2nd session on "Sonic Boom"

Guest donald petersen

Better than I remember it, actually, although Lee is probably the leat interesting player on here (which IS how I remember it). George Coleman is in excellent form throughout, better than usual, I think, and the rhythm section kicks nicely as well. Still not a standout, and the material overall is no cause for celebration, and it STILL pales to it's companion session (although not as much as it did in the previous grouping), but I'll bump this one up a notch on the ol' estimation-o-meter.

One thing that helps, I think, is that they seem to have removed a LOT of the reverb that was on the old LP release (based on my memory anyway, so it's probably EXACTLY the same, but I don't think so), and that gives the playing more presence, more up-front immediacy. Since the playing isn't so superbadass that it transcends all sonic liabilities, the removal of a layer of distance makes a crucial difference, at least to me. I found myself enjoying and feeling this session in a way I never have before.

So hey - mission accomplished Blue Note!

I'm glad I read this thread but I also noticed the distortion throughout the second session.

There isn't really an isolated incident. It occurs all over the horns in the left channel. I am definitely curious to know whether this was recorded too hot or the mastering was poor.