Sam Lazar/Jimmy Forrest/Grant Green

bertrand

There was a thread a while back about how one of the tunes on Sam Lazar's Space Flight is the same as a tune on Jimmy Forrest's All The Gin Is Gone.

I did a search but I can't find it. A whole bunch of unrelated posts show up. I guess I don't know how to search.

Can anyone help me find it?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

I don't remember this thread, which might have been before I joined the board. I tried a search based on "+lazar +forrest" which only brought up a few posts in which both names were used, none of them what you want.

I think there's an archive of threads somewhere, where this stuff may be, but I don't know how to access it.

MG

I did some different searches both here and on Google but couldn't come up with anything. Sorry.

At one point when the board went down recent posts were lost. It could have been one of them. Another possiblity is that some keyword was misspelt or only referred to indirectly, so that it is difficult to find through a search.

Archive? AFAIK everything since the start in March 2003 is here. However, the archive of the 1999-2003 BNBB, which presumably is languishing somewhere, would be nice to add. Some great threads there.

OK - let's have another go at this.

Which tunes do you think are the same, Bertrand?

(I think I'll give both a spin later, see if I can pick one up, but I've heard both albums lots and never noticed. Most of "Space flight" are blues, and so are most of the cuts on "Gin". So...)

MG

This was from the http://homepage3.nifty.com/mrmanri/JimmyForrest/index.html site

b]# < Jimmy Forrest / Black Forrest > (Delmark DD-427)

Jimmy Forrest(ts), Harold Mabern(p), Grant Green(g), Gene Ramey(b), Elvin Jones(dr)

'59/12/10,12

BLACK FORREST ; DOG IT ; THESE FOOLISH THINGS ; SUNKENFOAL ; YOU GO TO MY HEAD ; BLACK FORREST ; WHAT'S NEW? ; BUT BEAUTIFUL ; ALL THE GIN IS GONE ; THESE FOOLISH THINGS

< Jimmy Forrest / All The Gin Is Gone > (Delmark DD-404)

Jimmy Forrest(ts), Grant Green(g), Harold Mabern(p), Gene Ramey(b), Elvin Jones(dr)

'59/12/10,12

ALL THE GIN IS GONE ; LAURA ; YOU GO TI MY HEAD ; MYRA ; CARAVAN ; WHAT'S NEW ; SUNKENFOAL

On Grant Greens Grantstand the title track is credited as being by Green

However as is usually the ear is a better judge ....I will play it tonight at home and get another ( and more correct opinion)