Sting - "Sacred Love"

Kari S

Anyone heard this? Comments?

I bought the UK version, which has one bonus track "Like A Beautiful Smile". It's the best track... :rolleyes: It's some "vintage Sting" with a definite 80's "Dream Of The Blue Turtles"-ish vibe. Jazzy harmonies, but being very funky and catchy at the same time. The rest of the album feels like he's desperately needed to finish the album as quick as possible, and that he's run out of fresh ideas. At least half of the tracks either are literally based on some of his old songs or are reminiscent of songs on the previous album. He's even written a new melody on "Bring On The Night". That was the song the late Kenny Kirkland always played his piano solo on live (or the funky part, from another song).

The first track, "Inside", is great. Although I'm not sure about the rant he has at the end of the song ("annihilate me, infiltrate me, incinerate me, accelerate me, mutilate me etc." - this goes on & on). And although I generally despise Mary J. Blige, the tune on which she sings is also quite good.

I've got the one Free For All mentions, and it's quite good. IMO.

I'm really hesitant about picking up this new one though. There was even a special on A&E the other night featuring the making of this album; I wonder if it's the same program as on the dvd "Inside Sacred Love"? The tunes just weren't grabbing me, not like his stuff usually does. I like all of his solo albums, pretty much but so far nothing that I've heard from this set has any type of the immediacy or hooks that his music usually possesses.

I'm really trying to resist picking up the SACD. I wonder if I'll win... :w

There is/was a release of Sting and Evans called "Last Session" recorded live at the Perugia Jazz Festival, July 11,1987. It is/was on the Jazz Door label, so it's probably a boot, right?

There's actually a couple different versions of this CD out there, on different "gray-market" labels. Slightly different track-listings, but 90% the same music. Well worth seeking out, on a number of different levels -- especially if you happen to find it used, and cheap.

I'm really trying to resist picking up the SACD. I wonder if I'll win...

Well, the (hybrid-)SACD version is the one to get if you decide to do so. I don't know about the US version, but the great bonus track I mentioned is included at least in the UK and Japanese versions. Jason Rebello's very "Kirkland-ish" piano solo on "Never Coming Home" can also be heard completely on the SACD version. It's faded out on the regular one.

I didn't care for his last record and this one seems to be more of the same. I'm also turned off by the media blitz that's been happening surrouding it's release. In one day I heard an interview with him on NPR and then saw him on 60 Minutes later that night answering the same questions with the same answers.

His last great record, IMO was Ten Summoners Tales.

At times insufferably smarmy, no doubt, but Sting is a talented man and one whose music I often enjoy.

If the only musicians I listened to were the kind of people I would want to hang out with, well, I'd seldom listen to music and would have very few people to hang around with to boot.

There's actually a couple different versions of this CD out there, on different "gray-market" labels. Slightly different track-listings, but 90% the same music. Well worth seeking out, on a number of different levels -- especially if you happen to find it used, and cheap.

The one I have is called, "Strange Fruit". Don't have the label details handy but the tracks are:

1. Tea In The Sahara

2. Exp

3. Sureal

4. Consider Me Gone

5. Strange Fruit

6. All Over

7. Little Wing

8. There Comes A Time

9. Tribute To M.

His last great record, IMO was Ten Summoners Tales.

I would have said the record before that, "The Soul Cages", was his last really great record. "Ten Summoner's Tales" was good, but no where near as good as everything he'd done before it.

There have been individual tracks off of all his albums since, that are really good singles - maybe - but Mr. Sting hasn't turned in a really great album in 10 or 12 years (IMHO).

I saw Sting play live about 7 years ago, and it was one of the most "so-so" shows I had seen in a long time. I'm not very much of a Dave Matthews fanatic, but (because of my wife) I've been to 4 or 5 Dave Matthews shows that were all better than that one Sting show (in about '96).

This is probably my favorite Sting release of the last 10 years, but it's not a studio album of all new material. It was recorded live, and has an interesting augmented group backing him up, with cello, acoustic piano, trumpet, pedal steel guitar, and trombone. Worth picking up if you find it used at a decent price:

e984415zzz6.jpg

Sting: All This Time (2001)

1. Fragile (Sting) - 4:35

2. A Thousand Years (Kipper/Sting) - 3:02

3. Perfect Love...Gone Wrong (Sting) - 4:11

4. All This Time (Sting) - 5:20

5. The Hounds of Winter (Sting) - 4:29

6. Don't Stand So Close to Me (Sting) - 2:15

7. When We Dance (Sting) - 4:52

8. Dienda (Kirkland/Sting) - 3:12

9. Roxanne (Sting) - 3:36

10. If You Love Someone Set Them Free (Sting) - 4:57

11. Brand New Day (Sting) - 4:46

12. Fields of Gold (Sting) - 3:50

13. Moon Over Bourbon Street (Sting) - 2:55

14. If I Ever Lose My Faith in You (Sting) - 4:31

15. Every Breath You Take (Sting) - 5:04

Soul Cages is probably my favorite record of his. I think he was at his lyrical best. Very poetic and filled with great imagery.

One thing that I've been thinking about lately. On that 60 Minutes interview they said he makes $2000 a day from the royalties of "Every Breath You Take".

$2000 a day for one song. They also said his net worth is $300 million. Wow!

And Kenny Kirkland died of a drug overdose in NY. You know what I'm sayin? How much do you think Kenny was making at that time? All the musicians he's used to make his records... are any of them making that kind of money? I mean I realize he's the star and the song-writer but come on... none of those records would've been what they've been without the musicians.

Just makes you sad if you think about it.

Revolver: Right. We've come to the last big single King Of Pain, a song that's a fine metaphor for the entire Police experience - including this interview.

Stewart Copeland: Stingo, you always considered yourself to be the King of Pain. You had this concept at the time that you were Satan, that you were the evil one. I felt that it was my duty to point out to you that, no you were not Satan, you were not Beelzebub, You were just a common garden-variety asshole.

Sting: Shut up, Stewart. Have a drink, take a valium.

• 3 years later...

When I become dictator of Britain Mr. Sting will be the first one rounded up and carted off to the football stadium!

My irrational loathing of the man and all his works knows no limit!

Be sure to get a shot of him poetically gazing off into the distance as he's being prodded into the squad car.

Edited by Teasing the Korean