MLB 2008

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if you read Joe Posnanksi's blog (which is simply the best sports blog in the world) but he recently posted a piece about Stan Musial.

No, I'll check it out, thanks. :tup

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/

Check out the piece about Tiger at the US Open, and the Musial piece. Poz is a great writer.

I always saw the Brett meltdown as a bit of staged theater, (is it obvious?) much like a Piniella tantrum. A little too over the top (a lot over the top, actually) to be taken seriously.

I don't understand that belief at all. The man had just hit a clutch home run in the ninth inning, with two outs, on the road, against the best closer in the game, and on a ridiculous technicality, had been called out and his team went from being ahead to being the losing team.

I don't think any reaction could qualify as "over the top" in that situation. I think that situation might have seen the same reaction from Manny Being Manny, which would be as far from "over the top staged theater" as you can get. I see nothing but an expression of total rage and frustration and disbelief. Absolutely nothing theatrical or over the top or Piniella-like whatsoever.

I don't know ... he came flying out of that dugout as if someone had just shot his dog or something. I guess I just tend to take the antics of these athletes with a grain of salt. His rage may have been sincere, but if that's the case, I'm not sure I'd want to be around the guy when something happened that was really worth getting pissed about.

To a highly competitive athlete, having just for all intents and purposes won a game against the Yankees at Yankee Stadium over the best closer in the game, that was completely worth getting pissed about.

You might have seen a more mellow reaction from, say, JD Drew, but I'm pretty sure that Brett was as driven by winning as any player of his era.

I don't know if you read Joe Posnanksi's blog (which is simply the best sports blog in the world) but he recently posted a piece about Stan Musial. Musial was one guy who probably would have taken it in stride. As the story goes, late in a game against the Dodgers, Musial hit a home run to take the lead which was waved off by an umpire who had called time because a ball had rolled on the field. Musial's manager and someone else came out to argue so vociferously they both got tossed, one after the other. Musial never said a thing. When everyone calmed down, he said to the ump, "It didn't count? Well there's nothing you can do" and proceeded to hit a bases clearing double on the next pitch.

Actually, the real story isn't quite as dramatic (Poz did some investigating on his own to find the truth) but the gist of it is true.

Funny, I had a co-worker say yesterday (in all seriousness) that he thought the Yankees should have been fined or somehow penalized for creating the whole incident in the first place. ... Might be a little Yankee-hating going on there. :w

In reality, Martin deserves a lot of credit. They had noticed that Brett used too much pine tar but they waited for the exact right moment to use it against him. And it worked - til the AL President did the right thing the next day.

I recall an interview with Brett when the Yanks were playing K.C. - last season or earlier this season - where he said that he just lost it and now feels embarrassed by by his reaction to being called out.

I always saw the Brett meltdown as a bit of staged theater, (is it obvious?) much like a Piniella tantrum. A little too over the top (a lot over the top, actually) to be taken seriously. Brett was a great player, but this has become his most memorable moment, for many. I wonder how he feels about that?

Brett was interviewed around that time, and somebody on the bench has asked him, "What are you gonna do if they call you out?" His response was, "I'm going to gonna go out and kick their ass!"

The only thing that suggests staged was that he didn't actually punch out somebody, which I see as a positive -- other than that, I agree with Dan's response.

Also, regarding the role of the evil empire and Billy the good Yankee, did anybody happen to catch Gammons' (whom I don't care for, btw) comments on the ESPN broadcast about the PTI (pine tar incident)? He called around and got... damnit, I don't have the name right now, hated cheapskate owner... argh... this is going to make me nuts... anyway, just to find how what the point of the rule had been in the first place. The guy had been on the rules committee that created that rule and stated that it was created because players were using too much pine tar and teams didn't want to incur that expense. That sort of speaks to Brett's comment at the time about being a lifetime .320 hitter (seems high, but that's the number he used) and not needing the 'help' of extra pine tar.

Billy was a great strategist (I believe it was the same year that he told Willie Randolph, with a 3-2 count, to dive out of the way as though the ball were at his head, no matter where it was. He did, on a pitch down Broadway, and drew the walk. I'll bet Billy manages a great team in hell. devil-smiley-041.gif

Edited by Thom Keith

I always saw the Brett meltdown as a bit of staged theater, (is it obvious?) much like a Piniella tantrum. A little too over the top (a lot over the top, actually) to be taken seriously. Brett was a great player, but this has become his most memorable moment, for many. I wonder how he feels about that?

Beats being remembered for hemorrhoids. ;) And until somebody hits .400 his run is still remembered by many fans.

I'm with Dan. I've never doubted his reaction was real.

Two bits of news, one good, one freaking AWESOME:

Manny is back in the lineup playing LF after missing Wednesday's game with a "sore knee"

Ellsbury has been dropped to ninth, with Pedroia moved up to first and Youk second. This is exactly what I wanted to see with Ellsbury slumping so badly. Papi back, and the two guys in front of him have OBPs of .365 and .381 and OPS of .826 and .932.

Until Ellsbury starts hitting again, this is the lineup they need. With Drew dropped down to six, and Lowrie behind him, really only Tek and Ellsbury are weak links. And Ellsbury can still get on via bunt; Tek has shown to tiny signs that he might start hitting again.

Ideally by September, Ellsbury is hitting and getting on base, and the big boppers go all the way down to Youk or Drew batting seventh. That's a lineup no one will want to face in the playoffs.

(and if you're wondering about Papi in the lineup, I'm not counting that as big news because it was already a given. :)

I'm also glad to see them back off the Cora trade. I like AC a lot -- does the little things. On paper, it's got a lot of upside for Boston, but paper be damned -- I keep Cora.

Now... can we pry Atlanta's cold, dead hands off of Gonzalez to help our pen?

Jesus Christ, now Manny is scratched, right after they option Moss to Pawtucket. I guess now its Crisp at the bottom of the lineup, and it don't look nearly as dangerous. Fuck!

Motherfuck Manny! If that MRI doesn't come back with something major, DROP HIS ASS NOW!!!!!

Jesus Christ, now Manny is scratched, right after they option Moss to Pawtucket. I guess now its Crisp at the bottom of the lineup, and it don't look nearly as dangerous. Fuck!

Motherfuck Manny! If that MRI doesn't come back with something major, DROP HIS ASS NOW!!!!!

I don't think that's an option unless you are willing to give up the farm for Teixeira (and risk him leaving) or that dude from Colorado who barely hits outside of Coors.

THAT WAS THE WORST, MOST INCOMPETENT DISPLAY OF HOME PLATE UMPIRING I HAVE SEEN SINCE ERIC "I'M A FAT MOTHERFUCKING ASSHOLE WHO CALLS STRIKES A FOOT OFF THE PLATE" GREGG.

IN FACT, IT WAS THE SAME FUCKING STRIKE ZONE. HE RUNG UP ELLSBURY ON A PITCH THAT TRAVELED DIRECTLY OVER THE RIGHT HANDED BATTERS BOX LINE. THE PITCH AGAINST LOWELL WAS IN THE SAME PLACE. NOT EVEN FUCKING REMOTELY CLOSE.

ITS TOUGH ENOUGH TO BEAT RIVERA WE DON'T NEED THE FUCKING UMPIRES DOING HIS JOB FOR HIM.

Now... can we pry Atlanta's cold, dead hands off of Gonzalez to help our pen?

Sure, just give us Beckett or Papelbon and he's yours! tongue-smiley-8870.gif

Seriously, he's way too good to give up, he just doesn't blow saves....what can you give up for that??? He's cheap, we will need him in 2009....

Edited by BERIGAN

I don't think that's an option unless you are willing to give up the farm for Teixeira (and risk him leaving) or that dude from Colorado who barely hits outside of Coors.

Yes, give up the farm! :excited: That is, if you've got any hitting down there...we are not dying for pitching, strangely enough...If you trade for Tex, he's what, 9 years younger, and will play 155-162 games every year. And no Tex being Tex issues. If "you" would be paying Manny 20 Mil next year, why not dump him instead, and pay 23 Mil for Tex??? I'd think the peace of mind would be easily worth 3 mil...I know, for several years afterwards but....if you have JD Drew for years, Tex is a much safer bet long term...

Or, get Holliday. Over the last 3 years, he's hit .281 on the road, .370 at home. With guys forever on base, and that green wall, he'd hit .300 easily..... He hit .294 last year in the WS.

Everyone said Andres Galarraga would never put up the numbers he did back when Mile high was a home run haven. Last year in Colorado,(at the age of 36) 41, 140, .318. First year with the braves, 44, 121 .305. He's a gamer, no doubt....

Edited by BERIGAN

Justin (Joba) is a fucking moron, but he can pitch. All the more reason why Youkilis had *every* right to be pissed off.

Tito's first mistake: using that stupid goddamned shift.

Tito's second mistake: you know Beckett is coming out of the game, you know the team needs to be inspired; put Becket in the game and let him drill the first batter, get tossed, get the team riled, then maybe win a game.

Post-game, Tito came as close as I've ever witnessed to throwing a player under the bus (useless Manny). Think Atlanta would take him in the Teix deal?

All I'll say about the umpiring (other than full agreement with Dan -- that guy sucked both ways; Beckett had a few strikes 3 inches off the floor) is, I've *never* seen Lowell lose it like that. That ump flat out sucked.

Post-game part 2, moronic Boston reporters don't talk about the game, don't ask about the ump, the shift... none of it. All the talk about is Manny. Fuck Manny! I'm tired of his act and hearing about it. Good riddance.

You're absolutely right about using Beckett to drill someone, but the fact is that after a warning is issued, he'd not only get tossed he'd also get suspended and miss a start. But Joba is going to get one of his teammates hurt, of that you can be sure.

There's no way Manny is sent away because Atlanta wouldn't even take on two months of that salary. And if they want bats, they want bats they can control, not someone they have to exercise a twenty million dollar option on.

Typical Boston media to ask about Manny. It doesn't make sense with two months to go for Tito to throw Manny under the bus. He's here, he has to produce for us to win. Deal with it.

ESPN is reporting that the Yankees have acquired Damaso Marte and Xavier Nady for Ross Ohlendorf and three cans of corn. Now we're talking.

Up over and out.

Yeah... the guy that pitched himself out of the American League and the guy that can't seem to hold a starting OF job. Up, over, and huh?

ESPN is reporting that the Yankees have acquired Damaso Marte and Xavier Nady for Ross Ohlendorf and three cans of corn. Now we're talking.

Up over and out.

Yeah... the guy that pitched himself out of the American League and the guy that can't seem to hold a starting OF job. Up, over, and huh?

Huh to you too....

Nady is batting .330 with 13 home runs and 57 RBIs. Marte is 4-0 with a 3.47 ERA and 47 strikeouts in 46 2/3 innings. Still sounds pretty good to me.

Up over and out.