Sports: 2008 NBA Playoffs

It's been obvious to me since the 2006 Eastern Conference Finals, when looking at Dwayne Wade the wrong way got you a foul. Same for the 2007 ECFs and LeBron.

Superstars get the calls and get away with fouls on other players like nobody's business. That's just the way it is and why teams like the Pistons will not win another championship in this era without a big name superstar.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about you, but I expected it. Flip was never a good choice for the type of team the Pistons had in the first place. I predicted his demise if they did not win on another bb I am on. And lo and behold. Now just watch, you are going to see a couple of players eliminated from the Piston mix also. Remember, you heard it here first. And then there was the Flip Saunders curse (losing the big series) continuously.

:bwallace2:

It was expected. Did he deserve it? Well, he had three seasons to at least get the team back to the Finals and he didn't do it. I was not happy when they fired Rick Carlisle, since I thought he did a really great job, but obviously there comes a time when you need to make a change in order to get to the next level.

I predict 'Sheed will not be back and possibly Tayshaun. I cannot see Dumars getting rid of Rip (an extremely valueable and talented shooter) or Chauncey (who just signed a big contract last year). McDyess, if he doesn't retire, will probably come off the bench. I would start Maxiell in his place and try to get another big man.

Well Jim,

You see things the same way I do, Sheed has to go. Billups should go but is under new contract and Pistons can't afford that now. I always seen to detect a complacency in Billups when he Pistons are losing a lead. He seems to want to be the one to "bring them back from a deficit" and it doesn't always work. Tayshaun Prince is very unhappy in the way he is used especially in the games they lose. He is best defender in league, he can score if point guard sets him up properly, which Billups has not been doing lately. I have seen it in his face all year that he is discontent especially when the Pistons are blowing a big lead. It is so obvious. So, he probably wants out. And he will be good trade bait. McDyss is valuable to no end. Only age will limit his playing time. They might trade Lindsay Hunter while he is still able to bring talent in return.

:bwallace2:

last night at the bar, i broke out with the sky hook

i told this guy kareem would sky hook # 24 all night long

then i told these fools kareem shot over 50 % from the floor for his career

nobody believed me

kareem's stats

1560 games

24.6 PPG

.559 FG %

.721 FT % (slightly under the daddy's career mark....lol)

.056 3 PT FG %

Edited by Soulstation1

I would love to see Tayshaun Prince in a Sixers' uniform next season.

They have to blow up the team. They had a good run but the window has closed on this edition. Problem is they are not going to get a lot in return for a bunch of aging stars.

I would love to see Tayshaun Prince in a Sixers' uniform next season.

They have to blow up the team. They had a good run but the window has closed on this edition. Problem is they are not going to get a lot in return for a bunch of aging stars.

This is not going to be a good year for veteran stars to be traded. Most all teams are loaded with young good future stars and they are not going to give them up. Watch, the power is changing and basement teams are becoming top teams.

magic and bird should play 1 on 1 during half-time

Now that would be something to see, yeah.

A whole lot of shots rattled out for the Lakers, and they shot a poor percentage from the free throw line. That's a recipe for losing on the road, especially with the miserable officiating from Dick Bavetta and crew. Kobe needs to attack the basket and not settle for jumpers.

Celtics look strong, and they got fired up by Pierce's theatrics.

Seems like the refs were letting the Celtics man handle the Lakers a bit last night. Lots of fouls that didn't get called but as long as it goes both ways its nice to see the intensity and the physical play. Don't think for a second that Stern didn't tell the refs to make sure this goes at least 6 games.

Funny moment at my house last night when I said "oh come on" after a missed Laker shot. My wife asked me what was I doing, and said "are you rooting for the Lakers?" . Me a life long Warriors fan who even rooted for the Celtics against the Lakers in the 80's said "um. yeah. I am so sick of Boston sports fans, east vs west I got to go with the west coast team".

Wife: "BUT ITS THE LAKERS!"

I hate sports..

Ok, let's make this interesting.

I am a Piston fan and my team is not in the playoffs, ok!

Now, why is it every time the Lakers lose, it is the refs or some other lame excuse?? They got their asses kicked period. Same thing happend with the Magic and Kareem Lakers, got their butts kicked first two games and decided to fight back and won the series. This Laker team (and fans) needs to do the same and quit crying.

and I'm a Piston fan and they got their asses handed to them and it was nobody's fault but their own.

I mean, this is the internet and the tears are coming right through the wires up into my screen, damn!!

Ok, let's make this interesting.

I am a Piston fan and my team is not in the playoffs, ok!

Now, why is it every time the Lakers lose, it is the refs or some other lame excuse?? They got their asses kicked period. Same thing happend with the Magic and Kareem Lakers, got their butts kicked first two games and decided to fight back and won the series. This Laker team (and fans) needs to do the same and quit crying.

and I'm a Piston fan and they got their asses handed to them and it was nobody's fault but their own.

I mean, this is the internet and the tears are coming right through the wires up into my screen, damn!!

Right - a good team - and their fans - don't make excuses when they lose. (And I'm a Laker fan.)

Edited by paul secor

Whatever. I said what the Lakers need to do to win and I credited the Celtics. Anyone who knows the game of basketball knows the game last night had some mighty slanted officiating. The home-court advantage for every team has been especially obvious this year (for the Lakers, too). If you think that game last night was evenly called, you don't know what you're looking at.

Whatever. I said what the Lakers need to do to win and I credited the Celtics. Anyone who knows the game of basketball knows the game last night had some mighty slanted officiating. The home-court advantage for every team has been especially obvious this year (for the Lakers, too). If you think that game last night was evenly called, you don't know what you're looking at.

I wasn't taking a shot at you, Jon. I only saw the first quarter of last night's game, so I can't comment on the officiating. I just think that losing teams and their fans could take a cue from the Spurs' actions after game five of the Western finals ended with a non call. They accepted it and moved on without comment.

Edited by paul secor

A whole lot of shots rattled out for the Lakers, and they shot a poor percentage from the free throw line. That's a recipe for losing on the road, especially with the miserable officiating from Dick Bavetta and crew. Kobe needs to attack the basket and not settle for jumpers.

Celtics look strong, and they got fired up by Pierce's theatrics.

theatrics ? :rolleyes: - that's what we pay for!!! - word here is he won't practice till Sunday.

but cool that Pierce didn't get the call on the three point lean in - like last game 'gainst the Pistons - and the Lakers did!

:rhappy:

Well, let's try this.

Everybody knows that the NBA wanted the Lakers in the Finals, right? The Boston Celtics in the Finals, right?

So what is the problem. EVERYTHING evens out and it comes down to the team that has put themselves in a position to win.

Every team's fans makes remarks about the bad calls. It all evens out, every team gets good calls and bad calls. It evens out. So what happens, the best teams or, if you will, the best prepared teams win the series or individual games in question. That is really what is going on here.

Every year it is the same there, the ref this, the ref that. But what it comes down to is the most prepared team putting themselves in a position to win regardless of bad calls.

Now can I get a towel and wipe this crap off my computer?

scroll down,

in case you didn't understand, I just wanted to provoke some real competitive banter about the games. There are no personal attacks on anyone. :lol::g

The Lakers missed shots and free throws. Not much else to say beyond that. Kobe was well-defended and didn't press the issue enough. Odom got in foul trouble. The Celtics' Big Three all played well, and Sam Cassell played great off the bench. Pierce was so hurt that he could barely throw in back to back threes on fast breaks.

EDIT: Apologies to BruceW and Paul Secor, I'm a bit on edge lately and flew off the handle. Sorry to be such a jerk.

Edited by Noj