MLB 2008

My theoroy is either the hitting isn't as good in the AL West as it is in the NL West or Zito is a head case.

What a tragedy on two legs this guy is.

You have got to be kidding me. The NL West has been an offensive wasteland for years, not least because Petco, Dodger Stadium and Pac Bell all are strong pitcher's parks, and the humidor in the Rockies has brought that stadium back to earth, too.

Zito is no head case and the AL West, with DH's and smaller parks, for Christ sake, is not weak offensively.

Zito has been declining since his Cy Young season, and everyone knew that except your GM. Why do you think it so long to get him signed? You had no competition but you couldn't stand up to Scott Boras and he snow jobbed you into a record breaking contract for a league average pitcher.

From reports I heard it wasn't the GM that wanted Zito but the owner. Last year the Giants went after the 3 big name free agent position players and couldn't get them to sign with the Giants. Season ticket holders were pissed off because it was Bonds last year and they were hosting the all star game and prices went up, they felt the Giants weren't doing enough and sticking to them with a rebuilding project because they were getting attendance anyways by hosting the all star game, McGowan caved into the the fans and Boras. I don't think any GM in his right mind would want 40% of his payroll going on one pitcher.

It was short term marketing thinking instead of what was best for the club long term. Two years ago they should have been rebuilding but they were wrong in thinking that as long as they had Bonds they had a chance.

Its not so bad, I saw that that Lincicum kid last night, man he is awesome!

Not really sure what the A's are doing with the Big Hurt but they keep winning so I will be quiet for now.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My theoroy is either the hitting isn't as good in the AL West as it is in the NL West or Zito is a head case.

What a tragedy on two legs this guy is.

You have got to be kidding me. The NL West has been an offensive wasteland for years, not least because Petco, Dodger Stadium and Pac Bell all are strong pitcher's parks, and the humidor in the Rockies has brought that stadium back to earth, too.

Zito is no head case and the AL West, with DH's and smaller parks, for Christ sake, is not weak offensively.

Zito has been declining since his Cy Young season, and everyone knew that except your GM. Why do you think it so long to get him signed? You had no competition but you couldn't stand up to Scott Boras and he snow jobbed you into a record breaking contract for a league average pitcher.

You may be right, Dan.

But c'mon even a declining pitcher can win a game or two now and again, don't you think?

He's a head case.

Dan, what did you think of Mastersons debut ?...pretty impressive . He reminds me of a Derek Lowe type

BUT with more movement on his pitches.

They keep talking about whether he is a reliever or starter ...but judging by yesterday he is a starter!

They did say he will be called up late in the year to work out of the bullpen.

I don't at all believe he should be a reliever. In a single start, he showed more consistently effective pitches than Jon Lester has in 2+ years. He instantly goes just behind, or possibly even with, Clay Buchholz in terms of potential starting stardom. Maybe he needs to work on his secondary pitches, I hear that his slider and change need it, but I agree with the D-Lowe comparison except that I think he could be a more effective starter for a longer period of time. I don't have a problem if he is called on to help out the bullpen this year (which is already a major disappointment so far) but his future is as a starter. I'd also like to see Craig Hansen get the call - he looked 100% better than he ever has before, even though he was the losing pitcher on Wednesday. But I'm frankly worried that MDC, Lopez and Timlin are all losing it. And I've supported MDC a lot more than you have!

But I'd love to see Masterson live up to the nickname he's gotten - 6 and a half feet tall --> call him MONSTER-son. :g

You may be right, Dan.

But c'mon even a declining pitcher can win a game or two now and again, don't you think?

He's a head case.

You gotta stop thinking in terms of wins and losses and look at those peripheral stats - speed on the fastball, strikeout rates, walk rates, runners allowed to reach base. Sure he's going to win one or two now and again - but wins aren't the best measure of a pitcher anyway because too many things come into play that a pitcher can't control.

Its like we said about Cain and Lineceum - with that offense, they could go 5-17 with an ERA under 3. It stands to reason that a mediocre pitcher could do the same thing but have an ERA of 5.

You may be right, Dan.

He's a head case.

You gotta stop thinking in terms of wins and losses and look at those peripheral stats - speed on the fastball, strikeout rates, walk rates, runners allowed to reach base. Sure he's going to win one or two now and again - but wins aren't the best measure of a pitcher anyway because too many things come into play that a pitcher can't control.

Its like we said about Cain and Lineceum - with that offense, they could go 5-17 with an ERA under 3. It stands to reason that a mediocre pitcher could do the same thing but have an ERA of 5.

I agree....wins are not the only measure of a good [or bad] pitcher.

However, Cain couldn't win a game if his very life depended on it.

Lincecum was the winningest pitcher on the Giants' staff last season and with the same crappy hitting we have this year. So it is possible to win and without the best of hitters.

Pretty thrilling win over the BoSox last night, and with the Yankees loss (yes!) the Rays are suddenly sitting in third, 2 games out of first. Man I like this offense. Fun to watch. ... Who the heck is Nathan Haynes? (game-winning RBI in 11th).

It's Buchholz vs. Edwin Jackson tonight.

Pretty thrilling win over the BoSox last night, and with the Yankees loss (yes!) the Rays are suddenly sitting in third, 2 games out of first. Man I like this offense. Fun to watch. ... Who the heck is Nathan Haynes? (game-winning RBI in 11th).

It's Buchholz vs. Edwin Jackson tonight.

You may like the offense but your defense won the game. Any of those line drives get down, its a completely different game.

And I guess its a different Rays team because of the bullpen - last year it would have blown the game up.

:rmad:

Hey Cleveland fans - nice win at the Jake, especially the way the umpires had it in for you. I was sure the Yanks were going to take it after that pathetic call at second base, but then Kobyashi got Jeter to hit into the double play with the go ahead run at third. I didn't listen to the broadcast much but I assume that Joba is still hurt, and that surely helped in the end.

Tomorrow should be great with Wang facing C.C. and then you get to remind Mussina that he's 39 and barely doubles his age on the radar gun. Sweep! Sweep! SWEEEP!!!! :g

Well that was the most motherfucking infuriating loss I've ever seen in my fucking life.

And with Beckett going tomorrow, I hope Iwamura doesn't dig in too much. He's going to get dusted at least once for flipping the bat like he's fucking Babe Ruth.

Hey Cleveland fans - nice win at the Jake, especially the way the umpires had it in for you. I was sure the Yanks were going to take it after that pathetic call at second base, but then Kobyashi got Jeter to hit into the double play with the go ahead run at third. I didn't listen to the broadcast much but I assume that Joba is still hurt, and that surely helped in the end.

Tomorrow should be great with Wang facing C.C. and then you get to remind Mussina that he's 39 and barely doubles his age on the radar gun. Sweep! Sweep! SWEEEP!!!! :g

Yes. Five in a row and in second place behind Chisox. Byrd served up three gophers but survived last night. Sowers pitched well this afternoon--Jensen Lewis couldn't survive the seventh. And why weren't the Indians running at will against Jorge today? Sizemore got gunned down, after staying attached to first for two outs. Oy. NY fortunate to avoid the dominant AL starter Cliff Lee!!! Victor Martinez as steady as ever. Offense otherwise not really clicking. Dellucci/Michaels in left remains brutal. Starting pitching (besides CC until his most recent start) has been solid. JoeBo and Westbrook to miss a month each. Hopefully Laffey will follow Sowers with another solid start. Nice to have 7 major league starters.

Hopefully CC will repeat his most recent performance, and not the rest of 2008 (or 2007 postseason) against Wang.

Well that was the most motherfucking infuriating loss I've ever seen in my fucking life.

And with Beckett going tomorrow, I hope Iwamura doesn't dig in too much. He's going to get dusted at least once for flipping the bat like he's fucking Babe Ruth.

And let me just add that the game should have been tied since Navarro by all rights should have been rung up on the pitch prior to his single. That pitch wasn't even fucking borderline, it was without a doubt strike three.

Ten out of eleven and then four fucking losses, and if Baltimore sweeps their doubleheader, percentage points out of first. And how sad for Buchholz who was as dominating as he had been during his no-hitter, and because the offense is completely asleep, he has no margin for error. Fuck it all to hell.

I figured that Aki gettin' cocky would flip the switch. ... :ph34r:

Have to say I was lovin' it though Dan. We stole that one! But I'll take it.

Oh, and I want to be on the record saying the Devil Rays will finish 3rd this year!!!

Just tooting my own horn(Say, that's kinda fun! :winky: ) Rays in 3rd, one game out and it's already....already....the 27th of April...oh well...still has to be their best start to a season, right????

Seems like a lot of teams in both leagues are improved this year....a team with 85-88 wins may win most divisions...we shall see.

Oh, and I want to be on the record saying the Devil Rays will finish 3rd this year!!!

Just tooting my own horn(Say, that's kinda fun! :winky: ) Rays in 3rd, one game out and it's already....already....the 27th of April...oh well...still has to be their best start to a season, right????

Seems like a lot of teams in both leagues are improved this year....a team with 85-88 wins may win most divisions...we shall see.

Third! ... heck, we're gunnin' for first place now! :excited:

The Rays are a fun team to watch. A completely different animal this year (so far). Just better in every facet -- starting pitching (and Kazmir's return will only solidify that), bullpen (key), offensively they're showing good patience at the plate and are aggressive on the bases. The defense still has a couple of holes, but they fly around and make enough plays to hang in there. Longoria is a joy to watch. Upton has a lot of speed and a gun in CF. They're young and they're starting to get some breaks! ... Even had a full house last night (sure, half the crowd was wearing red, it's still all good). ... This game's kinda fun!

Who is this motherfucking umpire in Tampa? Fucking pitches that trail directly over the chalk of the opposite batter's box being called strikes is fucking outrageous. Is this fucking Eric Gregg's ghost? As if this fucking pitcher needs the help anyway.

It probably doesn't matter in the end but it sure as hell is fucking infuriating. Not nearly as infuriating as being swept out of Tampa in the most horrific, monstrous embarrassment I've ever witnessed. Yes, it equals the last "Boston Massacre".

Who is this motherfucking umpire in Tampa? Fucking pitches that trail directly over the chalk of the opposite batter's box being called strikes is fucking outrageous. Is this fucking Eric Gregg's ghost? As if this fucking pitcher needs the help anyway.

It probably doesn't matter in the end but it sure as hell is fucking infuriating. Not nearly as infuriating as being swept out of Tampa in the most horrific, monstrous embarrassment I've ever witnessed. Yes, it equals the last "Boston Massacre".

Damn. ... I have to say the strike zone was a little inconsistent, but, you know, they both worked with the same guy behind the plate. From where I sit, Shields went toe-to-toe with probably the best pitcher in the game and came up with a gem -- 2 hits, 7 K's. Beckett threw two bad pitches -- a breaking ball to Longoria that went over the left field wall (after striking him out on the same pitch the previous at bat -- I'm lovin' this kid!) and a breaking ball to first base that sent Bartlett off to the races.

Bonus: the O's are trailing at Chicago, and here we come baby!

Report: Clemens had relationship with Mindy McCready

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080428/ap_on_...dFnW54AeVX34494

Roger Clemens had a decade-long relationship with country star Mindy McCready that began when she was a 15-year-old aspiring singer and the pitcher was a Boston Red Sox ace, the Daily News reported.

Clemens' lawyer, Rusty Hardin, confirmed a long-term relationship but told the newspaper it was not sexual.

"He flatly denies having had any kind of an inappropriate relationship with her," Hardin said. "He's considered her a close family friend. ... He has never had a sexual relationship with her."

McCready's lawyer, Lee Ofman, said he did not have any comment on the Daily News story.

Clemens was 28 and a married father of two when he first met McCready, the newspaper reported.

The story, which appeared on the newspaper's Web site Sunday night and in editions Monday, quoted several people who asked not to be identified because of the sensitivity of the situation.

The revelation could undermine Clemens' reputation, which is central to the defamation suit the former pitcher has filed against former personal trainer Brian McNamee. McNamee contends Clemens used performance-enhancing substances during his major league career.

"If true, it's just another example of Roger's pervasive prevarications which will be at the core of any defamation case," said McNamee's attorney, Richard Emery, in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

The newspaper said Clemens sent cash to McCready to help her with legal issues and reached out to her when she was in jail last year in Tennessee.

The 32-year-old McCready was sentenced last September for violating probation from a 2004 drug arrest and was released from jail last Dec. 30. The violation occurred in July when McCready was accused of scuffling with her mother and resisting arrest at her mother's home in Fort Myers, Fla. She still must serve two years' probation.

McCready had a No. 1 single in 1996 with "Guys Do It All the Time."

Hardin did not respond immediately to an e-mail from the AP.

So its ok that Manny stands at home plate for 25 minutes to admire each of his home runs?

I am sure the league sends out notices that pitchers will get tossed if they come near him since he is a super star on a big market team.

Or how about Derek Lowe at the end of the ALDS yelling suck me and grabbing his unit at the end of the game. Sure its ok when its your team.

Props to the Rays for sweeping a team that paid more to just interview Dice K then the Ray's entire team salary. Its nice little story so far.

Edited by WorldB3