Ron Washington can be a consistent loser with a loser attitude ("Everything's just fine, folks!") who can't motivate his players to play above Little League level; and then to top it off, he leaves his best pitcher, Kevin Millwood who's pitching well with a huge lead, to pitch 114 pitches to allow KC to get back in the game, and everyone in Rangers (mis)management says that Wash is doing a heckuva job. :bad:

Un...fucking....believable. :rmad:

Edited by Big Al

Nice win for the Brewers today.

Trailing 3 -1 in the top of the ninth they scored 3 runs to win 4 -3.

Gagne shut down the Cubs in the bottom of the ninth for his 8th save.

I wouldn't call it a "nice" win, I'd call it lucky, stolen, were the beneficiaries of a horrid performance by the closer. Exciting works, too. But it ain't nice. Nice is 8 innings of excellent pitching, a few clutch hits, 3-1, over and done. That's what the Cubs had, until Wood gave it to you on silver platter:

1st pitch, hit batsman

second batter, double to left over Soriano's head, any other outfielder on the roster catches it for the first out.

unintentional walk

strikeout

line drive that just clears Fukodome's mitt, then clears the bases.

The last hit was the only well-hit ball. Not nice. Lucky.

... and now Phil Hughes on the DL ...

I think you're right. They could be in for a rough ride here. (Not that Hughes was doing anything, but still. ... another setback.)

Wow - Hughes with a strained oblique. Is that an accurate description or is this a "general suckiness" DL stint? Because Colon had his oblique strain April 6th, and now he is targeting a rehab start May 5th. Those obliques are tough to rehab and easy to reinjure, and there's a period of time of no throwing at all. If Hughes really has one, you could be looking at June when he is ready to start a rehab assignment/regain his form. It could be the end of June before Hughes pitches in the Bronx again.

And it gets worse for the Yankees:

Turns out Hughes has a stress fracture of a rib, out until July. That's what Wakefield had in 2006, he missed two full months, came back because of all the injuries, wasn't fully over it, and stunk up September. This is an injury that can definitely linger.

Tigers swept them at Yankee Stadium for the first time in 42 years, and they did it without Verlander on the mound for any game.

The slumbering bats don't get it any easier as Seattle comes to town with Bedard set for Friday, King Felix on Saturday, and then Hughes' replacement makes his 2008 debut on Sunday. I doubt that Rasner wll pitch to the sub-1.00 ERA he had at AAA. :g

It's going to be an interesting summer in the Bronx. ... Buster Olney is pinning his hopes on the fact that they had a worse record last April and managed to claw their way out of it. When Posada said they've already got seven first basemen, that spoke volumes.

Strange injury to B.J. Upton yesterday. Popped his shoulder out (officially a strain) swinging the bat. Did not look good but he's day to day. ... And the Rays are going to have to start thinking about moving Aki out of the leadoff spot. OBP of 296.

Shields v. Beckett on Saturday. Round Two!

And circle June 23, 24,25 -- Arizona at Boston.

It's going to be an interesting summer in the Bronx. ... Buster Olney is pinning his hopes on the fact that they had a worse record last April and managed to claw their way out of it.

The problem is, I don't think its rational to assume that their record now represents any sort of nadir. They'll be hard-pressed not to slide backwards in the coming month, and there's still no word on Posada.

Shields v. Beckett on Saturday. Round Two!

Its generally agreed that pitchers who face the same lineup in back to back starts are at a disadvantage, and that was shown recently when Buchholz and Wang had strong starts at Fenway then got clobbered at the stadium five days later. Mussina stunk in both starts while Beckett was strong. I'd bet on Beckett doing the same, and the Red Sox doing better except for the fact that the offense is in a teamwide funk. I just hope the home cooking and fans help them out in this first place showdown weekend. :)

All I can say about that is that I hope we are clicking on all cylinders by then so that we don't embarrass ourselves. The D-Backs, by run differential, are at least as dominant as the Sox were last year.

I wouldn't call it a "nice" win, I'd call it lucky, stolen, were the beneficiaries of a horrid performance by the closer. Exciting works, too. But it ain't nice. Nice is 8 innings of excellent pitching, a few clutch hits, 3-1, over and done. That's what the Cubs had, until Wood gave it to you on silver platter:

1st pitch, hit batsman

second batter, double to left over Soriano's head, any other outfielder on the roster catches it for the first out.

unintentional walk

strikeout

If you're a Brewers fan, it's still nice!

Getting rid of Soriano was one of the smartest things the Rangers ever did. Unfortunately, he was picked up by my other favorite team.

Kerry Wood has to be one of the saddest stories in baseball, and a case-lesson for any kid thinking they can go straight to the majors out of college. He should've been one of the game's greatest pitchers, but either he or his handlers didn't give him the time to properly develop. Now he's floundering as the Cubs closer. It didn't have to be this way.

Edited by Big Al

All I can say about that is that I hope we are clicking on all cylinders by then so that we don't embarrass ourselves. The D-Backs, by run differential, are at least as dominant as the Sox were last year.

That is probably your World Series preview right there. The D-Backs are monsters this year. You got the 1-2 punch of Haren and Webb and their lineup is scary with Upton, Young and Hudson. If they need punch off the bench they can go to their starting pitcher Owens to hit a pitch hit home run like the other day. Its too early to give a title to somebody in May but they have that look about them, I had that same feeling about them that I had in early 05 with the Wt. Sox.

The Halo's - A's series was nuts. The A's get 14 and 15 runs in two games and then 1 run in the other two to split. Jack Cust drops a routine little league pop up that led to 5 runs and then comes back with a HR/4 hits and two walks. I can't figure them out yet but its been fun.

Edited by WorldB3

That is probably your World Series preview right there. The D-Backs are monsters this year. You got the 1-2 punch of Haren and Webb and their lineup is scary with Upton, Young and Hudson. If they need punch off the bench they can go to their starting pitcher Owens to hit a pitch hit home run like the other day. Its too early to give a title to somebody in May but they have that look about them, I had that same feeling about them that I had in early 05 with the Wt. Sox.

Could you imagine if Owens is the DH at Fenway? :unsure:

1st pitch, hit batsman

unintentional walk

strikeout

Occasionally you have to be "lucky" to be good.

So!

When does Eric Gag-me get taken to task for his steroid induced Cy Young and 72 saves? Hm?

Jason Schmidt was robbed of his rightful Cy Young by a juiced-up Cannuck.

I will believe the MLB's IRS investigator is serious about steroids right after the day Gag-me has an asterisk by his record.

Edited by GoodSpeak

So!

When does Eric Gag-me get taken to task for his steroid induced Cy Young and 72 saves? Hm?

I will believe the MLB's IRS investigator is serious about steroids right after the day Gag-me has an asterisk by his record.

How silly can you be?

The man in charge of investigating BALCO and now Clemens has nothing to do with the imposition of any asterisk on any baseball record. If you have a problem with Gagne, then petition the Commissioner to do something. Unfortunately that would result in the wiping out of your hero's record, so I suspect you doth protest too much.

So!

How silly can you be?

The man in charge of investigating BALCO and now Clemens has nothing to do with the imposition of any asterisk on any baseball record. If you have a problem with Gagne, then petition the Commissioner to do something. Unfortunately that would result in the wiping out of your hero's record, so I suspect you doth protest too much.

Not at all, Dan.

If justice is what you are seemingly all about, why do you discount Gag-me's steroid use yet pound on Clemens or Bonds?

Seems to me if the intention was pure, you'd be interested in damning all steroid users in the MLB.

If justice is what you are seemingly all about, why do you discount Gag-me's steroid use yet pound on Clemens or Bonds?

Seems to me if the intention was pure, you'd be interested in damning all steroid users in the MLB.

Gagne was named in the Mitchell report and there was a FedEx receipt for a package sent by Radomski to Dodger Stadium c/o Eric Gagne. Gagne reacted by issuing a typical "non-apology apology".

He has not committed perjury.

He has not launched a foolish and now disastrous lawsuit to "save" his reputation and destroy the individual who went state's witness on him.

If baseball wants to remove him from the record book, that's fine by me, I'd love to see it. But baseball is making no attempt to remove Bonds from the record book, so this is a completely false issue you are raising. Furthermore, let's not pretend that you have no ulterior motive here. You hate Gagne with a passion because he was the premier closer in the majors and did it for the hated Dodgers. You wouldn't give a rat's ass about him if he were Eric Gagne, All-Star steroided-up cannuck closer for the Toronto Blue Jays.

I'll admit that I just can't get worked up about steroids anymore. Some unknown number of players used steroids or other performance-enhancing substances in an unregulated way to further their careers and fatten their paychecks. They cheated. Some got caught. Some didn't.

I think I've posed this question before: Are there not legitimate medical uses for substances such as HGH and steroids? Do they not aid in the treatment of certain injuries or conditions? And if so, should baseball allow their limited use under the supervision of doctors?

Assuming for the sake of argument that Andy Pettitte used steroids to aid in the healing of an injury, is this different than using steroids to simply bulk up? (In the end it's not different because he wasn't under the supervision of a doctor, but ...)

It seems to me that we're seeing a lot of injuries early in the season this year. Maybe I'm just more aware of it this year than in previous years, but if there is an increase, I wonder if there's any connection between this increase in injuries and the presumed diminished use of steroids and other banned substances by players.

Edited by papsrus

Nice win by the Red Sox last night. They got some big momentum going in the fourth and Jackson couldn't handle them. Considering where he was last season, I'm not too worried though. He hung in there and and it wasn't like he was throwing horribly. Crawford -- again -- botched another play in left (although it was Fenway, so ...). I'm looking forward to today's matchup. We'll see if Shields can put together back-to-back standout performances.

Mussina vs. Hernandez tonight also.

Nice win by the Red Sox last night. They got some big momentum going in the fourth and Jackson couldn't handle them. Considering where he was last season, I'm not too worried though. He hung in there and and it wasn't like he was throwing horribly. Crawford -- again -- botched another play in left (although it was Fenway, so ...). I'm looking forward to today's matchup. We'll see if Shields can put together back-to-back standout performances.

Mussina vs. Hernandez tonight also.

I think Mussina vs Hernandez is a day game, which sucks because the Fox nationwide blackout covers all games starting before 7:05 pm. So I'll be able to watch the Sox but not the Yankees.

I'm very impressed with Jackson and was glad to see the bats come somewhat alive, especially since they did it with two outs, so everyone had to contribute to keep it going. Buchholz wasn't nearly as dominating as last time either, and I also thought that the ump had a screwed up strike zone that fortunately Clay had an easier time throwing to. But what is so impressive about the kid is the way he can throw his changeup to get swings and misses, the curve ball is cartoon-like, and it all sets up a more than decent fastball that seems to have "late life". The kid is the real deal, looks ten times better than either Yankee youngster.

And yes, that was a "nice" win. ;)

Not lucky, no imploding closer handed it to them, it was a nice performance all around: Clutch pitching early to work out of self-made jams, timely hitting and good pitching at the end.

I think Mussina vs Hernandez is a day game, which sucks because the Fox nationwide blackout covers all games starting before 7:05 pm. So I'll be able to watch the Sox but not the Yankees.

A good argument for getting the MLB package from DTV, which I plan to do as soon as my move is done with. :excited:

Gagne was named in the Mitchell report and there was a FedEx receipt for a package sent by Radomski to Dodger Stadium c/o Eric Gagne. Gagne reacted by issuing a typical "non-apology apology".

He has not committed perjury.

He has not launched a foolish and now disastrous lawsuit to "save" his reputation and destroy the individual who went state's witness on him.

If baseball wants to remove him from the record book, that's fine by me, I'd love to see it. But baseball is making no attempt to remove Bonds from the record book, so this is a completely false issue you are raising. Furthermore, let's not pretend that you have no ulterior motive here. You hate Gagne with a passion because he was the premier closer in the majors and did it for the hated Dodgers. You wouldn't give a rat's ass about him if he were Eric Gagne, All-Star steroided-up cannuck closer for the Toronto Blue Jays.

OK....I'll cop to that. Gag-me is a colossal a-hole and I did not like his behavior on the field when he was with the Dodgers. This is true.

But the bottom line is he holds a phenomenal record and he was voted to the Cy Young with a losing record. Jason Schmidt can't get saves and was in a 4-5 man rotation which means he touches the ball way more often than Gag-me did. The steroids got Gag-me that record and influenced people to vote for him. Schmidt had a great season and came by it honestly, but he was denied.

Yet if Clemen's and Bonds are to have their name besmirched in the HOF, then so too must Gag-me. Assuming, of course, there is enough proof to do that.

Nationality or current team status notwithstanding.

Edited by GoodSpeak