Classic Game Shows

These questions and answers are from Hollywood Squares, it reminded me of how funny the old shows were.

Q: If you're going to make a parachute jump, you should be at least how high?

A: Charley Weaver: Three days of steady drinking should do it.

Q: True or false...a pea can last as long as 5,000 years.

A: George Gobel: Boy it sure seems that way sometimes...

Q: You've been having trouble going to sleep. Are you probably a man or a woman?

A: Don Knotts: That's what's been keeping me awake.

Q: According to Cosmo, if you meet a stranger at a party and you think he's really attractive, is it okay to come out directly and ask him if he's married?

A: Rose Marie: No, wait until morning.

Q: Which of your five senses tends to diminish as you get older?

A: Charley Weaver: My sense of decency.

Q: In Hawaiian, does it take more than three words to say "I love you"?

A: Vincent Price: No, you can say it with a pineapple and a twenty.

Q: In bowling, what's a perfect score?

A: Rose Marie: Ralph, the pin boy.

Q: Can boys join the Camp Fire Girls?

A: Marty Allen: Only after lights out.

Q: When you pat a dog on its head he will usually wag his tail. What will a goose do?

A: Paul Lynde: Make him bark.

Q: Who stays pregnant for a longer period of time, your wife or your elephant?

A: Paul Lynde: Who told you about my elephant?

Q: When a couple have a baby, who is responsible for it's sex?

A: Charley Weaver: I'll lend him the car. The rest is up to him.

Q: Jackie Gleason recently revealed that he firmly believes in them and has actually seen them on at least two occasions. What are they?

A: Charley Weaver: His feet

Q: Do female frogs croak?

A: Paul Lynde: If you hold their little heads under water long enough.

Match Game was also a favorite of mine.

:g Ah yes...match game!!! I used to watch that all the time as a kid...that's when manly men were on game shows, Charles Nelson Reilly, Paul Lynde... :w Always liked Gene Rayburn....

Anyone watch the game show network??? I have watched black and white overnight a few nights when my Mom was having trouble sleeping, and have caught shows such as I'VE GOT A SECRET, What's my Line, etc....and have learned about such "famous" folk as Arlene Francis, Dorothy Kilgallen...they seem like snobbish blue bloods, but damn, they really do seem well read, use them big words, I think it would be hard to do shows like theirs today.....

Ah, the old Hollywood Squares! Great stuff, and it really shows how CRAPPY the new one is. I checked it out once, and it felt like watching an animated corpse...

As for Match Game, that show wouldn't have been half as good without Gene Rayburn's leer! :lol:

Yeah, the new Hollywood Squares doesn't do much for me. They need Jm J Bullock to liven it up a bit or something. Paul Lynde on the old show was the best.

Gene Rayburn was pretty funny. The banter between him, Brett Somers, and Charles Nelson Rielly was great.

Another show I liked was Make Me Laugh. That was a great place to see former Hogan's Heroes.

:rsmile:

Anybody remember the 1960s verion of Match Game on NBC, the one w/"Swingin' Safari" as its theme song? That one wasn't played for laughs, but Jayne Mansfield was a regular (remember, there were two teams, each with a celebrety captain), so what the hell.

LOVE the old game shows myself, going back to the 1950s. Watched a steady diet of them every day until I started kindergarten, and even then watched them during summers well into adulthood,

GSN used to be really hip, before they started focusing on their original shows, some of which are ok, some of which... They used to show the late 60s/early 70s version of To Tell The Truth (probably my all-time fave), the one w/Gary Moore as host, and the one with sets that looked like Peter Max came in, threw a bunch of stuff out on the set from which to pick and choose, and never came back to finish the gig. GREAT stuff. Orson Bean and his customized 1s, 2s, or 3s, Kitty Carlise (who I always thought was about 100 years old. Reruns have since proven me wrong), Peggy Cass, Nipsey Russell, etc. I had a run of about 3 months where I got EVERY contestant right. Thought about getting a gig w/the FBI there for a second!

The all time game show king is my man, Bill Cullen. I dig this cat so much, I wrote an as yet unrecorded tune for Quartet Out called "Polio Bill" in his honor, complete w/a "game show" bridge that goes through all the wakily incongruent yet irrepressibly sunny modulations, and a "Love Supreme-style chant towards the end that goes "Polio Bill was the game show king, Polio Bill did the game show thing", played for laughs, but serious laughs, if you know what I mean. This cat was the consummate "Golden Era" TV personality, and he had a career of staggering longevity. They don't make'em like that anymore.

Also once on GSN, the Larry Blyden-hosted What's My Line, a lower budget version of the classic deal, but still plenty o'fun, I saw Dizzy Gillespie (guessed by Soupy Sales) and Duke Ellington (guessed by Jack Cassidy, whose ascots were a show unto themselves) as mystery guests, and Mel Torme was a frequent panelist. That was a fine show too, especially the older prime-time CBS version w/Bennet Cerf as a regular. Now THAT guy was a trip! Arlene Francis stuck around on WML for what seemd like forever. You can see her on the early 50s version straight throuh into the 70s. Dorothy Kilgallen, though, was not so lucky...

Hope this thread gets legs and goes a while, becasue I love this stuff. Anybody remember Video Village? Henry Morgan? Wally Cox? Camoflage? I'll Bet? You Don't Say? Betsy Palmer (Mmmmmm!)? Peggy Cass? Polly Bergan (another Mmmmmmm!)? Password? The Bill Cullen-era The Price Is Right? Treasure Island? Henry Morgan? Robert Q. Lewis?

Oh yeah, I love the classic game shows.

Edited by JSngry

My earliest TV memories are watching Concentration with my mom. Wasn't that Bill Cullen? It was so long ago, and so early in life, it's hard to remember. I'll never forget the moment that hooked me on my alltime favorite game show forever, though. I had just turned 9, and my grandmother asked me the "Final Jeapordy" answer (back in the Art Fleming days, of course!), and by some chance I knew the question (The answer was something like "In addition to the fame he received for his role leading to the Revolutionary War, he was a famous silversmith, or something like that...) Anyway, I realize now that it was one of the easy ones, but knowing the "big question" on the show made me feel pretty cocky, and I became a Jeapordy fan. Still am, and I'm still one of those annoying people who shouts out the answers while watching. Hey, everyone's entitled to one annoying habit! :g

The Newlywed Game!

Bob: Here's the last of our five-point questions. Girls, tell me where, specifically, is the weeeeeiirdest place that you personally, girls, have ever gotten the urge the make whoopee. The weirdest place. Olga?

Olga: Umm . . . (audience laughter)

[pause]

Bob: Yes, Olga?

Olga: Uh . . .

Henry: Go ahead.

Bob: Yes, Olga.

Olga: I'm trying to think. Umm . . . [Turns to husband.] Gee Henry, what did you say?

Bob: Hey, don't ask him. He can't help you out at all.

Olga: Is it in the ass? [Last three words bleeped]

Bob: No no no . . . no . . . what I'm talking about is the weirdest location, the weirdest place . . .

Olga: The weirdest location. I don't know. [Laughs]

Hank: [Laughs uproariously]

I've heard this one told all different ways. I always heard the response from the wife was "in the butt Bob." I recently saw a clip on VH-1 that makes me think it was closer to the transcript I posted.

Either way, it's funny.

newleywed2.jpg

Oh yeah - the back to back of Dating Game & Newlywed game was a summer afternoon ritual for me for many years. ABC also had Let's Make A Deal, and when they also had Where The Action Is (not a game show) on, it was an ABC afternoon, broken up only by General Hospital (NEVER dug the soaps...)

Let's Make A Deal was the shit.

Great game show host name = Monty Hall

Great game show model = Carol Merrill

Great Game Show Announcer = Jay Stewart

monty_hall.jpg

Incidentally one of the best episodes of the Odd Couple in my opinion was when Felix and Oscar were on Let's Make A Deal.

Edited by catesta