Release date of McLean's/Action?

wolff

Well, considering that a few titles had numbers assigned to them, and yet they never did come out "back in the day" (for instance, Sam Rivers "Dimensions and Extensions", or Blue Michell's very first album - the one with Joe Henderson), the numbering sequence doesn't necessarily mean that the LP came out at the same time as it's neighbors.

(It does mean that it probably did, but it doesn't prove that it did.)

Well, considering that a few titles had numbers assigned to them, and yet they never did come out "back in the day" (for instance, Sam Rivers "Dimensions and Extensions", or Blue Michell's very first album - the one with Joe Henderson), the numbering sequence doesn't necessarily mean that the LP came out at the same time as it's neighbors.

(It does mean that it probably did, but it doesn't prove that it did.)

Agreed :- however, the number sequence is usually a very good initial indication to go by and any deviations from this (such as the Rivers) have been fairly well publicised.

Now I think about it, I do recall at least one NYC copy of this up on ebay.

There must have been very few of those McLean 'Action' BN LPs with the NYK label. At that time I was waiting for each new McLean releases with the impatience of a Rooster Ties waiting for the next Andrew Hill now and the 'Action' copy I have is the Liberty one. The liner notes bear the BN 61st adress but the cover and the label have the Liberty tags.

If I remember well, 'Action' (the cover has 'Action, Action, Action') came out around 1968 shortly after BN went under Liberty in the fall of 1967.

The album was recorded on September 16, 1964 and was not released immediately.

The 'Right Now' session that was recorded on January 29, 1965 was released while BN was still owned by Lion and Wolf. It was BN LP 4215. The copy I have has the NYK label.

I was in NYK in the fall of 1967 and went to the BN offices on 61st Street to get their latest releases. The McLean 'Action' was not available at the time. Among the LPs I bought then were the Pete LaRoca 'Basra (BN 4205), Bobby Hutcherson 'Components (BN 4213), Joe Henderson 'Mode for Joe' (BN 4227), Wayne Shorter's 'All Seeing Eye' (BN 4232), all of which had just been released.

I have a blue and white BLP-4218 Liberty with an uninked promo embossment on the top left corner of the front cover. The catalog number suggests mono but I haven't listened to it in a while. (Ridiculous, because it's one of my favorites!) Vinyl is thicker than I remember Liberty pressings to be. Back of the jacket includes both mono and stereo catalog numbers but the front cover and disc label are 4218. Also, for what it's worth, my back jacket is W 61st St. Don't know if that helps......

Edited by Brandon Burke