Miles Davis Remaster

Peter

Am considerring updating my very old copies of "'Round About Midnight", "Milestones", "Kind of Blue". Seems to be at least two remasters currently in print, 20 bit & 24 bit. 24 bit seems to be the older of the two. Recommendations please?

Am considerring updating my very old copies of "'Round About Midnight", "Milestones", "Kind of Blue". Seems to be at least two remasters currently in print, 20 bit & 24 bit. 24 bit seems to be the older of the two. Recommendations please?

all I can say is my Miles cds of the Quintet produced before that digital maniac operating out of Sony Studios in NYC got his hands on the masters sound much better that the later remasterings. (you know the ones with the bonus tracks). so maybe upgrading won't give you much improvement.

Well, my experience differs.

For "Round About Midnight" get the two cd deluxe version that includes the Pasadena show. Win win there.

I find the SACDs of the Miles titles to sound very good (I don't have them all but I do have some) if you have an appropriate player.

I've never been a big fan of upgrading, but I had all of those in the old "Columbia Jazz Masterpiece" versions (the covers had a blue border, Kind of Blue had a completely wrong cover.) I bought the speed corrected KOB when it first came out and it was a tremendous improvement. The other two, I have as part of the Miles & Coltrane set and, again, they sound a million times better.

I've never been a big fan of upgrading, but I had all of those in the old "Columbia Jazz Masterpiece" versions (the covers had a blue border, Kind of Blue had a completely wrong cover.) I bought the speed corrected KOB when it first came out and it was a tremendous improvement. The other two, I have as part of the Miles & Coltrane set and, again, they sound a million times better.

The 'Columbia Jazz Masterpiece' was the biggest attempt to destroy jazz, since Hitler banned 'negro muzik' in the late thirties. If you won't go for vinyl, (the titles you named are easily available as originals and later reissues at cheap price, I would reccomend the german and dutch pressings of seventies, over here you can get them at cd price or less) any other digital reissues are preferable.

The remastered individual albums were released shortly after the relevant box sets.

I don't know about two different remasters (20bit and 24bit), but the reissues are a huge upgrade over the intitial CD versions, which are among the worst jazz CD reissues ever. Some find Mark Wilder's remastering a bit cold sounding, but we're talkung about nuances and preferences here, whereas the first CD reissues were a disgrace.

The remastered individual albums were released shortly after the relevant box sets.

I don't know about two different remasters (20bit and 24bit), but the reissues are a huge upgrade over the intitial CD versions, which are among the worst jazz CD reissues ever. Some find Mark Wilder's remastering a bit cold sounding, but we're talkung about nuances and preferences here, whereas the first CD reissues were a disgrace.

Wilder remixed many of the Miles cds, if not all, adding further manipulation and processing to the original masters which Teo supervised the mixing of. that is a major refry and is not about nuances. any listen to the digital refry of Miles Ahead should hear the poor results.

I believe the versions I prefer are the original masters simply transferred to digital on most occasions.

Wilder remixed many of the Miles cds, if not all, adding further manipulation and processing to the original masters which Teo supervised the mixing of. that is a major refry and is not about nuances. any listen to the digital refry of Miles Ahead should hear the poor results.

I believe the versions I prefer are the original masters simply transferred to digital on most occasions.

In that case, your best option would be the first japanese CD reissues (35DP series), but they are hard to find and can be very expensive.

http://servercc.oakton.edu/~larry/miles/ma...ssonyjapan.html